shape
carat
color
clarity

Grandmother's Rose Cut Daisy Eternity

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is my grandmother's daisy eternity ring. She left it to me when I was 5, my mother passed it to me on my 16th Birthday, and I wore it 24/7, stuck on tight, until I lost a significant amount of weight at 23, at which point it became too big. It was made in 1935 and is 22 carat gold with a platinum surface and full rose cut diamonds, typical in style of that period. She wore it on her right hand with a full, narrow rose cut diamond platinum eternity band either side, which were both left to my elder sister. The three rings in total made up her 'eternity' ring :)) You can see on the underside of the daisy head the wearing where the bands took away the gold.

It is not the most blingtastic ring in the world, but it IS my most treasured possession. The only way of sizing down would be to cut away the shank & attach a new one, because the existing one has worn so thin. I don't want to do this as the inside is engraved from my grandfather, not that you can read it very much these days! It is only just over one size too big, so I have been securing it on with a thin platinum band & putting up with the spinning around. The diamonds are very clear - the jeweller gave it a really good soak & steam clean today, and estimates them at a K colour, VVS1 or VVS2 clarity, with the exception of one of the tiny shoulder diamonds, which is more included. They are so transparent I can see my skin through the outer stones :love:

dsc02613.jpg

dsc02622.jpg

dsc02608.jpg

dsc02614.jpg

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I love stuff like that. Not blingtastic but beautiful nonetheless and sentimental. The rings my grandmother wore are some of my favorites too!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Very sweet!!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is a really sweet ring Alex and I totally get why it's your fav piece! The ring my grandmother left me is one of my favs too, because I think of her every time I wear it. I know that you will treasure it for years to come until it's time for you to pass it on to someone special!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a sweet ring!! Really pretty.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
what a great family heirloom! :appl:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone! I am thinking if getting another thin platinum band the same as the one I already have to sandwich it. This will give the same overall look as my grandmother had (without the extra diamonds) and maybe also encourage it to sit upright for longer!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Alex T|1379619489|3523686 said:
Thank you everyone! I am thinking if getting another thin platinum band the same as the one I already have to sandwich it. This will give the same overall look as my grandmother had (without the extra diamonds) and maybe also encourage it to sit upright for longer!

Sounds like a great idea! What a sweet and precious ring.

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A lovely family heirloom ring!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring and sweet sentiment, just wonderful, wear it in good health and always think of your grandmother when you look at the ring!

snowmom

Rough_Rock
It is such a pretty ring.

You may want to look into getting some ring snuggies (I think that is what they are called) to keep it from spinning and prevent any damage to the stones. They are flexible plastic strips you put on the band. I've used them before and they work okay.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty and whimsical!!!

alisonia333

Shiny_Rock
I love it! Such a meaningful piece :) Why not get some sizing beads or a horseshoe sizer or just a simple ring guard to stop it from spinning?

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
That is beautiful! I love seeing all these antique/vintage original pieces :love:
The diamonds are pretty, love the flower design and that engraving/design on the band is just gorgeous.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a pretty ring and special heirloom!!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a lovely and sentimental ring. I would wear it 24/7 if I were you too. YOu must feel so close to both your grandparents when you wear it. Thank you for sharing. I love rings/jewelry that are handed down...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alex, I love this ring! So meaningful and so beautiful. A real treasure! I second the rec for sizing beads if you want a snugger fit. They work well when you aren't talking dramatic changes in size and are unobtrusive and comfortable in small sizes. I really love that you have this ring from your grandmother. May you wear in good health happiness and with wonderful memories of your grandparents.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Missy! Such lovely comments & sentiments from everybody - thank you! I strangely didn't think it would be very popular as it's not very flashy, unlike her ENORMOUS engagement ring which mother has, so I am moved by everyone's kind words. I may look into sizing beads, but more probably another skinny plat band, as the engraving on the inside pretty much runs all the way around apart from hallmarks.

I sadly don't have many memories of my grandmother due to being only 5 when she died from breast cancer, but I DO have heaps of photo's of us together - seemingly i was very clearly (& unfairly to my brother & 2 sisters), her favourite & we were inseparable. I was the only one who got her curls & mum always says I am her double. I shall try to scan & upload a picture. I love all the pictures :))

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are 2 pics - one taken on a beach with grandmother's very elegant sapphire & diamond ringed hand reaching out to me (I would have been two at the time), and the other sitting by the water on the Isle of Man, stealing her Queen Mother style handbag :)) She was a very fun, beautiful lady with raven black curls.

dsc02623.jpg

dsc02624.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww, Alex, you were such a beautiful child which is no surprise because you grew up to be a beautiful woman! I just love the sentiment associated with your grandmother's ring and I am sorry you didn't get to spend enough time with her. I am so happy you have this ring from her. :appl:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very special and lovely ring!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a pretty and very sentimental ring!! Such a nice way to keep your grandmother's spirit close to you. Such sweet pics, you were a cutie!

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
I am not sure if the jeweler can install one around the engraving, but have you thought about putting a horseshoe in it? I have one to prevent spinning, but it would help yours fit more snug.
I love it and think it is exquisite and understated. Loved hearing about your heirloom.

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results