shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I Spend $8k Now or Wait & Save Another $8k+????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jewelgal

Shiny_Rock
I was driving w/ DH today and realized that an suv costs around $25k, and
that lasts about a good 10 years or more...

Why - Why on earth am I only going to spend $8k on my diamond that I
will wear for the next 70+ years !!! Why wouldn''t i Spend that kind of
money on a diamond? Something that will be around for years and years and will be used every single day??

That got me started thinking because for $8k it seems like i am stuck
in the 1.40 range for a round, and cushions that size look kind of small on
my finger (size 7)....... I figured I would need $15k to get a nice size diamond that i will be happy w/ forever.

I want a gorgeous antique style setting and if it was a big rock, i don''t like rounds (if they are huge (2.5+) ) for really large stones I seem to favor the
cushion cut, even the asscher cut... but then again, who feels comfortable with a $20k ring on their finger? I don''t know if I would be or not.....

So, please select one of the options I have that you would choose yourself.
Maybe this will help me figure out some stuff.....
thanks!

SO HERE''S THE QUESTION: IF YOU WERE ME, AND YOU COULD EITHER SPEND THE 8K NOW OR WAIT ANOTHER 1 YEAR OR PROBABLY 2 YEARS, AND GET SOMETHING HUGE WOULD YOU:
A) spend the $8k now, get a smaller stone and nicer setting
B) spend the $8k now on the diamond & get temporary setting
C) wait another year and save another $3k and spend $11k
D) wait the 2 years and get something for $15k

The other problem is that I haven''t found the perfect wedding set yet
I guess i could custom make one, but i am worried that the diamond won''t look good in it, and everything..... not even sure of the shape anymore, because it depends on the size A n D the setting!!!! I need a place where i can find rings already put together, that''s probably what i need!!!

So far I like:
1. cushion cuts (big ones)
2. round sparkly diamonds 1.75+ carat prefrd.
3. queen of hearts

Settings I like:
1. vatche royal crown 18kt yellow gold setting (kind of plain)
to
2. antique style settings (white gold and bead set rounds & baguettes)

how can someone love gold and antique gold - it should be one or the other! I wish I could just find the perfect ring and end this you know??

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Well, I liked your car analogy, but as my husband always tells me, "You can't drive a diamond to work!"
What about purchasing from an established vendor that has a good trade-up policy? That way you could get something now, and then when the time is right, get full credit for what you paid for the first stone towards the purchase of a larger one?
As for wearing a ring of high value/cost on your finger my first thought is that with the exhorbitant prices of diamonds and nice settings, it doesn't take much to get way up there. My stone cost around $20k and the mounting $5k. Honestly, I don't feel strange wearing it at all, but it is also set really low and is just not "out there". But I also "grew" into this ring, as I had started out with a 1.01 marquise, then a 1.51 round, and now a 3.29 round. I am 39 and feel it is appropriate for me, so while I would've loved to have a "rock" when I got engaged at 24, I don't know how comfortable I would've been.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Hell no! I am going to feel JUST fine wearing my new upgrade (in the works) I DESERVE it!!! E/t my husband reminds me that I'm spending all this $ on something measured by mms!
1.gif
And I would LOVE a new bathroom....siigghhhh...BUT

I want every thing now so the choice is easy for me. Spend the $8000 on the stone in a very plain setting and buy from a place where you get 100% upgrade...making sure it's an established vendor...not some random vendor... (e/t I do understand that you never really "win" with an upgrade b/c the vendor gives you back what you paid and gets to resell it at current, more expensive prices)...I think it's worth it!

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
I like the notion of trading up but, sentimental me, wants to keep the same e-ring stone always... Jewelgal, how do you feel about buying something now & trading up later? if it doesn't bother you, it's a great option. Tho I think the first thing you need to decide exactly what you want before you buy something - a list of three isn't short enough when you're spending $8+ K...

