shape
carat
color
clarity

Time from acquiring a ring till the proposal?

SouthernSunset

Rough_Rock
This one is open to everyone. In truth the already married/engaged could answer this more accurately.

How long was it from the time an engagement ring was in your SO's hand till it was on your hand? The theme seems to be about 1-2 months.

For the not yet engaged ladies, do you know if he has the ring already? If so do you know a rough timeline of when it might happen?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
About 10 hours. It arrived in the post right before I came home for lunch that day, he spent the afternoon playing with it while I went to work, and it was on my finger before bed that evening.

gem_anemone

Brilliant_Rock
Mine was 2.5 months, but it felt like forever. :rodent:

SgrPlum12

Rough_Rock
I'd love to hear the answers from others as well. The ring he ordered from Whiteflash will be arriving in 3 days! I wonder how long he's going to have me wait before I can wear it. :loopy:

Julysnight

Rough_Rock
Less than one week. He said he ordered it the day after christmas.It arrived Monday and he proposed Saturday.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
About 8-9 hours. DH picked it up from overnight delivery while I was at work and proposed that evening.

jess719

Shiny_Rock
One and a half to two weeks! I was so mad! I knew he had it and he wasn't proposing. :lol: Now I realize there are men that wait a lot longer!

kalomeli

Shiny_Rock
Negative 3 months! :lol: I'm Finnish and it's very common for couples to shop rings together... we ended up being engaged for about 3 months before we bought rings for each other. The proposal was very sweet and he decided to take me shopping after the proposal because the poor guy has no idea what I wanted (well actually I didn't know either - except that I wanted platinum) and he had no way of knowing my ring size since back then I didn't wear rings.

From our friends those guys who proposed with a ring, it usually took about two weeks until the proposal took place after acquiring the ring.

antiquesparkler

Brilliant_Rock
497 days.... :errrr:

BUT! My grandmother gave us the diamond right before she passed in April of 2012 and although we had talked about spending our lives together we weren't quite there yet.

We finished up the ring in September 2012 and almost 11 months to the day he proposed. It was perfect and the timing made sense for us.

Obviously this isnt a normal situation but I thought I'd add it. :bigsmile:

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
antiquesparkler said:

BUT! My grandmother gave us the diamond right before she passed in April of 2012 and although we had talked about spending our lives together we weren't quite there yet.

We finished up the ring in September 2012 and almost 11 months to the day he proposed. It was perfect and the timing made sense for us.

You're not alone!! 450 days if you count from when we got it, but similarly, we only got it that early because it was preloved and came up at the time. I played with it myself for a few months and finally handed it over to his possession in February so 10 months if you count from that.

Schafenm

Shiny_Rock
Mine was 8 months!!! Everyone is different just enjoy the time! It really is the calm before the storm of planning the wedding! Dust that you get it sooner than later! :appl: :appl:

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
When we opened the FedEx box I could tell he wanted to propose (and he recently told me that was his intention), but my Aunt had died a couple of days previously and I was struggling. He didn't want to interfere with my families grieving, so it was in his sock drawer for about two weeks.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We decided to get married in January and bought rings (my diamond solitaire engagement ring and plain gold wedding bands for both of us) in March. The wedding was in July of the same year.

Cowboys4Life

Rough_Rock
My girlfriend picked out the setting she wanted and I went back and bought it the next day. I recently just had the diamond set into the setting and will be proposing somewhat soon. The reason I bought it so long ago is because I wanted to have it mostly paid off by the time I proposed so we(I) don't have to worry about payments when planning our wedding. So, total time from buying to proposing will be 1 year.

antiquesparkler

Brilliant_Rock
Cowboys4Life|1390488933|3599443 said:
My girlfriend picked out the setting she wanted and I went back and bought it the next day. I recently just had the diamond set into the setting and will be proposing somewhat soon. The reason I bought it so long ago is because I wanted to have it mostly paid off by the time I proposed so we(I) don't have to worry about payments when planning our wedding. So, total time from buying to proposing will be 1 year.

