shape
carat
color
clarity

Advise

licerio

Rough_Rock
What do you guys think about this diamond and price? It is from James Allen GIA certified.

screen_shot_2013-07-02_at_10.png

nicoleanne

Shiny_Rock
Can you post a link to the stone?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont like the cut of that stone. Is such a high clarity a necessity? Also, are you getting married soon? is that why you're buying the band too?

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don't care for the cut of the stone either. You can do a lot better....I am about to run out, but hopefully, someone will have time to post a couple of choices for you.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
how about this guy... ( better cut, still near colorless, like an H is considered, and a high clarity)
http://www.ritani.com/diamonds/round-diamond-1-25-Carat-I-color-GIA-certified/D-VW15F1

with this setting, which has the same look but imho better made.....
http://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/french-set-halo-diamond-engagement-ring-in-18kt-white-gold/4574

then I would let her pick out the wedding band, that way she can try on lots, and you can buy the cheapest one you can find on a online store, no reason you have to get them at the same place at the same time

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thritto on the cut - it's not well cut which equates to a less sparkly diamond. Such high clarity is also overkill unless you have some other reason for it that you have not shared.

licerio

Rough_Rock
Thanks all.

Niel, please elaborate on what you don't like about the cut. The one you showed me has the same cut "ideal" as what I have. Or maybe I'm not seeing something here. I'm a newbie. For 1,000 more, the one I have is .07 heavier, VVS2 (instead of VS1) and one color grade (H) above what you showed me.

Also, I am not getting married soon. Good point on buying the band later.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
licerio|1372885222|3476879 said:
Thanks all.

Niel, please elaborate on what you don't like about the cut. The one you showed me has the same cut "ideal" as what I have. Or maybe I'm not seeing something here. I'm a newbie. For 1,000 more, the one I have is .07 heavier, VVS2 (instead of VS1) and one color grade (H) above what you showed me.

Also, I am not getting married soon. Good point on buying the band later.

Not all ideal cuts are equal. Search in Google "pricescope cheat sheet "and you'll see the ideal angles to look for. Also, in tools, you can find the HCA calculator. Type in the angles it asks for and see what it says. Ideally you want less than 2.

And when you search for a stone with those angles, sense they Are the best of the best, the stones are more expensive. Diamond sellers know what they are doing.

The stone I liked you is "only 1k cheaper" but that's a large percentage of your budget. Plus, the difference between a vs and a vvS stone is negligible. So why pay for something you can't see. The stone you picked was too deep, so if you compare the size stone I picked and the one I posted, the difference is like, if I rememeber, 0.1mm.....and the color difference between an h and I is hardly nonoticeable. Many that aren't diamond enthusiasts might not even notice. Its still near colorless just like an h... so why pay 1k on something you can't see, when it could go toward a nicer setting, where the money goes farther to something you WILL see

diamond_concierge

Rough_Rock
Trade
Niel, I enjoyed your comment about the questionable practice of paying more for something you can't see! Clarity characteristics are nature's fingerprints. I personally do not consider Cindy Crawford less attractive because of her mole. Severe clarity issues can interfere with light play, minor clarity issues can be little more than passing distractions. Size and location of the inclusions are important. As for cut, there is only one reason why diamond cutters choose angles that fall outside of the ideal realms: saving carat weight. Ideal cuts will always command a premium because of the extra carat weight loss in cutting.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamond_concierge|1372888222|3476908 said:
Niel, I enjoyed your comment about the questionable practice of paying more for something you can't see! Clarity characteristics are nature's fingerprints. I personally do not consider Cindy Crawford less attractive because of her mole. Severe clarity issues can interfere with light play, minor clarity issues can be little more than passing distractions. Size and location of the inclusions are important. As for cut, there is only one reason why diamond cutters choose angles that fall outside of the ideal realms: saving carat weight. Ideal cuts will always command a premium because of the extra carat weight loss in cutting.

If I am a diamond collector, rarity with color and clarity would come more into play, but my opinion on engagement rings is that you want to get the most beautiful ring for your budget. So to me, its finding what you want to pay for to make it most beautiful. Will clarity make it more beautiful if you can't see it? Will the hardly noticeable difference between h and I make it more beautiful?

One thing that will undoubtedly make ring more beautiful is the cut of the stone and what setting you decide to put it in.

That's just my general outlook on engagement rings. You get a budget, you want to make the most of it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results