shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring design and accent diamonds guidance

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
All:

I have a vintage brooch with a blue stone of unknown type. I showed it to a friend who works for a high end jewelry well versed in colored stones they said they believed it was a beryl? The pin is silver and is at least 45 years old (i only know because it was my grandmothers and she died when i was little --everything went to my mother). Clearly being silver and a pretty humdrum piece the stone cannot be of much valuee but the color has always struck me as special. I love the stone. It has purple-y/periwinkle tone and is just luminous. Incredible sparkle... Anyway-I plan to have a ring made and I want it to be special. My goal is to have it look like a vintage piece, have a non engagement ring look, not be gaudy, sit low to the hand and have small diamonds but not modern micropave. I am thinking single cuts but I need a bench jeweler that can create something that looks estate but isnt froufy if that makes sense. The stone is probably the size of a 3 carat diamond. I dont know the exact measurement. Any suggestions most welcome.

img_3654.jpg

img_3655.jpg

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
more pics

img_3656.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is very, very, pretty! I am doubting the beryl because blue in beryl is aquamarine, and that doesn't look like aquamarine to me at all. Iolite is more of a purple-blue, but I'd almost say sapphire is more likely. However, it could be synthetic since many pieces back during that time were. Do you want to have it tested to see what it is before having it set?

Beverley K makes vintage settings with accent diamonds if you want to get some ideas.

(I realize I may not be seeing the true color because of the background in the pics. It appears to have lavender as a secondary color, but can you see any green? I don't think aquamarine is going to have lavender/purple. It usually has some green.)

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It also could be a spinel, or a synthetic spinel... maybe send it off to AGL for a GemBrief? I think it is $70 for a mounted gemstone. If you are going to re-set it, I'd probably remove the stone and send it loose to AGL - this way, they can fully examine it, weigh it, measure it, etc., and you'll know exactly what it is, and your jeweler will know how to safely handle it.

Really pretty piece, by the way.. I know no one wears pins anymore, but it'd be kinda cool if you kept the pin setting, shined it up, and set it with an amethyst.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would guess that synthetic spinel or zircon are the likeliest candidates, given the hue and refraction you describe. David Klass has a good track record for making vintage style pieces (he just made a lovely one for a PSr called Redwood66, I believe). The brooch is beautiful. It would be interesting to see if whoever you choose could work a similar motif into the band, perhaps ....

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I am thinking it is a spinel.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1391991357|3611647 said:
That is very, very, pretty! I am doubting the beryl because blue in beryl is aquamarine, and that doesn't look like aquamarine to me at all. Iolite is more of a purple-blue, but I'd almost say sapphire is more likely. However, it could be synthetic since many pieces back during that time were. Do you want to have it tested to see what it is before having it set?

Beverley K makes vintage settings with accent diamonds if you want to get some ideas.

(I realize I may not be seeing the true color because of the background in the pics. It appears to have lavender as a secondary color, but can you see any green? I don't think aquamarine is going to have lavender/purple. It usually has some green.)

Thanks: I should have taken the photo on white paper. it has a lavender undertone. No green or yellow. However, it is lighter than it appears here. They didnt think it was synthetic but i suppose it could be. I dont really care because i love it but i am curious.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is possible that it isn't synthetic, of course. The lavender undertone is a plus as the ones I posted did not have that. That is one of my favorite colors for a colored stone! It is special because it is from your grandmother. I would set it, too!

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1392006785|3611763 said:
It is possible that it isn't synthetic, of course. The lavender undertone is a plus as the ones I posted did not have that. That is one of my favorite colors for a colored stone! It is special because it is from your grandmother. I would set it, too!

i actually assumed it was glass or synthetic. It is very lovely stone. Pictures dont do it justice (in my opinion). But thank you! I would love something like this setting

_14743.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, isn't that just lovely?!!! I can't wait to see it finished!

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1392007165|3611768 said:
Oh, isn't that just lovely?!!! I can't wait to see it finished!

where is David Klass located?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results