shape
carat
color
clarity

First OEC vintage ring!

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Giving this to myself for Christmas.. It will need some work done on it (minor shoulder break that should be okay with laser welding), and I need it sized up. But it is so twinkly and beautiful in real life! Specs are .70 ctw, G and I, VS, "very good" cut.

Pics in a separate post, but big question--who should I have do the work on the ring? Does DZ in Chicago do repair work on vintage pieces? I need an appraisal, too. I am so.excited! My dh thinks I'm a nut.

Is it considered Edwardian? Art Deco? I'm such a newbie. But I knew when I saw this that it was a winner. It just made me smile. :)

Pics coming up!

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It is currently a size 3.75, I believe. It's on my sister's pinky in the pics.

_9779.jpg

_9780.jpg

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh, and it's 14k white gold, not platinum. I love it! :). Just need to figure out where to send it to really make it mine. :love:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its BEAUTIFUL!! I love that setting!!

And yes, as far as we know, based on our chats w Ilya when we were visiting last month, he does repairs on vintage pieces. DZ has their own bench and they also do custom work... I'm contemplating a little project for the future!

But give him a call and check it out - he's super easy to talk to!

Hera

Ideal_Rock
It's Art Deco loveliness! :love:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Adam at OWD also does repair work on settings. I*think* Edwardian for the setting.

And I LOVE that basket detail :appl: :o

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
Very cool ring! Can't wait to see it after...

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Enerchi|1378774546|3517590 said:

And yes, as far as we know, based on our chats w Ilya when we were visiting last month, he does repairs on vintage pieces. DZ has their own bench and they also do custom work... I'm contemplating a little project for the future!

I am usually in that building, but up on the 21st floor. :) I really do want a vintage connection, though, and my guys at M. Martin seem to be mostly modern brilliant. I know they would do a nice job on this repair and sizing... just looking to make some more jeweler friends. :naughty:

I will give them a call!

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's funny that I got two different opinions, back to back, because all the online pics I'm seeing call it both! I think that the strips on the side might make it an edwardian or really early Art Deco piece... the later Art Deco ones seemed to have dropped those wisps and just had the basket?

I need it in my possession so that I can take a million pics of it and inspect it more closely! The diamond tables seem really different, and I'm not sure how much of that has to do with the way the iphone was being held for the shot (and how the diamonds are set slightly off toward the sides).

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I will be sure to post more before shots first! I am not sure how much this will all cost, and whether I want anything re-engraved, or just wait on that for now.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
KristinTech|1378840037|3518054 said:
Enerchi|1378774546|3517590 said:

I am usually in that building, but up on the 21st floor. :) I really do want a vintage connection, though, and my guys at M. Martin seem to be mostly modern brilliant. I know they would do a nice job on this repair and sizing... just looking to make some more jeweler friends. :naughty:

I will give them a call!

Really? you are regularly at 5 S Wabash??? OMG!! I'd be BROKE if I had such easy access to a diamond building like that!!!

Go over and see some of his jewelry - he had a FANTASTIC collection when we visiting in August (Too bad you weren't able to join us!) and if you ask reallllllly nicely, I'll bet he'll let you try on that 5ct (or was it 6? or 7?) oval ring!! WOW!

Hera

Ideal_Rock
KristinTech|1378840235|3518057 said:
It's funny that I got two different opinions, back to back, because all the online pics I'm seeing call it both! I think that the strips on the side might make it an edwardian or really early Art Deco piece... the later Art Deco ones seemed to have dropped those wisps and just had the basket?

I need it in my possession so that I can take a million pics of it and inspect it more closely! The diamond tables seem really different, and I'm not sure how much of that has to do with the way the iphone was being held for the shot (and how the diamonds are set slightly off toward the sides).

Yes, a piece can be more in a transitional period. There is some laciness but for me, it's a little more geometric so I put it in the Art Deco period. It's right on the edge though so it could be called Late Edwardian/Early Art Deco imo.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I will give them a call![/quote]

Really? you are regularly at 5 S Wabash??? OMG!! I'd be BROKE if I had such easy access to a diamond building like that!!!

Go over and see some of his jewelry - he had a FANTASTIC collection when we visiting in August (Too bad you weren't able to join us!) and if you ask reallllllly nicely, I'll bet he'll let you try on that 5ct (or was it 6? or 7?) oval ring!! WOW![/quote]

I should have said that when I do go into that building, I go up to the 21st floor (was formerly the 6th). I used to work on Michigan avenue, just a couple of blocks away, and I loved shopping that block of Wabash. I bought myself a few sparkly things back then! This was before kids. :lol:

We moved downstate, but my sister still lives in the city. I need the prongs in my ering looked at, so I will combine both ventures into one trip! :)

And I guess I'm back to buying myself baubles after 10 years, haha!