I think that is a really great idea and very responsible! :appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cannot remember with total accuracy because it was a long time ago and I had no clue he even bought a ring and was going to propose but I think it was at least 3 months or maybe a bit more. My dh was carrying it around in the car LOL and waiting for snow because he wanted to propose on a snowy day just like the weather on our first date. He's a romantic at heart.

vsp08

Rough_Rock
2 hours! We picked up the ring (that we chose together), and he could tell I wanted to wear it so badly that he proposed at the airport (we bought it during a trip to LA to visit my mom). He initially intended to wait a little while and propose back home, but I could not contain my excitement and he put me out of my misery. It was exactly how I wanted it to happen! :lol:

sandra063

Rough_Rock
about 2 weeks...felt like it was 2 light years though

SouthernSunset

Rough_Rock
So I thought I'd wait till more replies trickled in, I'm glad I did!

I must admit I had an ulterior motive for this thread. Most of the time I ask out of simple curiosity but I had personal stake in this one. :oops:

Schafenm said:
Mine was 8 months!!! Everyone is different just enjoy the time! It really is the calm before the storm of planning the wedding! Dust that you get it sooner than later! :appl: :appl:

antiquesparkler said:

pandabee said:
You're not alone!! 450 days if you count from when we got it, but similarly, we only got it that early because it was preloved and came up at the time. I played with it myself for a few months and finally handed it over to his possession in February so 10 months if you count from that.

I'm glad for these especially. (Not that I don't appreciate the rest! Its nice to get a look into other couples dynamics)

I found out SO has had the ring for a while... A year now, maybe a little more maybe a little less. Either way, it's been long enough that he can't remember what it looks like. o_O

He doesn't plan on proposing until October at the earliest to next April at the latest. For the life of me I don't know why.

1) Ring is an heirloom so doesn't need to be paid off.
2) We've bought and renovated house, have no mortgage or outstanding bills.
3) He has steady and stable work that he's happy with.
4) He's been talking about proposing almost a year.
5) We wouldn't get married till November 2015 at earliest to late February 2016 at latest, so plenty of time to plan/not worry/avoid stress.
6) We both have perfectly working cars in great condition paid off.

I have no idea why else he'd hold onto it for so long and wants to continue to. :confused:

Mommy2BMR

Shiny_Rock
About 5 hours...
We went and bought the ring together that morning. When we walked out of the store with it, my knees were shaking and my mouth was dry :lol: I was so so so excited. He took it and put it in his pocket. I didn't ask any questions and tried to talk/think about other things. That afternoon we were walking around doing thing we usually did, and somehow ended up in our favorite spot, also the place of our first kiss. I had a feeling but didn't dare to hope. And then he proposed.

Everyone is different, and every situation is different, as you can see from the responses here.

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
10 days, but should have been 8 :rolleyes:

franny_47

Rough_Rock
Around 2.5 months. But he was waiting to do it at the same music festival we met at 2 years earlier.

-Jenn-

Rough_Rock
my boyfriend will have the ring in his hands late this month / early next month.
then it has to be sized, but that shouldn't take long.

i'm hoping it's sooner rather than later!! :D he said it will be this year.
i have an inkling it's going to be november.
we're doing a 10-day tour of italy / rome / pomeii / venice, etc.
but november is a long time to wait!!! :errrr:

ice empress

Shiny_Rock
2 weeks (just found out as I asked from across the kitchen table... )

Maybe your bf is waiting for a specific occasion/time of year/event?

RT82

Rough_Rock
I'm picking the ring up on May16th and will propose when I walk in the door that evening. I figure why wait once I have it.
We've been together 5 years, talked about marriage etc., but I've picked the ring totally on my own and she has no idea its coming now. Should be a shocker!

