shape
carat
color
clarity

1st time buying a diamond (with pics) - pls help?

kaydizzle

Rough_Rock
Hi PS-ers

This is my first diamond purchase (engagement ring) and I've hit a stumbling block.

I'm basically tossing up whether to get a slightly larger stone that has only a 'good' symmetry and polish, or a slightly smaller stone with a 'very good' symmetry and 'excellent' polish. Essentially, can you tell the difference in polish and symmetry grades?
Second - whats the difference between a 3 out of 10 bow tie effect and a 4 out of 10? Will the 4 be noticeably more obvious?

Thank you in advance!! :love:

STONE #1 (with pic)

- Pear shape
- $25,500
- 2.1 carat
- Very good cut
- E color
- VS2
- Depth %: 59.5%
- Table %: 60%
- Polish: Good
- Symmetry: Good
- Bow tie: 3 out of 10
- Girdle: Thin to Slightly Thick, Faceted
- Culet: None
- Fluorescence: None
- Measurements: 11.43 x 7.43 x 4.42 mm
- Length/width ratio: 1.54
stone_1__2_0.jpg

Stone #2 (with pic)

- Pear shape
- $24,300
- 2.0 carat
- very good cut
- E color
- VS2
- Depth %: 59.7%
- Table %: 61%
- Polish: Excellent
- Symmetry: Very Good
- Bow tie: 4 out of 10
- Girdle: Slightly Thick to Very Thick
- Culet: None
- Fluorescence: None
- Measurements: 10.77 x 7.25 x 4.33 mm
- Length/width ratio: 1.49

stone__2__2_carat_.jpg

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
Hard to tell by your pics. The first one looks very white and twinkly. You have to put them next to each other in the same light. Also with fancies, you can't go by the specs alone, you have to eyeball them and see which one appeals to you. Good luck!

CopperTop

Rough_Rock
Can you see them in person? Because that first one has spotlighting on it that looks very odd.

kaydizzle

Rough_Rock
I would have to purchase them to eyeball them unfortunately. And then go through the rigmarole of an international return process. they do kind of look quite similar, except to me I think I see the symmetry issues in the first stone.

I am so new at this that I don't know if the symmetry and polish being only 'good' on the first stone will stop the light/brilliance coming through it as well as the second stone. :confused:

Thanks again for helping me out everyone.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Other than with antique stones, I pretty much require a minimum of very good polish and symmetry and prefer excellent. I just feel like if the cutter has done his best, he will finish it to at least be very good. But with pears, you do really have to consider the bowtie even moreso. I think you need more pictures, a video, and preferably ASET images to be able to make this choice.

kaydizzle

Rough_Rock
Thanks Diamondseeker 2006!
Will the ASET show the bow-tie more accurately?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ASET will show the light return (and leakage) of the stone. Some pears have a lot of dead areas. If you are buying for your gf, did she request a pear?

kaydizzle

Rough_Rock
It's for me, and yes, I want a pear :naughty:

I don't think i can get an ASET, sadly. The pictures seem to be the best I can manage from the vendors. I' just concerned with bow-tie and getting the best sparkle without any obvious 'defects'. I think I notice the table being off centre in the first stone, but I am not sure if that's just the photograph or not....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results