shape
carat
color
clarity

Natural Blue Akoya Pearl Studs from PP, But No Rose Overtone

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Hi, I've had my natural blue akoyas from Pearl Paradise for about six weeks now. I really like them a lot. However, they were supposed to have a rose overtone like the others I've seen on here, and I can't see it at all. I think I must have got a silver-overtone pair by mistake. I am very busy and couldn't be bothered to send them back - I do like them, I'm just surprised about the lack of pink. Perhaps the experts can see it??

The mark on the left earring was just a speck of dust, by the way.

The first pic shows all my jewellery that I'm wearing today, then some stud close-ups.

_7661.jpg

gedc2250.jpg

gedc2256.jpg

gedc2257.jpg

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Re: Natural Blue Akoya Pearl Studs from PP, But No Rose Over

More - sorry the quality isn't great. It's the best I could do.

gedc2242.jpg

gedc2247.jpg

gedc2255.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock

Hmmm, I think I'm seeing some pink in the last shot. Can you take a picture of them on white paper or white paper towel? Maybe we can see the pink, or lack of pink, better. If you're not happy, why not exchange them for a pair with a more prominent overtone you want?

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock

Hi bsomlo, thanks for replying. It's interesting you can see some pink in the last shot. I have seen the tiniest hint of pink in a specific light, but if I hadn't known it was meant to have a rose overtone, I would never have noticed. The earrings really look silvery blue.

I was reluctant to exchange for two reasons. First, I really like the blue colour and the lustre of these ones, and the replacements might not be as nice or might have a ridiculous amount of pink, or something. Secondly, I had just come back from my sixth long-haul trip in six months and I had such a mountain of things to do at home that I decided not to exchange them, so I threw away the receipt. I'm not unhappy with them; I really really like them. As you can see, they are gorgeous and lustrous and a wonderful silver-ice blue. I just don't think they have rose overtones as promised, and wondered what others thought. Someone on here had blue akoya dangly earrings from PP, and you could see the rose overtones clearly.

I am going to get the baroque natural blue akoya strand to go with these, I think. I don't like baroque shape as much as round, but can't afford the 3k round strand, so I'm going to get the smallest mm size so the baroque shape isn't as obvious. I've got a small neck so I'm going to ask them to make me a strand that's 15-15.5 inches. I'm looking forward to them, although I'm going to wait a few weeks. They're out of stock in the 7.5-8mm size right now, anyway.

ETA: I'll try to take some shots on a white background.
ETA2: Here they are.

gedc2261.jpg

gedc2264.jpg

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock

Their return policy is so generous-I'd order a second pair. I'd call them and talk to them about the situation and have them hand pick a pair with what you want in mind. Look at both side by side and see what you want to keep.

I don't think a lack of receipt is an issue-I'm sure they have you in their system. Best of luck!

I'm going through this now and have to do the same with regards to a necklace.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

@Smith1942: If the pearls have rose overtones, they should be pretty obvious. I'll go with the other member's suggestions and get one that you really like/love. Pink overtones do add this delicious 'zing' to the blue akoya pearls. I just got a pair and here they are next to some FWP:

I posted a few other shots of my new baroque blue akoyas (necklace and earrings) with rose overtones and comparisons in this post in case you want to have a look:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-pearl-projects.189138/

img_1248.jpg

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock

Hi Smith the pink overtone is not really apparent in my baroque natural blue stand except when I wear a hot pink top then it pops really pink. My earrings the overtones are even more subtle but I still love them.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

4Ranch Girl|1372615539|3474827 said:
Hi Smith the pink overtone is not really apparent in my baroque natural blue stand except when I wear a hot pink top then it pops really pink. My earrings the overtones are even more subtle but I still love them.

Oh then perhaps the pink/rose overtone on mine are quite strong. I asked my colleagues and they could see the overtone. I literally looked at hundreds of blue akoya pearl photos before I bought mine and I think I spotted clear pink overtone on 10% or less of the pearls/pics.

Am sure your blue pearls are lovely with or without the overtone. Looked at your pics again and they have really good lustre.

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock

I think your pearls are lovely :appl: :appl: I much prefer a silver overtone with my fair skin, as they pop much better than the rose tones which just blend in. I have natural white hanadama studs that have just a slight rose tone and I absolutely love them. Your blues would be keepers if they were mine.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock

Thanks everyone! Yes, I do love the icy silvery-blue of my pearls, and am definitely going to keep them. If I exchanged them, I might not like the new pair as much. I was just curious to see if others could see any rose tones in them - to see if it was my eyes deceiving me or not!

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock

No, not visible at all. I have a bracelet with blue akoyas and you can really see the pink overtones!

I ordered a blue akoya pendant from PP and returned it to trade in for a baroque strand (I'm not expecting to see overtones though).
And I cracked during the summer clearance sale and ordered the bracleet that matches the necklace in your link (mixed vietanamese akoyas!).

Enjoy!!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock

I purchased two strands of the baby blue baroque akoyas with pink overtones. When I decided to buy coordinating pearls for earrings to wear with them I went to Pearl paradise to select them. The loose matched pairs were not exactly the same intencity of blue, but I did select the pair with the most obvious pink oveftone they had.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock

Bumped for the use of Sortmon.

SMC

Ideal_Rock

Smith1942|1386390299|3569303 said:
Bumped for the use of Sortmon.
Love these! I think I want ones with more intense blues. I love the silvery-blue too though. I wish I could just buy everything.

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock

Hi Sortmom and smith,
This thread reminded me that at the time I was posting about bracelet (made with akoyas from ebay), not my pp baroque blue strand (although that has some rosy pearls too). I got a deal on a vintage stand of blue akoyas. Some of them were crazed, but enough were in good shape that I could make a bracelet and necklace mixed with white pearls.
I really love the rose overtones on the silvery blue. Hope you find some!

PS. Sortmom, my other love is fcds!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results