shape
carat
color
clarity

1st Birthdays - Do you celebrate on the day or the wknd?

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Just looking for some quick feedback here...

Do/did you celebrate your baby's first birthday on the actual day, or on the weekend before/after? Why/why not?

My daughter's 1st bday falls on a Tuesday this year. She's in daycare. At the moment, I'm just thinking of having a litle 'cake and celebration' type get-together ( borrowed from the last bday thread :)) ), nothing fancy or fussy at all. I'm just wondering whether we should do this on the Tuesday after she gets home from daycare or the Saturday after.

Thoughts? Experiences? For those who celebrated on the wknd - did you do anything special on the actual day?

Thanks!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
We celebrated over the weekend--frankly it is practical for friends and family (and us since we both work). On the actual day we did not do anything since she honestly didn't know the difference. Although I did give her a little cupcake and put a b'day hat and sing to her and say happy birthday when I came home :). That was more for me.

This year she still didn't really understand, but appreciates it a bit more--so I had the party on the weekend and then took the day off on the actual day and did things she loves (went to the farm, ate ice cream etc, cake for just us,etc).

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
We had 2 small family parties for K's first b-day, one the weekend before with my family and one the weekend after with DH's family (we live 4 horus from them). His b-day was on a Friday, we didn't do anything special on the actual day since he was getting 2 parties anyway.

At 1, I wouldn't worry about doing anything on the actual day.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
we did it on the day but it was just family. Any parties we have for her though are the weekend BEFORE her birthday...apparently it isn't kosher in asian culture to do it after the bday. Who knew?

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Her birthday was on a Thursday. We both took the day off from work and spent the day with her. We put a "special" birthday outfit and took her out for a little while, then had dinner and cut a cake. It was just with the grandparents. We celebrated her birthday on a weekend...just a month later :lol:

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
We did the weekend. She didn't know the difference ;))

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
This year Daisy's birthday was on a Monday so we celebrated on the Sunday: I baked a cake, made a picnic and we went to the zoo with other friends who had very young kids.

On the Monday we went to playgroup and they make a fake birthday cake for any child whose birthday is that week and give them a 1st Birthday foil helium balloon (was one of D's favourite presents!) and sing Happy Birthday.

Then in the afternoon I wrote her a long email about her first year and sent it at the exact time she was born. DH set her up an account when she was born and we email her for milestones, amusing events or just because. All the relatives have the address and lots of them email her things too.

Although she won't remember her 1st birthday, I had lots of fun doing it and she can never accuse us of doing nothing when she's a sulky teenager! In the future we will celebrate properly on the weekend - either before or after depending on which is closer/more convenient but do presents and her choice of meal on the actual day.

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the feedback, ladies! :)) I'm thinking more of the weekend also, since it'll be more convenient for everyone. I like the ideas for doing something special on the day of, though. I think I would feel bad shuffling her off to daycare on her birthday without making it kind of special. Maybe I'll borrow the cupcake and party hat idea, Jas. :)) ...and maybe I'll ask the daycare to sing her 'Happy Bday' as well. Hmmm.,.it's either that or taking the day off work,., :Up_to_something: Either way,. we'll probably do a little something special on the day and celebrate properly on the weekend.

Pandora - that email idea is soooo cool!!!

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
We celebrated on the day, but I had maternity leave until she was 14 months, so I was home during the week. DH took the day off work as vacation and we went out for the day - went to the zoo and had lunch, then had an informal drop-in party (well, just cake really) at home for friends and family from 4pm.

Either way, it will be fine - no one year old will know the difference and they'll still love their special day(s). I hope you and DH enjoy it too - it's quite an achievement to survive the first year!

Jen

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Jennifer! I agree - the celebration will likely be more for us than anyone else. Time has really flown by!

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It does go by so quickly, doesn't it. :(sad

You do have possibly one of the world's cutest babies, though!

Jen

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Jennifer W said:
It does go by so quickly, doesn't it. :(sad

You do have possibly one of the world's cutest babies, though!

Jen

awwww......stop! ( :razz: shuffle, shuffle...blush, blush...) :D thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results