shape
carat
color
clarity

How long does Tiffany Sterling Silver Jewelry Last?

radiantbeauty

Shiny_Rock
I am working on obtaining staple pieces of jewelry for my collection. Classic yellow and white gold plain hoops are currently on the list. Tiffany has a pair of sterling silver hoops that I think are gorgeous from their Elsa Perretti collection and they ONLY carry it in the Sterling Silver version and not white gold.

I am wondering if it's worth the purchase in sterling silver or if I should have them custom made in white gold.

I would like to know if, for the longevity of the piece, if the Tiffany sterling silver will last.

TIA for your feedback :D

patricias

Shiny_Rock
Trade
If you take reasonably good care of these earrings they should last a lifetime, and then some. Earrings don't generally take a lot of abuse, so you don't have to worry about abrading the metal. Just don't lose them.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a Tiffany silver bracelet from the 40's that has held up very well and only looks better with age =)

radiantbeauty

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the feedback patricias and Jimmianne.

40 years! wow! I feel a little more confident with the sterling silver selection. :bigsmile:

I should edit this thread to add, would you prefer Tiffany Sterling Silver or 18K White Gold as the gold type for a piece you plan to wear for a long time?

Please share!

Thanks all!

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Do know that Tiffany & Co does not plate their sterling silver. It does develop a patina over time. Some like it, others do not.

radiantbeauty

Shiny_Rock
Thanks ruby59 - The Tiffany SA told me that their silver does tarnish; however, with a polishing cloth, it can be removed and the piece well maintained. He also stated in comparison to white gold, that it too, will require maintenance over time and I will have to rhodium plate it to keep its shine and color. So from his perspective, either metal would require maintenance.

I just want to know which metal is a better choice for longevity.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a Tiffany sterling silver ring my aunt and uncle gave me around 38 years ago and it is still beautiful and classic but does need to be polished. Personally I prefer gold or platinum because there is less energy involved in wearing it. I wear it when I want and don't have to polish it. I know it seems like a minor inconvenience but it is a personal decision.

I also think of gold or platinum as more of a staple metal if that makes sense. However if the Elsa Peretti earrings you love and want are only in sterling silver than I say go for it. If the polishing aspect doesn't bother you there is no reason not to purchase them. But in general I would choose gold or platinum if there is a choice. Please come back with ear shots once you get them!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results