shape
carat
color
clarity

A question about online purchases

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bensbabe

Rough_Rock
I''ve seen in a few posts around here that some online stores offer discounts to PS-ers....Is that true? And who? Is is a secretive thing?
confused.gif
I''ve only seen sites with wire transfer discounts.........Also, does anyone know how much these discounts generally run? It may help me "upgrade" my diamond''s size & quality!!!
22.gif
We''ll be looking to get it pieced together soon (after we get refund checks in Sept), and I''ve been searching forever, so I am anxious! Thanks!

bensbabe

Rough_Rock
*bump*
9.gif

Just wanted some more answers. My main question is "Is there an even bigger discount for PSers?" Like a "mentioning this site" discount (ie: not posted on this site) Thanks!!!

Becky

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
5% is the most I've ever seen or heard of. And that's usually only on cash prices. It's not anything that will let you get a diamond twice the size, but it's a nice little savings.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 7/28/2004 11:44:41 PM bensbabe wrote:

I've seen in a few posts around here that some online stores offer discounts to PS-ers....Is that true? And who? Is is a secretive thing?
confused.gif
I've only seen sites with wire transfer discounts.........Also, does anyone know how much these discounts generally run? It may help me 'upgrade' my diamond's size & quality!!!
22.gif
We'll be looking to get it pieced together soon (after we get refund checks in Sept), and I've been searching forever, so I am anxious! Thanks!
----------------

There is a listing on the front page of pricescope that says who their participating vendors are. These vendors pay to list their stones here because it's good advertising. It's a strategy decision for them to decide if they want to list a lower price in the first place or offer a discount later. In the end it's a pretty level playing field and these guys are very competitive with one another. The straight answer to your questions is to ask each one if the stone you are interested in is available for a better price.

The discount for wires, prepayments, etc. is because it lowers their costs and their risks. Credit cards charge the merchant a fee that is usually about 2% of the purchase price. On diamonds, this turns out to be significant. If they take your check, they have to deal with banking and postal delays as well as the possiblity of your check not clearing. It's just cheaper, faster and safer for them to get a wire. Since many customers are nervous about this, they want to make several payment options available but they don't have sufficient margins to absorb these additional costs as a 'free' service.

I hope this helped,

Neil Beaty, GG
www.gemlab.us

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results