shape
carat
color
clarity

Help choosing wedding band for warm AVC solitaire

UberClaire

Shiny_Rock
Hey everybody -- we got in touch with Good Old Gold to ask about the possibility of custom-making a wedding band using warmer colored diamonds. My engagement ring is a M color AVC in a platinum solitaire setting, so we need a platinum wedding band. I bought this ring:

loupetroop.jpg

Which I absolutely love, but I worry that the diamonds are going to contrast too much with my AVC, pictured here:

DSC01645.jpg

The band is currently too small and in need of a polishing, so it's hard to compare the color contrast. My engagement ring setting is split-claw prong, so I'd like a wedding band with a more vintage feel. Good Old Gold couldn't source anything like the wedding band that I love, but they recommended this ring from Unique Settings of NY that can be custom set with M-N color melee.

uniquesettings.jpg

It's similar to a style from Blue Nile that I like, but the diamonds are full 1 pointers instead of Blue Niles .06-0.07 pointers.
http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-ring-platinum_30601

What would you guys do? Do you think the band Good Old Gold recommended will look good with my engagement ring? Will 1 pointers overwhelm my ring? That might be a stupid question, but I can't really comprehend the size difference without seeing them in person.

Will the diamonds in the band be so small that the color won't be noticeable and they will still look whiter than my AVC because they're just giving off really small flashes? We're worried about making a custom order that we won't be able to return.

The price is comparable to Blue Nile's ring, so that's not an issue. I really love the style of that first vintage ring -- I'm wondering if we should get that one polished and sized to see how big the contrast really is.

Sorry for all the questions!

CaratLover2

Shiny_Rock
I think what you have bought already will be fine (I am reading it correctly that you have already purchased it right?!)

But if you really are unsettled then, if it were me, I would look into something like this http://www.victorcanera.com/jewelry/bands/hand-engraved-scroll-motif-eternity-band.html

No melee, just engraving. No issue with melee contrast (which I think may well prove hard to avoid even with the warm melee) and it definitely has that vintage feel.

Good luck!

UberClaire

Shiny_Rock
I've already purchased the band in the first picture, it just needs to be polished, cleaned and sized. Because I can't wear it due to the size, it's hard to tell how much contrast there will be in the color of the stones. I don't know if I should pony up the cash to resize it, knowing I may have to sell it (although I could probably wear it on its own on days where I did not wear my engagement ring).

The second picture is the one we're deciding on, I just don't know if the warmer melee will even make a difference as the stones are small -- maybe they'll face up very white because they're small? It's so hard to know without being able to physically see the band.

I really like the idea of the engraved bands -- I actually picked up a vintage one on eBay. My only concern is that I don't know if those can be polished like a regular band, so the patina may have a very noticeable color difference.

If I was made of money, I'd love to have that first band custom made with warmer melee -- because there are baguettes in that ring, it might actually make a difference.

CaratLover2

Shiny_Rock
If you have already bought it ... I would wear it. I'm just not getting the feeling that YOU "love" it from your post tis all. Do you love it?

To be honest, I sometimes think people make far too much out of the melee contrast. I know it's all personal preference, and each to their own - but I like the contrast.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Small round brilliant diamonds will *always* look whiter than a lager tinted stone, no matter the body color of the small stones. This is the nature of optics and how the eye perceived light. So, if you want a diamond band I like the one you already own a lot and think it will look lovely with your AVC. But there will be contrast. In my opinion if you want diamonds the only real way to not have constrast is to use tinted french cuts, which seem to really have similar light return and show body color well, from photos and anecdotal opinions (LGK and BrightIce for example), tinted french cuts look very nice with chunky tinted stones.

Single cuts in the body color you want could work better since single cuts will show more bosy color thatn modern RBs.

I feel your pain, I really do, because I too like diamonds on a wb but do not like contrast. My diamond faces up in the I-J range and still it constrasts more than I want with small RBs.

My solution is a plain, engraved/milgrain wedding band. Adds testure and interest without the contrast. And maybe one day I will pony up for french cuts.

novicediamond

Shiny_Rock
I agree with Dreamer and CL2 - I took have an M AVC E ring and am in the same boat as you - I actually nearly bought that baguette wedding band too! good choice!! For me I like single cuts or french cuts with AVC's, I think you can get the french cuts in warmer colours, I read somewhere LM can get them in K which would be a good match...I remember a poster who had a 3 carat AVC and she got LM to source K french cuts for her E Ring band..I also think a plain yellow gold band is lovely and warm, Im thinking of getting that and an Eternity band too...happy hunting!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CaratLover2|1345129685|3252355 said:
To be honest, I sometimes think people make far too much out of the melee contrast. I know it's all personal preference, and each to their own - but I like the contrast.

I'm laughing, because it drives me absolutely barmy ::) To each his own, indeed!

Ditto Dreamer - tinted french cuts are probably the best bets... pricey lil' buggers though! If you want rounds go with single cuts.

Edited - formatting is showing up as html on my screen..?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CaratLover2|1345129685|3252355 said:
If you have already bought it ... I would wear it. I'm just not getting the feeling that YOU "love" it from your post tis all. Do you love it?

I do too! Most of the time I don't even notice much of a difference, but when I do, I think the contrast is quite pretty.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results