shape
carat
color
clarity

Tinkie has cancer :-(

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
So, you all know my story. My beautiful 16 year old kitty EQ had to be put to sleep on December 1st after fighting a long, hard battle that we believe was stomach cancer. It was the worst day of my life and I still think about it every day. EQ was my heart. And as much as I love my Peanut (male maine coon),I could not stand not having a female cat in the house after she passed, so we adopted Tinkerbell (aka Tinkie) from the Anti-Cruelty Society shortly after EQ's death, and she has been my shadow since day one. I love this cat.

3 weeks ago, we brought Tinkie in to our vet because she had been sneezing repeatedly. We thought maybe she had some sort of upper respiratory infection. They did a thorough exam and started her on some anti-biotics. I also mentioned that she seemed to have some bad breath and some lip-smacking tendencies, so they took a look at her mouth and discovered that she had a severely rotten tooth. This upset me, because we adopted her from a very good no-kill shelter that supposedly does a thorough health exam prior to adoption. I was ticked off that they didn't recognize her dental problems and alert us to them at the adoption. I would have adopted her regardless, but it would have been nice to know up front. We ended up spending over $1K last week to have her tooth extracted.

Tonight, the vet called us (the same one who put EQ to sleep 3.5 months ago) to tell us that the histopathology report showed that Tinkie had a malignant tumor in her mouth :(sad At this point, they still don't know what type of cancer it is, and further testing would only cost more $$$ and not really provide any real answers, as they are saying no matter what type it is, there is no cure.

We talked about different types of treatment, including radiation and aggressive surgery to remove part of her jaw. We asked our vet point blank what she, as a cat owner, would do, and she suggested conservative treatment in the way of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory meds to hopefully slow the metastasis.

So...that is what we are going to do. But, damn. I just went through losing EQ 3.5 months ago. I am NOT prepared to lose another cat. They are talking a few months, maybe a year....

I am so upset right now. The only silver lining I can find (since I ALWAYS look for one) is that I KNOW Tinkie will spend her last days in peace, in a home where she is loved. We will do for her what we did for EQ. She is part of our family and I am so sad. ;(

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lil Misfit, I'm so sorry about these devastating news. Life is so unfair sometimes. :blackeye: (((hugs))) Hang in there, it will get better! And Tinkie has the best life she could right now.

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
I am so sorry to hear about EQ as well as poor Tinkie. I can understand what you are going through. My dog Pinku passed away on St Patty's Day in 2006 and I was thinking of her today... All I can say is, think about how lucky and blessed Tinkie is to spend her life with someone who loves her so much. Hang in there. (Hugs) to both of you!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Oh LM I'm so very sorry to hear this. My heart goes out to you and your husband. That is a tough situation, poor Tinkie. I believe you're doing the right thing by keeping her comfortable and allowing her to enjoy her life in your loving home. You will be in my thoughts. :(sad

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Oh my goodness. Not fair. I'm so sorry!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry. The pain of losing one furry family member is awful. Adding the pain of a second so close is just not fair.

The silver lining is that Tinkie has had the great joy of a loving family. She knows she is loved and she will get to spend as much time as she has in a wonderful household with all the food and affection and good things in life. You welcomed her into your family and for that, she and you are better.

Big hugs to you and Tinkie!

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone.

I have to admit, that after all that's happened, I do look at the bright side of things. It's quite possible that if she hadn't been adopted that the shelter would have discovered the cancer and put her to sleep. So, I am grateful that I rescued her from that. I am also grateful that I (and DH) get to spend quality time with her, letting her know how much she's loved, instead of her spending her last days in a cage.

She's an amazing cat, and I honestly thought I'd have at least 8-10 years with her, getting to know her and her quirks, and loving her despite them :lol: so I'm heartbroken that that's not going to be the case. ;(

I'm so effin' pissed off at the Universe right now....

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't believe this...I am so so sorry :(sad

lovingthesparkle

Rough_Rock
I just had to put my cat who was about to be 13 years old to sleep on 3/4/13 due to cancer that we believe was in her spleen or liver. I noticed her losing weight and took her to the vet to find out she was more sick then I could have ever imagined and she only lasted about 3 weeks before I decided to put her down because she was starting to feel pain and wouldn't eat and her breathing wasn't right.. I am sitting here crying for you because my situation is so fresh and I feel for you.. I really wish you all the luck in the world with your Tinkie she is a very lucky cat to have found someone like you to take care of her and to love her at this time in her life. I do believe everything happens for a reason and it just may be that you found each other so she can be with you at this time of need in her life because as you said she would have been in a cage and probably put to sleep if she was still in the shelter when this was found.. I hope for the best and I will keep you and Tinkie in my prayers! Just give her all the love you can and enjoy your time with her while you can. Again I am so sorry to hear your sad story!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no...I am so very, very sorry. After all you've been through...Tinkie is so lucky to have such compassionate and caring people taking good care of her and giving her lots of love. Sweet little thing...my heart is heavy over this. You are all in my thoughts. :(sad

