shape
carat
color
clarity

Local area that does Idealscope

jyeh74

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I am in So cal. The retailer I am working with does not have the equipment to do idealscope images or ASET images. I read that you can order a do-it-yourself kit for $25 or send it out to have someone do it.

http://www.americangemsociety.org/newhandheldaset
Has anyone done this? I don't have the expertise to analyze these for the 3 RB stones I am looking at. I just know more red is better and less black and green is better.

Here are idealscope kits
http://www.ideal-scope.com/cart_order.asp
So many different kinds, probably better to send it to someone local to analyze if my retailer cannot do it.

Does anyone know where to do this? I am in So Cal. Orange County.

Is there really a difference between ASET and Idealscope? I think Idealscope is for round and ASET is for everything else.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
ASET shows a bit more information, but IS is sufficient for MRB. There are independent appraisers who have ASET/IS setups and can look at stones for you, but they are likely to charge much more than $25 per stone.

jyeh74

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Yes, I couldn't believe my local retailer did not use this. But I actually called around and numerous places here in OC did not use idealscope technology. Maybe they are old school or did not invest in the equipment. Seems like a few online and local places do it, but they do charge a lot more (higher markup) on the same stones to call in. I guess it is the service but the retailer I am working with has best prices and has been working with me for awhile so I am going with him. Is it dangerous to buy one just with looking through a loop without idealscopes? I'm throwing the HCA out (with stones that score higher than 2.0) because I read that there are a lot of disclaimers and aren't always accurate. So just cause a stone scores higher than 2, does not mean I will rule it out completely.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
If you are sticking with AGS 0 or GIA EX cuts, it's not likely that you'll end up with an ugly stone, but you can potentially find a stone that looks better if you take ASET/IS images into account. Unless you have done extensive comparisons in person with superideals alongside more common makes and know what you like and are looking for, I don't think it's a good idea to completely ignore the HCA and forgo ASET/IS images if you are picky about light return.

jyeh74

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Yes, all stones are GIA xxx.
Except some score right around 2's and some score in 3's
Nothing under 2 right now.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Have you seen this article? http://www.pricescope.com/journal/laboratory_cut_grades_what_report_doesn%E2%80%99t_show

cutgrade12-cutstudycompiled.jpg

All GIA EX cut, but IMO the cut difference are very visible. This is very much similar to what I have seen in person when I was shopping for my stone. IMO if you are comparing stones in person getting an ASET/IS will help you learn to spot the differences quicker.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello! Fellow So-Cal-er here *waves!

When I was searching for a RB, I also was met with jewelers who didn't even know what an Idealscope was. I even got a few who tried to convince me that all the new things or methods online were really "useless", and "ways to make me spend more $ on a stone that looks the same as another one that's cheaper". I had jewelers that even claimed a "VG" is virtually the same thing as an "EX EX EX".. and that "good" is good enough. .. LOL! SO FOS! They'll do whatever it takes to make you feel like you're "getting a deal" so that you'd buy from them.

Do yourself the favor and buy yourself the basic idealscope kit. With that and a loupe in hand, you walk into jewelry stores appearing like you exhude knowledge about diamonds.. and hopefully that deters some of the bullsh!t from many B&M locations.

Where are you shopping at, exactly? My OC friends usually travel to downtown LA to go to diamond/jewelry district.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and if anything, you can always sell your Idealscope back through the Preloved section, or DB. Newbies are always getting Idealscopes :)

jyeh74

Shiny_Rock
Trade
madelise|1344786193|3250172 said:
Hello! Fellow So-Cal-er here *waves!

When I was searching for a RB, I also was met with jewelers who didn't even know what an Idealscope was. I even got a few who tried to convince me that all the new things or methods online were really "useless", and "ways to make me spend more $ on a stone that looks the same as another one that's cheaper". I had jewelers that even claimed a "VG" is virtually the same thing as an "EX EX EX".. and that "good" is good enough. .. LOL! SO FOS! They'll do whatever it takes to make you feel like you're "getting a deal" so that you'd buy from them.

Do yourself the favor and buy yourself the basic idealscope kit. With that and a loupe in hand, you walk into jewelry stores appearing like you exhude knowledge about diamonds.. and hopefully that deters some of the bullsh!t from many B&M locations.

Where are you shopping at, exactly? My OC friends usually travel to downtown LA to go to diamond/jewelry district.

Hi Madelise,

high five fellow so caler! I am going with Brax in Newport. Have you worked with them?

Even if I get the basic kit, it doesnt give the full capability and print out and captures on computer screen, etc.
Are you talking about the beginner's scope for $25?
http://www.ideal-scope.com/cart_order.asp

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
An Ideal-scope is not a digital device. It's a little pink plastic reflector that you hold up to the stone and look through. The photographs you see are taken with a camera through an idealscope. At the high end, like what you see with the dealers using this as a selling tool, they spend thousands of dollars on camera equipment and count their photo skills as among their most closly held trade secrets. At the low end it's amazing what you can do with a phone and a bit of practice.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hha no I've never gone there. But I've been meaning to take a Newport weekender trip!!

DA gave you excellent info. You can buy the Idealscope, but I'd also suggest getting the little light up tool thingy too. It comes all in the kit. The Idealscope website gives you tips on how to take pics. I have used just my cellphone to get a good IS image.

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
O
M
G.

Jyeh! You're still around and STILL Looking? :wavey: I thought you were done and found the one??? Still no contenders, huh?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results