shape
carat
color
clarity

Art Deco OEC and Sapphire Ring

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
I had a son in September of 2012 and have on and off been looking for a piece of jewelry with sapphires to commemorate his birth. I was browsing Ruby Lane the other day and this ring caught my eye. I haven't previously been bit by the old cut bug that has taken over PS, but something about this ring sang to me. The ring arrived today and I really like it. The stones are beautiful to my eyes and the center stone is completely eye clean. It was sold to me as having a .60 H/SI OEC as the center, my guess is it is quite a bit lower in color than that since it shows more warmth than my ideal cut round GIA H engagement ring. It is marked inside as Pd., so I believe it is palladium. It is quite a bit out of round, but I need to have it sized down anyways.

All that said, I am a pragmatist and want to make sure I got a good deal for my money. I have a return period, and I would like honest opinions on the ring. I paid $2400, and am inclined to keep it unless I hear that I could do much better for the money.

img_3261.jpg

img_3262.jpg

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
It is quite overcast today, so this was the best I could do.

img_3266.jpg

AudiLover

Shiny_Rock
It is stunning!

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Audi. Here are a couple more, including a hand shot.

img_3269.jpg

img_3270.jpg

fioratura

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I can't speak to the price and I know how it feels to want to know that you got a good deal, but for what it's worth, it looks like it is a gorgeous ring and it looks beautiful on you. When I worry that I paid too much for something, I live with it for a day or so and see how I feel when I look at it. If every time I look at it I feel uneasy or unhappy, then I know that what I paid wasn't the right price for me. If I look at it and I love it, then I know that it was a worthwhile purchase for me.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Ohhhh a target ring!!!! I'm a huge fan of this style with the calibrated sapphire/ emerald/ ruby halos! I have been looking at them for years but haven't quite pulled the trigger yet. Other projects just seem to get in the way.

I actually think the price you paid was fine. The sapphires are a nice bright blue, not inky black. The center OEC is white (most I have seen on ebay are lower in color and look brown/ yellow in hue and sometimes just craptastic cut). The basket work is amazing and much more intriquate then I see on other settings in this style. I give it two thumbs up for what it is worth and think you got a great ring. Could you have done cheaper, probably but I don't think the ring would have been as nice. I think you paid a fair price for a nice target ring.

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Novemberbride, As you may guess I love love love your ring! The thing that draws me to this ring is the gallery, I just love the fine detail of the underside :love: It's like wearing cute underwear to work, it's all for you cause nobody else is going to see it but you know it is there and it makes you happy all day! Wear it in good health, it is beautiful :wavey:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks GORGEOUS!!! I think the price you paid was fair - most I see that are decent quality are around that price, also with .5-.7 center stones.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is very pretty and I love this style!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's beautiful! The shank looks really paper thin though.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love it but would return and get one of the platinum ones. A platinum setting is just worth a lot more (plat price is double palladium).

This one has "best offer", so you might could get it for less than the one you have now. Plus they claim the center stone is .75. And it has a nicer shank, too (double wire might be the right term?).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-ART-DECO-PLATINUM-DIAMOND-SAPPHIRE-RING-/331102363133?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d173d1dfd

I'd probably offer around $1800 to start and see where they counter. If they say $2400, then I'd go up to $2200. Even if they come back again, it could end up at $2300. You never know!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cannot give you an expert opinion on the price but I love the ring and for me it would be totally worth it. Diamondseeker has also given some great suggestions that are worth following up.

The ring looks lovely on your hand so I would keep it or choose one of the platinum versions. Enjoy your ring!!! :wavey:

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've always wanted a ring in this style. Really, really pretty on you!

sparkle123

Rough_Rock
Trade
I decided to log in and say what I think even though I have not done so for years. I think you should have it appraised. Something tells me you paid too much. Palladium does not command that price. The target setting is beautiful. I think the price you paid could buy a platinum setting which would help keep the investment value. Also for the price you paid and the ring being out of round, I would strongly recommend an appraisal.

It's very pretty but I feel like you paid double what you should have... considering the condition...

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1389421965|3590803 said:
Love it but would return and get one of the platinum ones. A platinum setting is just worth a lot more (plat price is double palladium).

This one has "best offer", so you might could get it for less than the one you have now. Plus they claim the center stone is .75. And it has a nicer shank, too (double wire might be the right term?).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-ART-DECO-PLATINUM-DIAMOND-SAPPHIRE-RING-/331102363133?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d173d1dfd

I'd probably offer around $1800 to start and see where they counter. If they say $2400, then I'd go up to $2200. Even if they come back again, it could end up at $2300. You never know!

I totally agree with the above...

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
natyLad|1389509076|3591286 said:

I agree as well. While I like your ring, the condition of the shank and the price you paid is more than I would have paid.

