shape
carat
color
clarity

For all who have been successful selling on PS

Abby12

Shiny_Rock
Hi
As many of you know, i have a size 4 custome made eternity ring set in plat with .23 d, vvs1 hearts and arriws stones, all GIA certified.
I would live to sell so i can begin another project. What is a good list price?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How many stones?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I almost hate to say this because your ring is so beautiful, but I think the fastest way you could start to turn it around is by selling stones separately, or in chunks of five (for five-stone rings) or something. Most people just don't have 15 to 20 grand to drop on a ring, and when you're limiting it to size fours - heck, even if I had the money, I'm half a size too big! If you don't mind taking a big loss, you could drop the price by more, but I think the only ways for you to recoup most of your money are to either wait a long time to sell (possibly by consignment) or sell it in pieces.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1346162462|3258479 said:
I almost hate to say this because your ring is so beautiful, but I think the fastest way you could start to turn it around is by selling stones separately, or in chunks of five (for five-stone rings) or something. Most people just don't have 15 to 20 grand to drop on a ring, and when you're limiting it to size fours - heck, even if I had the money, I'm half a size too big! If you don't mind taking a big loss, you could drop the price by more, but I think the only ways for you to recoup most of your money are to either wait a long time to sell (possibly by consignment) or sell it in pieces.

agreed, you could make a lot of little pendants with all of that!

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Are you talking about this ring? [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/hearts-and-arrows-d-color-vvs1-and-if-diamonds-size-4-t178160.html']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/hearts-and-arrows-d-color-vvs1-and-if-diamonds-size-4-t178160.html[/URL]

15 x D color IF/VVS1 clarity 0.23/0.24 ct stones in a platinum full eternity? Asking $17,250?

I think distracts brought up some very good points, but regardless of whether you decide to sell the ring as is or the stones separately I think you have to substantially lower your asking price and your expectations of how much you can sell the ring/stones for.

For reference a D color VVS1 clarity 0.24 ct stone with cherry numbers and image can be bought for $700 from JA:
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/D-VVS1-Excellent-Cut-Round-Diamond-1256254.asp

15 x $700 = $10,500

This of course comes with JA's full return and refund policy. Add perhaps $2,000 for a well made platinum full eternity setting? $12,500 total?

Alternatively a custom made platinum full eternity from BGD with 4 ctw or 16 x F/G color VS clarity 0.25 ct signature stones is also listed for $12,500: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/wedding-and-anniversary-bands/eternity-bands/stephanies-hearts-platinum-5389p

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Are all the stones VVS1 or are some IF (I thought you advertized IF as well) ? Are the stones laser inscribed--otherwise how will you know the difference between the gems?

cheers--Sharon

Abby12

Shiny_Rock
Hi
Yes a few are IF as well, but mostly vvs1. There are 15 stones in the ring, plus i have one extra.
They are all engraved. It takes a really long time to accumulate all thise stones to match at that caliber so that is why i wa curious about price.
If i took it apart for instance, then what is a reasonable price to ask?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think your best best is getting in touch with either your original vendor for a trade in, or with the PS vendor you want to do your next project with (if they carry Hearts and Arrows stones) and see about a trade in. GOG might go for it ERD might go for it, IDJ might go for it, WF may go for it. It's worth the ask.

I honestly can't see very many PSers spending the money for VVS/IF and such high color. Many PSers are looking for the bargain G-H VS2-SI1 offer so they can get more for their money.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Just to add to what Gypsy just posted, that goes double for ebay. People on there want the most bang for their cash. They want it big, flashy, and CHEAP. They are not really your target audience for this type of diamond band.

There is another seller on there who is selling something very similar - a very high quality diamond eternity band, all individually graded by GIA, and she does not seem to be having much luck either.

Very high quality diamonds are not really practical in an eternity band, as the bottom ones are not going to stay that way very long through normal wear. Many people for that type of money are going to want to put it towards a large solitaire.

You could consign this with a top $ jewelry store who brings in the type of people who would be interested in this type of quality. Or as someone suggested, sell the diamonds in groups. They would make lovely 5 and 7 diamond wedding bands or even earrings.

Abby12

Shiny_Rock
I have contacted 2 of the vendors mentioned and both said no.
I was hoping to trade it in and buy a single diamond which would cost substantially more.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thbmok|1346165583|3258508 said:
15 x $700 = $10,500

This of course comes with JA's full return and refund policy. Add perhaps $2,000 for a well made platinum full eternity setting? $12,500 total?

Alternatively a custom made platinum full eternity from BGD with 4 ctw or 16 x F/G color VS clarity 0.25 ct signature stones is also listed for $12,500: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/wedding-and-anniversary-bands/eternity-bands/stephanies-hearts-platinum-5389p

And that would be retail... I think she'd start getting bites on the whole ring around $7500. Which is $500 per diamond. She could start listing it at $9000, but I see that taking considerably longer to sell.