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Lil Misfit|1363396360|3406009 said:
S
I am so upset right now. The only silver lining I can find (since I ALWAYS look for one) is that I KNOW Tinkie will spend her last days in peace, in a home where she is loved. We will do for her what we did for EQ. She is part of our family and I am so sad. ;(

And there it is right there. She will forever be grateful. I'm so sorry Lil Misfit.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Oh, such hard stuff hits us, doesn't it? I feel your heartbreak almost as if it were my own. My very best buddy & beloved Siberian, Buck, had cancer & we let him go last May. October 1 dear sweet generous Meat Loaf, my orange kitty, died; I put him down a few days before he would have gone anyway from heart failure. Sure can wreck your year!

Giving these guys all the love in your heart is the only consolation we have. So they know what it is to connect with someone who adores them & to live their time left in security & comfort. That's the last gift we can give them, and maybe the best one.

Much dust & hugs. Chin up!

-- Laurie

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm so sorry, LM. What a bad string of pet luck you are having. I'm really sad for you to be losing two pets so close together. :blackeye: I think you said it best that you are able to give her love and comfort to spend her days with you and DH. {{{HUGS}}} to all of you... know we are here and you are all in our thoughts.

Hang in there, Tinkie...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, no, I am so sorry Lil Misfit. :cry:
You are right though, thank goodness you were the ones who adopted Tinkie! She will live the rest of her life in peace and comfort and love knowing she is safe and wanted. That is what you must hold onto. I am keeping your whole family in my thoughts and praying for a miracle for Tinkie! (((HUGS)))

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so sorry to hear this. :blackeye: Please know I am dusting, dusting, DUSTING for Tinkie!

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Thank you everyone. It means a lot. Just wanted to add some pics of her here so you can see how beautiful she is.

tinkie.jpg

tinkstretch.jpg

_2961.jpg

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Oh no, I'm so sorry LM :blackeye: Sending lots of dust!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
She's beautiful. I'm so sorry LM.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
That's such a shame. She just got her good forever-home, and now this happens. I have to say, though, that she looks very content and happy in those latest photos, totally different from how she looked in December. You've given her much happiness. I am so sorry that you'll be losing her. Those tumors in mouth and jaw tend to be very aggressive and fast-growing, and there is not much that can be done, unfortunately.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness. I'm so sorry LM :(sad
After everything you've already been through - this is heartbreaking ;(

You're so very right about the silver lining - Tink's finally found her "forever" home and parents. Huge, huge ::HUGS:: LM.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry LM. Sometimes life can be so cruel. Its not fair that you just lost one kitty and now Tink has it too.
I'm hoping whatever they do for Tink slows things down so she can live a long(er) happy life.

Thank you for adopting her.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Im so so sorry, LM :(( thats just terrible, i hope tinkie has lots more time for you to love her, and im so glad she's found her home with you for this time...

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
LM, I'm so, so sorry. :(

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh LM I'm so sorry hon. How cruel that you have to endure this again, let alone so soon. I lost my precious mini foxie three years ago to sarcoma, and it still hurts. Tinkie is a stunning lady, and so lucky to have been brought into your life. Enjoy her. Big big hugs xx

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, no! I am so sorry! :((

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry to hear your terrible news, LM. ;(

I am glad she was blessed to spend her time in such a loving, joyful home. So few cats can experience the happiness you've provided her with over the last few months.

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
Oh no! I am so sorry to hear that, especially after reading your other thread recently. I'm happy that she's loved by you and found a forever home for as long as she can be with you. She's beautiful!

D

Deactivated member 42515

Oh no.... I'm so sorry. I hope you find comfort in your time with her. Pets make such a wonderful impact on our lives. And how amazing it is that she got to spend the last few months loved by you.

I'm always afraid of opening these threads because I'm afraid of losing my own babies... But I really wanted to send you warm thoughts.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry to hear this news. She's a beautiful kitty and thank God she doesn't have to go through this alone.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
LM- I'm so very sorry you are having to go through this again. It's just not fair. I know life isn't fair, but it's just a lot in a little space of time. She's a lovely girl and I'm so glad she is going to get to spend her time with people who care for her rather than a cage. Just spoil her rotten!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results