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all so much for your valuable advice. I took the ring to my jeweler yesterday, I did not get a formal appraisal, but I did get confirmation that the stones are real and he also told me that the ring is white gold and that the pd that is hand engraved inside is a maker's mark rather than an indication that the ring is made of palladium. I am still feeling torn as to what to do, the ring is really lovely and most importantly I think the diamond is really nice. A lot of the rings I am seeing on ebay have scary looking diamonds. But, I do not want to settle as this is an heirloom piece and with two college educations to save for and a plan to buy a new home this year, I don't have a lot of discretionary jewelry funds at this moment so I am not likely to get any other significant pieces any time soon. I am leaning towards returning it and waiting for something in platinum and better condition to come along.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Congratulations on the birth of your son! I think this is a beautiful way to commemorate his presence in your life. And I love the design of the ring.

I don't think the material should be an automatic out - a lot of very high-quality jewelry was made from palladium during that period (like this ring, for example - just a quick search turned up this gorgeous pearl and diamond ring, for example: https://www.etsy.com/listing/169872401/antique-palladium-diamond-large-baroque?ref=favs_view_2 ... I think one of reasons for its rise was platinum's use in armaments during WWII, when it was reserved and jewelers searched for alternatives like palladium and white gold, but I wouldn't swear to it ... I've seen earlier pieces in palladium, so it could simply have been loved for itself).

But I do think the high probability of it needing to be reshanked should be factored in. If THIS is the ring you love, I say keep it, and just mentally add the cost of reshanking, which will probably run a few hundred dollars. But if it's the design you love, hunting for a piece of similar vintage in better shape could be a good plan: I like the one DS posted. I guess the question is ... how do *you* feel? What is it about this one as opposed to all the others out there that calls to you?

ETA: Crosspost, d'oh - sorry! And given all that, consider this a redoubled vote for the one DS posted ....

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
Circe,

Thank you so much for posting, you have so many beautiful vintage pieces and I really value having your opinion. Although the diamond is beautiful, I am going to return this one and keep searching. I will definitely be looking at the one DS posted (thanks DS!) as well as continuing to look at other vintage sites now that I have a better idea of what I am looking for.

Thanks again to everyone who posted, I really appreciate all the help in thinking this through. I will definitely follow up with a post when I find "the one".

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you should keep the one you have provided it is a true antique! The diamond looks really well cut to me. All of the comparables posted in this thread look much worse. I think you could hunt another six months and save about $300. Why? To what end? I think this one is really lovely. The shank can be replaced, and that is the least important part of the ring anyways. So don't rush to return it.

I think people are often too quick to point out "better deals" out there when people buy on ebay. But those better deals are not always better. The price you paid is certainly less than full retail. Is that not all that matters?

lknvrb4|1389530529|3591316 said:
natyLad|1389509076|3591286 said:

I agree as well. While I like your ring, the condition of the shank and the price you paid is more than I would have paid.

I disagree quite strongly. The make of the diamond in November Bride's ring is superbe for an OEC, whereas the diamond in the ring that is linked here looklike it has visible inclusions, no open culet, and is likely just an early MRB. Not a good comparison at all!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
NB I don't think your ring is comparable to the ones below at all.

vintagelover229|1389397242|3590602 said:
I LOVE the ring but I would not have paid 2400.00 for it. That's just me though-I've seen similar rings go for less but don't have the stats to compare to it. I don't think you got taken though-if you love it and feel it was a fair price.

Here is one similar on ebay for 1900.00 or BO

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRENCH-ART-DECO-STYLE-0-70-CT-DIAMOND-AND-0-35-CT-SAPPHIRE-RING-IN-PLATINUM-/181297899329?pt=Diamond_Solitaire_Rings&hash=item2a36326741

I am sceptical of the make of this diamonds, it is not visible in the image and what I can see looks like a modern cut.

As i said below, that is an included and modern diamond in my opinion.

Her prices are usually high
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESTATE-ART-DECO-60ct-EURO-DIAMOND-SOLITAIRE-SAPPHIRE-ENGAGEMENT-PLATINUM-RING-/161164519070?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item258627669e

-CUT-DIAMOND-AND-FRENCH-CUT-SAPPHIRE-RING-IN-18K-YG-PLAT-/181289668847?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a35b4d0ef

She admits the diamond is an "I" which in ebay terms means it has large eye visible inclusions or chips. And ebay "I" clarity diamonds is out in my book almost always, unless the diamond has a GIA report to validate the clarity grade. Ebay vendors always inflate the clarity of their goods.

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
DD,

Thanks so much for your input. The quality of the diamond is what is holding me back from returning it and trying again. I know nothing about OEC's, but it is clean, bright and throws off chunks of light and the facets are symmetrical. I am really picky about clarity and I know that any visible inclusions at all are a deal breaker for me. I am afraid I just got really lucky taking a chance on this one (I did not get it on eBay and although I know there are deals to be had on eBay, there are many more duds and I don't really have the time or energy to buy and return numerous rings). I don't need to get the absolute rock bottom price, but I'd like to know I paid a fair price for what I got. The seller has offered to have her jeweler repair the shank and size it for me, which is a nice offer and I am considering it. I need it sized down to a 4 which would hopefully remove the very thinnest part of the shank.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now it makes more sense to me why the shank is paper thin: it's gold! Gold will definitely do that over the years. I don't think getting a new shank is that expensive though.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
NovemberBride|1389552232|3591447 said:
DD,

Thanks so much for your input. The quality of the diamond is what is holding me back from returning it and trying again. I know nothing about OEC's, but it is clean, bright and throws off chunks of light and the facets are symmetrical. I am really picky about clarity and I know that any visible inclusions at all are a deal breaker for me. I am afraid I just got really lucky taking a chance on this one (I did not get it on eBay and although I know there are deals to be had on eBay, there are many more duds and I don't really have the time or energy to buy and return numerous rings). I don't need to get the absolute rock bottom price, but I'd like to know I paid a fair price for what I got. The seller has offered to have her jeweler repair the shank and size it for me, which is a nice offer and I am considering it. I need it sized down to a 4 which would hopefully remove the very thinnest part of the shank.

