shape
carat
color
clarity

1972 Cartier Black Opal

cocotate

Rough_Rock
There's a few vids I've seen of it on Missy's socials where it does show quite a dark tone which is why I leaned towards N4 since Cartier sold it as a Black Opal - but I also agree with you it could be more in the N5-N6 Dark Opal range. I'd need to put it on a grading card (and would be honoured to do it!).

One thing I've noticed with Opals like this is that it can be difficult to see a body tone as there's just sooo many layers of divine colour (the definition of first world problems right there). With Opals that have thick and clean layers of heavily saturated colour, usually I hold them up to a light source to see how dark the tint of the colour bar is as it will have a degree of translucency that starts to disappear as the tint goes darker.

Here is Missy's older post with more of the ring photos in a dimmer light.

I don't see how it could be N4 from the body tone shown, but the high domed stone may have a darker inner core layer just below the more translucent lighter surrounding, kind of like this?
opalcut.png

Last edited:

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Correct @cocotate, especially in the fourth pic Missy posted in that thread as there's a hint to show it's got some dark body tones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results