I think if you took it apart, $500 per diamond is what will get them sold. Even the GOG August Vintage Melee, which we all know is priced higher than regular rounds, has .25ish D VSish stones for around $800. At a certain point, if you are close enough to the retail price, people aren't going to buy because they'd rather just go for the brand new thing that has the guarantees and return policy and whatnot.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will have to agree with others is that most of us aren't looking for D VVS. I like higher color and clarity than many here, but I'd be looking for F-G VS for an eternity ring. Plus very few people wear size 4. With stones that size, most people would be having WF or BG make the ring with their signature stones but they wouldn't be individually certified and that would also save money on each stone.

I'd say you may be able to sell individual stones for around $500-600 each but that means nothing but scrap for the ring itself. Honestly, I wouldn't sell it at that price. I'd keep it and enjoy it and start a savings account for a large diamond.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Abby the problem is you paid for a rarity factor that few others will care about in the general PS population :blackeye: . You bought based on your idiosyncratic desires, which is fine! But when it comes to resale, that will bite you in the tush. Other people will not pay extra for something they do not personally value.

I suspect the only way you will be able to sell it on the secondary market is if you *ignore* the color and clarity and just price it as you would price a ring with G VS stone (for example), because that is what most people want in a ring like that.

OR you will need to find a way to reach a market of individuals who DO value D color IF VVS stones in something like that. If you can find that buyer who was looking for a ring like this, then I have found bands (other than five stone ands perhaps) depreciate in value a lot on resale compared to larger diamonds (.30+). Seems to me bands sell in the 50% retail range. Painful but true.

That's my opinion though you can take it our leave it :)) And good luck!

Abby12

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone for your input!
I will keep it listed and uf there is another person out there that values the quality then great. If not, i will just keep it!
I have already started saving for my next project which i do hope will come to fruition.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brian Gavin Select 0.3 E VVS2 stones are selling for $900. If we think your stones retail each at $1000, even though they're smaller... then you have your ring priced around retail, probably. That's just not going to sell. If you would like to sell it for a higher price like that, you should probably consign it. And you still probably won't get as much as you are asking. It's not about people not valuing the quality - it's about your pricing not taking into account that you are selling on the secondhand market. People shopping secondhand do it generally because they want to find a deal. And your ring is not currently, as far as I can tell, really any significant percentage below what people could buy similar things for elsewhere. People who pay attention to detail and want high quality probably aren't going to be trolling ebay for diamond rings. As well, you only have five feedbacks on ebay - very, very few people, and almost no savvy online shoppers, will be buying a multi-thousand-dollar item from someone with so little feedback. So you are limiting yourself in multiple ways - to people who aren't looking for a deal yet still want to buy secondhand (this eliminates pretty much all PSers), who are a size four, and who are dumb enough to want to drop a ton of money on a vendor with no record. I just... it's not likely. At all. Period. The more I think about it, the more I think that if you want to sell it whole, you need to consign it, and if you want to sell it quickly, you should take it apart. Earrings go really fast on DB, and you could probably sell several pairs for $1000-$1200 each, either loose stones or for a little bit more stones in simple settings.

ETA: And if you are going to continue trying to sell it yourself, you need much better photos. Get the ring professionally cleaned and when you pick it up and through the photoshoot handle it with gloves so you don't get them all fingerprinty. Add a scan of one of the GIA reports, with a macro photo of the number on one of the stones (you'll probably need a full set to be able to email any buyers). Have some good photos of the hearts and arrows. Have a photo on your hand. Take them in indirect sunlight - the indoor lighting in your pics is really unflattering to them.

ETA2: Basically what I'm saying is that you are not being competitive enough in the market.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Distracts gave you great advice. So did Dreamer.

If I want to buy a band, especially if I want one at D IF, WHY would I buy from you?

* You have bad pictures.
*You have 5 ebay feedback.
*Your price is close to retail.
*And the ring is used.
*The ring is a size four, and there aren't that many people with fingers that size.

You have to lower the risk for your buyers, AND make your item more attractive than calling up Whiteflash and ordered the band new.

You need at a minimum:
Much better pictures of a clean ring, and newly polished up to look new.
You need much lower price so that there is a benefit to buying from you.
The certificates loaded on the listing.

I can't see you selling that ring for more than 8k. You really would be best off selling them as pairs for earrings-- ON EBAY where there is buyer protection.