RT82

Rough_Rock
Should also mention we're doing a 2-week trip to Europe at the end of May, but I want to jump the gun and do it before (not during) because:
1) its more unexpected
2) she'll have a week or so to celebrate/show off her ring etc
3) i know she'll be personally terrified to walk around with her new bling in unfamiliar areas (not an issue for me however)

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
ice empress|1398594160|3661118 said:
2 weeks (just found out as I asked from across the kitchen table... )

Maybe your bf is waiting for a specific occasion/time of year/event?

That's good . . . hope ice empress put a new perspective on it.

I think the pro is you have a time line. Five months from now and then a six month window.

Sooo my question to you Southern Sunset . . . with the -less- than eleven months you have as a single woman what are you going to do for -your- positive memory of the time?
Run a 5K
take a spa trip with one of your best girlfriends
try a new recipe once a month

Often if I focus on one thing I enjoy . . . other than (engagement/wedding planning/house/babies) the time goes by faster and I look back on it with what I accomplished not merely passing the time.

Happy Friday to all LIW

RingGirl

Rough_Rock
SouthernSunset|1391410103|3606849 said:
So I thought I'd wait till more replies trickled in, I'm glad I did!

I must admit I had an ulterior motive for this thread. Most of the time I ask out of simple curiosity but I had personal stake in this one. :oops:

Schafenm said:

antiquesparkler said:

pandabee said:

I'm glad for these especially. (Not that I don't appreciate the rest! Its nice to get a look into other couples dynamics)

I found out SO has had the ring for a while... A year now, maybe a little more maybe a little less. Either way, it's been long enough that he can't remember what it looks like. o_O

He doesn't plan on proposing until October at the earliest to next April at the latest. For the life of me I don't know why.

1) Ring is an heirloom so doesn't need to be paid off.
2) We've bought and renovated house, have no mortgage or outstanding bills.
3) He has steady and stable work that he's happy with.
4) He's been talking about proposing almost a year.
5) We wouldn't get married till November 2015 at earliest to late February 2016 at latest, so plenty of time to plan/not worry/avoid stress.
6) We both have perfectly working cars in great condition paid off.

I have no idea why else he'd hold onto it for so long and wants to continue to. :confused:

Men!
I hope my boyfriend doesn’t see those posts and think it’s OK to wait so long! :|

We picked out a setting together and he also bought a diamond, he says he is so busy with work and school that it would take him time to get to the jeweler - I hope he will not wait until my birthday in August. :roll:

If you feel like it’s time maybe you should hint or say something... April 2015 is a million years away!

SouthernSunset

Rough_Rock
@ice empress, we've passed all holidays, events, birthdays and anniversaries back by February. A few of them twice since he first mentioned he was proposing over a year ago. I think maybe he was close and his sister got engaged and it changed some things.

@16, haha well I've been to the spa for a girls and bachelorette weekend for my best friend and I do all the cooking so I try at least one new recipe a week, if not a couple so check? My ass will never run a 5k, ain't happening. Lol.

I'm just ready to be married. Not for kids or a wedding, we don't want kids for a while and having just a 15-20ish person destination wedding, so more like a vacation where we get married.

@Ringgirl, haha no! I would wish this sort of waiting on anyone, it's terribly annoying at best and causes unnecessary insecurities at worst.

Yeaa April '15 feels like a million years away. Trust me it's not from lack of me trying to communicate about the issue! :lol: My laid back and open boyfriend seems to disappear over anything close to mention of a solid timeframe. Though I did drag out of him that he didn't want to do it till at least 2015 since his sister gets married and will then be moving across the world the end of this year, which is kind of weird/lame. but I also get it because she has severe anxiety and I can easily see how it wouldn't help with the family stress at the moment.

Still sucks though! At this point I'm just tired. I'm not sure if a proposal would be exciting since we have already planned a few things, it's more like 'oh I guess we can tell people now'

goingon5

Rough_Rock
I'm really involved in picking the ring.. but it's made-to-order. I don't want to know when it comes in the mail, as I still want to be surprised. But I'd hope it wasn't more than a week after it arrived! I don't have the patience! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results