shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying diamonds from AMAZON.com?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lazerguided

Rough_Rock
I found this site looking for an idea of how much it would cost and what it would look like to have a ring sized down. Wow, thats a long sentence.
tongue.gif
I ordered this one from Amazon. It was soooo much cheaper then local shops, no sales tax... I think its a good value. Has anyone used Amazon to purchase jewlery? I have 30 days to return it so... I can''t see a down side

Specs:

Jewelry Information
Metal stamp: 14k
Metal: white-gold
Material: diamond, white-gold
Minimum total carat weight: 0.4 carats
Certificate type: AGS, IGI
Setting: 4-prong-setting
Total metal weight: 4.06 grams
Number of stones: 7

Stone Information
Gem Type: diamond
Minimum total carat weight: 0.3 carats
Stone shape: round-brilliant-cut
Minimum color: G
Minimum clarity: VS2
Cut: ideal-cut

I know its not huge but its what I can afford. Shes waited long enough. I hope the size 7 is acurate... I had to steal one of hers and compare on the charts. I will post a follow up in a week or two to let you all know how it went... with amazons product, and the "answer" to the question - of course.
eek.gif
Thanks

ringnumber33.jpg

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
You are the first I heard of around here buying a diamond ring from amazon.com.

It is really hard to say about the cut quality without any specifics, but given it is AGS Ideal certed it has potential.

Please let us know how it comes out. And your right...worst case scenario, you send it back. I looked up the ring on amazon.com so I could see the price, and if it doesn't work out a pricescope vendor could probably put something like that together for you at a similar price.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
lazerguided,

A local jeweler should have no problem resizing it for a reasonable price if you guessed wrong. Remember that sizing will probably void your return permission so make sure it's what you want before you have it worked on. You should probably consider having it appraised during the 30 day period. Your specs look pretty good and the design is very nice. Keep us posted.

Neil Beaty GG, ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I see where it says certificate types, AGS, IGI, but I don't see where it says what certs are on your stone. If there is a cert on the center stone why does it not say the weight and give you the information?

Or maybe this is the generic description and each ring will come with the proper paper work. If it is an IGI cert then the market place will discount it somewhat as they do not have a very good reputation at this time.

I did not go look up what you paid, but I am betting that nearly every vendor here would do a better price for you than Amazon will at this time. In a year or two when they have figured out which styles are selling and dumped their vendors to go directly to China to have their rings made then they will be a force to be reconed with, but not yet.

In all fairness, you probably saved money over your local jewelers, but the sales tax issue is one of your conscience. If you live in a state that has a sales and use tax, you are required by law to declare and pay the tax on your own. The fact that almost no one does it at this time does not make it legal, and eventually the states are going to find a way to collect that tax, it is costing them billions and billions (gosh kind of sound like Mr. Sagen here) of dollars not to.

It is a pretty ring style, I hope the quality of the side stones matches that of the center.

Wink

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
Wink,

When I looked it up that ring was around the $1100-$1200 range.

lazerguided

Rough_Rock
Wow, this is a very active forum. How refreshing. The actual price paid (including one day shipping 14.95$) was only 844.95$. The minimum carrat weight is .3001 for the center stone and I am not sure about the sides, Im not expecting much there. I just picked that one out to break up the solid white gold band. They could be glass, but I dont think so, either way, her nor I could tell the difference.
3.gif
The site seems slow today, I have cable and its a 20 second load. Perhaps it is on my end, at any rate its worth the wait. or the weight, I guess you could say... ha! Ok that was lame. I will keep you posted with more details. I was unaware of the sites mentioned on this board, until now. Should I need a real wedding ring, I will keep them in mind. This will be my first ever internet purchase, save a videogame from Amazon. and a book. Each 20$. I am a little worried.... But you only live once I suppose. Ship date is to be between 8/25 and 9/2. I will post back by then, or when something happens. Thank you for your time.

546545456464.jpg

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lazer,

Did they discount you for the final price? I'm surprised that your price is so different from the one that Wonka looked up. As was mentioned, you are the first Amazon customer that we've seen and we would love some insights about how a deal works over there.

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independend Appraisals in Denver

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
You know what, I think I looked it up as a platinum ring, not a white gold ring. That is where the price diff is. Sorry for my mistake...just used to everyone that has white looking rings around here to be in platinum
1.gif

lazerguided

Rough_Rock
Yes, it is white gold. She has said she prefers silver to gold, and almost all her jewlery is silver. Amazon offers white gold, I am not familiar with it... I hope it compares to silver...

reena

Ideal_Rock
she was most likely referring to color and not substance. i think you made the right choice.

lazerguided

Rough_Rock
I got the "confirmation" email from Amazon... I hope to "do it" on Friday night... Tuesday by the latest. We have plans the next weekend. I fear it may be a 1/2 size too big. Does anyone know how long it takes to have a ring sized. I called a few local jewlers and its between 15-20$ but I forgot to ask how long it would take, and feel silly calling back. Is this something that can be done in an hour or two or is it a two day process?

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
Probably depends on the jeweler. If they have in house people, it can probably be done as soon as they can get to it. If it needs to go out to a central location or is outsourced, it may take longer. You just need to ask. Don't feel silly about it at all!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The actual bench work normally takes less than an hour but there may be scheduling difficulties with the jeweler you choose. It just depends on what else they have going on. I'm sure they will be happy to discuss it with you and there are quite a few that will do it while you wait for a small extra fee.

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

lazerguided

Rough_Rock
It came today! All I could hope for and more! Even though they raised the price a few hundred, I would recomend anyone to Amazon. You can read my review of the ring there too. Thank you all for your support and time reading this. I can't say enough about this forum. Its just great! I've learned so much, I want to help anyone I can mikesigwart(at)rr.wi.com (no spam please). Email me if you have any questions about the Amazon order. I tried posting a picture of the certs that came with it... it said contact system admin... ?? I can email them to anyone interested. I will make one final post with "the answer" in to this techno oblivian. It seems so superficial, but it is very practical and has helped others and myself sooooo much. Thank you. Again, two thumbs up to amazon!

Mike
** I did get the photo to work, I think it was too big, I had to crop it and cut the quality down...
sad.gif

slkfjsklskfslf.jpg

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What do you mean they raised the price a few hundred? I am very interested to know how I can do this too, quote a rediculesly low price to get the business, then raise the price a few hundred and still have people be happy with me.

Please give us more details.

Wink

motcs

Rough_Rock
I think he meant that the "same" ring at Amazon is now listed at a higher price. I believe this is the one that was purchased...

Amazon link

lazerguided

Rough_Rock
Yes, thats what I bought. And its great! When I bought it, the price was 844.95$ with next day air. Now, ( two weeks later ) the ring is listed at 1030$. Thats all, I would have paid that much but, I was happy I got in when I did. The ring is awesome, and everything went as smooth as silk with Amazon. Thats how I can recomend them, even with a 200$ raise in price.

She loves it too, and now its being sized... So that went well too!
1.gif
GL to everyone else and thank you for your time and thoughts.

Peace.

lazerguided

Rough_Rock
HA! Its funny you should mention the price hikes like that... I went onto a friends computer just to make sure before I gave them such a good review. But again, I cant say enough about the whole thing. Later.
10.gif
wavey.gif
eek.gif
rolleyes.gif
lickout.gif
appl.gif
appl.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results