I would try to negotiate a partial refund for the amount of the repair perhaps, rather than having the seller do it, only because you don't know the level of skill of her bench. And once that change is made, and you are not happy, is there an option?

From the looks of the ring, the milgrain is finely done, the sapphires are nicely shaped and matched with no damage, and the diamond looks symmetrical, well cut, and of classic proportions. I don't think those things are easy to find. And the market sets the value of things. For many of those rings linked above, they have been listed a long time... and there is usually a reason -- i.e. some issue with the quality. I recall a ring similar to this sold of pre-loved but I can't recall the price or specs. You could try to find it for a good comparison. I am fairly certain this ring would be priced higher if repaired and sold by a reputable vendor. Or at least, priced on par with what you will have paid after the repair. So, to me, that is a good buy. Obviuosly, not everyone will agree. But I do think for special pieces that are hard to find that tick all the boxes -- and cut quality is a major determinant of ticking boxes that is very hard to actually tick! -- then its ok to pay a few $100 more than the biggest steal. Time is money too. Sometimes you have to just stop looking.

sparkle123

Rough_Rock
Trade
I agree with dreamweaver. If you are going to keep it I would negotiate for the seller to pay for the repair. I am surprised the jeweler (was it a jeweler or a salesperson) did not give you an estimate of the price he might place on the ring. It is clear you want to keep it. I only replied as I once bought something and felt as you did. Now I have decided I paid too much and have not returned to the store and have had difficulty even wearing the ring. It is a nice ring but I feel I had been ripped off. I am truly surprised of the resistance to have the item looked at by an appraiser. The sapphires could be synthetic, and this is not uncommon in jewelry. And that could impact the price. Clearly the ring was abused or stepped on due to the bent shank. It is your money and your decision. I have seen rings in better condition than this on Rubylane (no I am not a seller there and am not pushing them in any way, have had good and not so good experiences). I definitely would have it appraised by a jeweler or a gemologist. But it is a beautiful ring and it appears you are thinking with your heart like I was when I let myself get ripped off.

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
I really appreciate all of the additional opinions that have been offered. I am not sure where anyone got the impression that I am opposed to an appraisal, nor did I say I didn't plan to get one. In fact, it appears that one of the Pricescope recommended appraisers is very close to my office, so I am going to call them tomorrow. I assume my jeweler did not give a value on the ring because (i) he does not deal in estate pieces and may not feel qualified to do so, and (ii) because I did not ask for a formal appraisal. I just stopped in while I was out with my daughter running errands to see if the ring could safely be sized down and to ask if he could confirm the metal and that the diamond was real.

I did find two similar rings with center stones of almost identical carat weight to mine on Lang's, both listed for $3950. And one of those has a centerstone with I1 clarity. I know Lang's is known to be priced quite high, but that is quite a bit higher than mine (albeit the rings were platinum and didn't need re-shanking.)

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
I just wanted to update on this thread since so many of you took the time to give your opinions and even went so far as to look for alternatives. I took the ring to Pricescope's own Dave Atlas today (he is literally a 10 minute drive from me). His appraisal of the ring includes the following:

Tests as 18k white gold. Mounting appears to be handmade. Old European cut round diamond measuring approximately 5.4 x 3.15 mm, weight estimated at .60. Color - GIA G range, clarity SI1 - eye clean. 18 french cut, faceted trapeziodal blue sapphires. VS II clarity, medium blue, very good condition, well matched visually. 6 OEC type round, full cut diamonds est. 0.06 ctw, H/I SI.

Dave confirmed that the ring appears to be a true antique, estimating the ring was from somewhere between the early 1900's up to the 1920's. He put the value at $3630, saying that a retailer would want a value around $5000 (which makes sense given the comps I saw at Lang's.)

Thanks to all of you who recommended I get an appraisal, I feel much better about the purchase now since I really have no experience with old cuts and was afraid of getting taken advantage of. Based on the appraisal, I am going to be keeping the ring. I think Dreamer said it best - I might be able to save a couple of hundred dollars by watching Ebay, but I honestly don't have the time or patience to put into that effort and if I returned this ring and ended up buying several duds, I would be very upset. This ring makes me smile every time I look at it, and to me that makes it the perfect piece to represent my son, who also makes me smile every time I look at him. Thank you again for taking the time to help me think through this.

Here's one more photo of the ring under my office lights:

_13685.jpg

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds great, I'm glad you are keeping it and love it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results