I remember that you like colorless stones, however, if you drop to a G or H w fluor & an excellent cut, you may be able to get something you'd be happy with now... (tho, i totally understand if your v color-sensitive and don't enjoy the *look* of G/Hs)
For ex, here's a 1.66 H SI2 w Med Flour. If you put that bad boy in a bezel setting (eventually, if it's not currently in the budget), it'd look HUGE
3.gif
(did you see treysar's beautiful ring? LINK)
As a matter of fact, i had Mark put my 1.279ct RB in a platinum bezel setting & it looks as big as my 2.55ct princess - i can't get over it!
love.gif
9.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock
i agree with what the others have said, JG

alexah: will you post pics of the new RHR?

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
I will reena
1.gif
soonas i get motivated to fiddle w the @*&! camera... our camera's old and awful in macro mode
sad.gif

I'm absolutely floored at how enormous it looks... my RHR size in ct weight is exactly half the size of my e-ring - however, because the RB's depth is only 60 (the princess has a depth of 70) & because of the bezel, they look the same size.
I didn't get the bezel for that reason but it's a nice little perk
2.gif

sluke

Shiny_Rock
I would go with option B. Get a great cut stone with a temporary setting from a vendor who will give you a 100% lifetime upgrade. I did something similar, however, I am growing very attached to my diamond and even the simple tiffany-style setting.

Diamond prices seems to increase every year, so if you wait, you'll probably not going to get proportionately bigger in the future per dollar as you would now. Am I making sense?

reena

Ideal_Rock
JG, i just saw this ring on www.antiquejewelryexch.com and immediately thought of you--it looks so similar to that fay cullen you like, right? It's a platinum setting with a 1.25 OEC, VS J/K (i know, color is low for you) and is $8500. Just eyecandy, if nothing else.

JG5.JPG

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Have you thought about a pave bezel setting? They make a stone look much bigger than it is. There is a perfect example of this on DT...a gal put her RB into one ... there is a before and after. It really tricks the eye and looks great to boot.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Here it is:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-bezel-set-micro-pave-e-ring-setting-is-here.18526/

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
Since you already have a DH, I think you are upgrading, right?

Definitely D is your answer - why upgrade and be unhappy right away.

Confused by buying weddings sets if you already married.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
When it comes to diamonds, my philosophy is "buy now and buy often." So I choose option A or B. You can upgrade later.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
As the others have noted, buy from a vendor with a strong upgrade policy and one that sells various types of cuts...rather than just rounds. That way if you so desire, you can get an asscher now, larger cushion later, etc. Get what you can now and upgrade later...esp if you like various stone shapes, it would be a great way to wear various styles over the years.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was pretty sure you will end up spending more!

I would wait, see the diamond fund grow and spend time looking at auctions and private sales for that perfect deal... for, say, about half a year or so.
Obviously you must like shopping allot and avoid impulse buying for this, but the results could turn out nice: you will likely end up with the perfect gem and an incurable jewelry addict... if you know whay I mean
2.gif

The other way is to let one seller to look up a deal for you. This also works fine IMO
read.gif
Only there will be naught to wear in the meantime without using some upgrade policy.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
B or C

jewelgal

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all of the great responses!!!! I have read each one and thought about each opinion..... i also love that ring Reena showed me and the bezel
rings really make the diamond look a lot larger!! ..........
wavey.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock
hi JG! check out this site that someone posted earlier. you'll love it:

www.singlestone.com

jewelgal

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for that ring u suggested from that anique website!!! You were 100%
right! I do love that ring!!! Yeah, i wish it was a better color, and i wish i could see it in person too! If only i could find a ring like that in person!
NYC area - surprised i didn't find much, you know? I couldn't find it on the website, i'll look again.....

Thanks for thinking of me and please , if u ever see other rings like u think i'd like, i'd love to see them!!!

keep me posted w/ your new ring pics (when u get it!!) u must be So Excited!!!!!!!! Thanks again Reena!! Hello to Roosevelt!
wavey.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock
the velter says hello to you too JG. he says he wants some diamond studs for his collar.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I'd wait. If you haven't decided on the stone or the setting yet, why not just take your time and settle on the size, shape, setting of your dreams, figure out how much money you'll need, THEN just save up until then? Another year or two, in my mind, doesn't seem like a lot of time when it comes to getting the perfect ring.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results