The reason it took you so long to buy them and get them all together is the same reason you are going to have a hard time selling them: there's very little demand for stones at that size, color and clarity. It's not because they are rare in nature, it's because there is no demand so vendors do not stock them as it would mean sitting on inventory that won't move. It's not about quality. It's about supply and demand. And a smart shopper (like those on PS) knows that an F/G VS band is going to look exactly like that one, and cost a fraction of the price.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I suggest you try an auction house. Bigger (potential) market. Dupuis is a good choice here in Canada and they are visiting cities around Canada now for their Fall auction. Or if you are close to the Eastern Canadian border (I think you are, Toronto??) fly or drive to NYC and see what else it affords. You loose nothing in the asking.

Dupuis is very good at answering detailed emails, as well as phone calls, or you can visit in person. They have a FB presence.

There is a new company advertizing here to buy goods. Have you contacted them?

Good luck. You have a beautiful product as I am a D IF stone lover. :love: I would like you to realize a decent return.

cheers--Sharon

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
you could consign with JBEG or another vendor for a month or so and see if you get any bites. i agree re: it can't be priced at retail. but it's a good chunk of change so you could try consigning it and seeing how that works, otherwise piecemealing is a good idea (so sad though).

UberClaire

Shiny_Rock
This may be a crazy thought, but aren't D/IF diamonds especially popular in Asian countries? I don't know how you could market it better, but that may be a better customer base.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Didn't you pay $850 each for the stones? $850 x 15 = $12,750.

I don't think you will be able to sell them for more than you paid.

Abby12

Shiny_Rock
For those who asked......i actually paid more than 850 per stone.
Anyway, i think i will just keep the ring. It is a beautiful ring. I will keep it listed until it expores, but i realize it likely will not sell.
That is ok too.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Abby, it is a special and gorgeous ring that anyone would love to have! If it were my size and G VS and discounted 30% off retail, I would be making an offer! So I think that is how it would have to be priced, as someone has already said. I think the same about selling in groups of 5 stones for a 5 stone ring...price it 30% below what 5 G VS1 stones would cost.

But this ring will be such a wonderful heirloom, so I hope you just keep it!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You’ve got a couple of uphill battles that you, and many other private sellers face.

1) Most people don’t like to buy ‘used’ engagement/wedding rings. There exceptions of course but it’s a symbolic thing and unless they’re aiming for a specific antique sort of style, secondhand rings like this don’t do all that well. People prefer to buy from established dealers for some decently good reasons.

2) Eternity bands are effectively impossible to size.

3) High clarity/color combinations cater to a different group of customers than most of the folks shopping in the popular marketplaces (ebay, craigslist, vintage jewelry stores, antique store).

4) A dealer who puts this in their case will likely have it there for quite a while before it sells because of the above reasons, and they’re going to want to take it apart and sell the stones separately. Even at that they are likely to take a while because high clarity/color combinations are difficult to move. That means they’re going to want a higher profit margin to offset the need to tie up their money. That’s why the dealers refused. It’s not that they’re unwilling to buy this sort of thing, they just don’t like your price.

5) As a side note, condition is a huge topic on this sort of thing. Eternity bands tend to get damaged rather easily and the amount of damage required to turn an IF into a VS2 is remarkably small. Any customer buying such stones will want them to be ‘perfect’ so even a tiny amount of damage makes the stone like these nearly worthless on resale.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Abby, if you decide to keep it afterall, I hope you can enjoy the ring, instead of resent that you had to keep it.

It does sound like selling as a complete entity is too risky. Separating out the stones in singles/pairs/groups may be the way to go, if that's what you decide after wearing it a bit longer.

Good luck! :))

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with UberClaire that Asians are more into D, IF/VVS diamonds. But I think they also prefer "new" diamonds, even though we all know some diamonds that are being sold as "new" could have been "used" many times. It's a mind clean thing.

I think it might be the best if you could have the individual diamonds checked and if necessary, re-polished, and then have a jewelry shop sell the diamonds for you. As long as they look as new as when you got them, you don't have to mention secondhand unless necessary.

I know that Cross Jewelers provides polishing service for worn gems, and re-cutting service for diamonds. I heard they love setting D/E diamonds. You could try selling your ring or just the diamonds to them, but I don't think they will pay anywhere near the retail price. At wholesale price, maybe.
http://crossjewelers.com/helpful_info/default.asp#services

cmaha33

Rough_Rock
Abby, for what it's worth, I am into VVS1/IF diamonds. My center marquise is a D IF, and my two side pears are D IF and D VVS1; all three are GIA certified and have been appraised by David Atlas. And, yes, I am Asian. But my mother and her friends are more into size than color or clarity. Believe me, If I had the money right now, I would snap your ring up in a heartbeat :love: I am a size 4-1/4, so I'm sure I could squeeze into it :bigsmile: Good luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results