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
heraanderson|1378848746|3518165 said:
KristinTech|1378840235|3518057 said:

Yes, a piece can be more in a transitional period. There is some laciness but for me, it's a little more geometric so I put it in the Art Deco period. It's right on the edge though so it could be called Late Edwardian/Early Art Deco imo.

I was reading a bit tonight, and I think early Art Deco, based on the fact that white gold want invented until after the Edwardian period. (?). I am having fun looking for a twin to the twin online! :love:

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A couple more pics my sister took for me today. Her dh is a professional photographer, so you'd think they could manage something better than iphone pics! :razz: I will give them a pass; they have an 11-month-old recently on the move at their house. :) I will have it in my hot little hands on Saturday!

_10042.jpg

_10043.jpg

_10044.jpg

_10045.jpg

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
She texted me a picture of her eating a sandwich in that first pic. :) you can see the shoulder break in one of the last ones. I tried to zoom in to show the faceting pattern, but it got blurry.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
That is stunning!!! Where did you find it?

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Rosebloom|1379386054|3522059 said:
That is stunning!!! Where did you find it?

It was calling my name at the Leslie Hindman auction last week. :) Another one is coming up in December!

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have it, finally! :) It is so beautiful. But I'm worried that I won't be able to get it sized up far enough for me to wear. Could I really ever wear a pinky ring? Would I want to? Things I'm thinking about. It is a 3.75-4 right now. It doesn't even fit on my pinky! I usually like rings to be an 8 on my right hand, but could get away with a 7 in the winter months. I really want to know if sizing it that far up will throw off the "look" of the ring-- how it would have to round out instead of going straight down (if it's even possible). The shoulder wisps are what I'm talking about. The diamonds look bigger than .35 ct each (.70ctw) to me, but the auction house estimated them as such. I found an antique shop near me that has a retired master goldsmith that does work for them. I plan on going in when they open on Tuesday to drop it off. I also made another local connection through my hairdresser (!!), and so I went into a local pawn shop and talked to them about who does the repair work on their estate pieces. The pawn shop guy was really nice. He does a ton of local ads and radio spots, and is a bit of a local celebrity. :) He glanced at it and said, "That is a cool ring! It's the real deal. Are you looking to sell it?" He asked me what turned me on to the older cuts instead of MB, and I really didn't even have an answer. Pics coming up, there is definitely one OEC that is warmer than the other, but I can only see it in certain lighting. I tried so hard to get good fire pics, but ran out of sun today. I will try again tomorrow. :) My dh and I keep joking about how I've turned into Golom. Or however you spell it. MY PRECIOUS! That joke has had to have been made a million times on this board. ;-)

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Pictures! The flowers are impatiens for scale.

_10274.jpg

_10275.jpg

_10276.jpg

_10277.jpg

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
More! They're all sideways! :(

_10279.jpg

_10280.jpg

_10282.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOVE this ring!!! :love: Love the beautiful detailing of the setting, and the stones are so pretty. Great flower shots, you can see the beautiful faceting of the diamonds really well. I really hope you can find someone to size this Kristin - I do see what you mean about the side pieces, but I would hope an expert could figure out something. And a pinkie ring would work, at least you'd be able to wear and enjoy it. Let us know what happens!

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I dropped it off with a great guy today! I may have finally found a local jeweler to do things like this for me. He was very excited by the ring and thought at first glance it looked like a solid (but dainty!) ring with good stones, a true vintage piece "It's got a lot of years on it." :) He said that it didn't appear that it was worn a lot. We decided to leave the shoulders alone, and just size it up from a 4 to a 5.5 so that I could have it as a pinky ring. The shoulders don't have any structural problems. So that is a relief to know. They will do a full appraisal for me in the event I want to insure it. I am also really curious about what I have... so I want all the details that an appraisal includes. :) It should be ready later this week!

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I dropped it off with a great guy today! I may have finally found a local jeweler to do things like this for me. He was very excited by the ring and thought at first glance it looked like a solid (but dainty!) ring with good stones, a true vintage piece "It's got a lot of years on it." :) He said that it didn't appear that it was worn a lot. We decided to leave the shoulders alone, and just size it up from a 4 to a 5.5 so that I could have it as a pinky ring. The shoulders don't have any structural problems. So that is a relief to know. They will do a full appraisal for me in the event I want to insure it. I am also really curious about what I have... so I want all the details that an appraisal includes. :) It should be ready later this week!

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Uploading more pics... was able to catch some of the fire yesterday!

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
From yesterday...

_10313.jpg

_10314.jpg

_10315.jpg

_10316.jpg

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
More!

_10317.jpg

_10318.jpg

_10319.jpg

_10320.jpg

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
These stones seem so bright to me--until they are up against my F colored oval ering. :) my oval is 1 ct. Do these OECs seem to be only .35ish to you? They seem bigger to me!

_10321.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your pics are great, they really show off those pretty stones!!! I agree that they look bigger than .35. Glad you found someone you're comfortable with! Let us know how it goes!

eta - and your ering is beautiful! :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results