shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on Antique vs Modern Stones

inyminy

Rough_Rock
I have a dilemna that I hope the wonderful PS community can help me with. I love both modern and antique diamonds each in their own rite, but I've only lived w/a decent sized modern (my antique is pretty small) and viewed some antiques IRL. In other words I've never owned a large OEC. I don't know which to choose for my e-ring upgrade. :confused: It would be helpful if the PSers who have owned both modern & antique stones tell me how they feel about each, the pros & cons, and which they prefer. Thank you!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an asscher, modern ideal cut RBs, a pear and an OMC. I prefer the bold flashes of light and rainbow colors the best, the OMC and asscher are the best producers of this light display in what I own. My ER is the asscher and my OMC is a pendant. One of these days I would love a five stone ring (with a larger center) and for this I am def. going with an antique inspired cut (DBL colored diamonds). It all depends on what your preference is but I just love the bold flashes and rainbow colors, they are simply mesmerizing!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just lost my whole post, but the bottom line was that I love my new AVR (newly cut OEC) from Good Old Gold more than any round diamond I have ever personally seen even though I do also love H&A stones. I could not have gone from an ideal cut round to a poorly cut antique stone. Your challenge will be finding a well cut antique stone. They are out there, but you just have to be very careful. I found retail prices of good antique OEC's not too far off from the price I paid for my AVR with excellent/ideal cut, so I went with the AVR. But a few girls on here who knew what they were doing scored amazing deals on gorgeous stones on ebay, but I don't think that will be the norm.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-12-ct-avr-is-it-the-one.187487/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-12-ct-avr-is-it-the-one.187487/[/URL]

(pictures on pages 1 and 4 of that thread.)

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I now have the most amazing OEC that I adore and I would never consider going back to MRB. It took me a long time to find the perfect cut OEC that "sings" to me. The bold flashes of color, no head obstruction, and pure beauty of this stone is what works as my dream diamond. 8)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kathley|1365000165|3419297 said:
I now have the most amazing OEC that I adore and I would never consider going back to MRB. It took me a long time to find the perfect cut OEC that "sings" to me. The bold flashes of color, no head obstruction, and pure beauty of this stone is what works as my dream diamond. 8)

Yours is one of the most beautifully cut that I have seen! Love it!

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just recently discovered that I LOVE antique cuts. I have always preferred round brilliants (and I've owned H&A triple ex and just the plain old basic stone) but I found an OMC in an antique store that made my heart sing. It was out of my price range so I started looking at Ruby Lane and Ebay for something I could afford. I found a ring in my price range with an OMC and it is beautiful. I just love the twinkling rainbow on my finger. Then I also found an OEC and it's nice as well. Now I have a bit of a collection of antique cuts. Out of all my purchases, I have one cocktail ring with a dud diamond in it (the rest of the ring is stunning though). I guess the main difference that I can see between the modern cut and the antiques is the rainbow of colors versus the pure sparkle of the new cuts.

I know there's a video on Youtube comparing an OEC and OMC that is helpful. I haven't found one comparing a modern brilliant to and antique but there's probably one out there.

My jeweler actually had an old antique stone in his inventory so you might check around and see if you can find one to look at in person.

Not that I don't still love the modern stones but my current obsession is old cuts.

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1365001036|3419304 said:
kathley|1365000165|3419297 said:

Yours is one of the most beautifully cut that I have seen! Love it!

Thank you diamondseeker for such lovely words! I absolutely love your AVR!!

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
I like both and have a hard time deciding between them myself and go back and forth between my OEC and my MRB.

I know for stones around a carat (+/- a little) I tend to like modern stones and for stones much larger than 1ct I tend to prefer the look of antique stones, but it could also be that I have never seen any really well cut large MRB IRL (yet) so I could be biased on that score.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I went from an MRB (stolen) to a modern cushion to an antique oval. After I got my oval, I got a 3 stone with oec's. For me, there is no comparison. I didn't actually select my original MRB, but had I been consulted, I would not have selected it. I do not personally care for hearts and arrows. If I were going to get a modern cut stone, I'd probably go with an emerald or asscher cut. However, old cuts speak to me in a way that no other type of stone does. However, I prefer a certain type of old stone. The facet pattern has to be appealing to my eye, the table small, the crown high, etc. which is not always easy to find...it is relatively easy to find an awesome MRB compared to an awesome antique stone.

The AVR that DS just got is a blend of the best of both worlds. Great light return, etc. but with vintage faceting and charm....

inyminy

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for taking the time to respond!

I guess the main difference that I can see between the modern cut and the antiques is the rainbow of colors versus the pure sparkle of the new cuts.

You hit it on the head. I think it is the white sparkle of MRBs that bores me a bit. I'm more dazzled by rainbow light displays. I agree one needs to find a well cut OEC, but how can you tell when they're not graded like MRBs? Is it simply a crisp facet pattern & no obstruction? I guess I'm concerned the OEC will only look great in limited lighting scenarios vs the MRB which will look good in almost all lights. Can anyone tell me which lighting situations you like the look of your antique & which you don't?

inyminy

Rough_Rock
Also who in NYC sells larger antique OECs?

InnaR

Shiny_Rock
I think that colors and fire can be easily seen in MRBs. I have tones of it in mine. Mine is 1.81 D/SI1 ex/ex/ex from WF. The difference I notice is that it's more splintery fire comparing to big flashes that old cuts have, but it moves faster across the stone with each slight movement.

I owned many of both kinds while learning my preferences. My tastes keep changing, but at this point of time, I prefer OECs to OMBs and I do like high colors. I purchased and sold and traded in many old cuts, but I never wanted to sell my WF stone.

D1_1.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I have a 2ct MRB (D) and a 5ct antique cushion (O/P). While I love both of them for different reasons it is hard to compare them because they are vastly different. However, my heart sings with the cushion. I just love the facet pattern and how it just has the romantic old world presence for/ to me.

I think you just need to look at old cuts in person and find out if they really work for you. I used to really love the AVC's that I constantly saw on PS, but after seeing it in person I realized within minutes it was not for me at all.

goodluck!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have owned both and I prefer antique cut stones. For all the reasons posted in this thread. The chunky facets and the color play and just the overall appearance. It is truly special. Ofc each different cut is beautiful in different ways so you need to see as many as possible of all kinds that you are considering to see what sings to you.

inyminy|1365011269|3419469 said:

I highly recommend Adam at Old World diamonds. A number of PSers (me included) have gotten our OEC's and antique cushions from him. He has an amazing collection. And he really listens to you. A lovely person with a gorgeous and diverse collection.

Good luck and please come back with pictures when you get your diamond!!

inyminy

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much. I surely will!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
missy|1365023409|3419633 said:
I

inyminy|1365011269|3419469 said:

I highly recommend Adam at Old World diamonds. A number of PSers (me included) have gotten our OEC's and antique cushions from him. He has an amazing collection. And he really listens to you. A lovely person with a gorgeous and diverse collection.

Good luck and please come back with pictures when you get your diamond!!

Yup I also recommend Adam at OWD as he sourced my cushion. JbEG is another option but I feel they are limited to the what they have on their website. While I love working with those ladies I have found that they are much more responsive to inventory they have on hand.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results