shape
carat
color
clarity

Rubys Set

Dynamit

Rough_Rock
I would like to know from experts what is this set worth?
It was passed on to me thru my grandmother. All I know about it, that its a hand made set that was bought in 1950s in China by her husband. It means that its at least 60+ years old. Maybe it was manufactured earlier but there is no paperwork of any kind. All rocks have been hand cut and polished. It doesn't have any stamps of manufacturer, but a few jewelers a decade ago confirmed that its authentic and real. The whole set weights about 37 grams 750 hallmarks of gold, to american conversion its 18 kt gold I believe.

Here are the paremeters:
Hand made
Ring is - 5.7g
Chain - 7.94
Neclase - 11.26g
Earrings - 2 x 6.14 = 12.28
Stones are rubies and sapphires.

As I was explained its worth a lot more then a scrap metal so please give me any info as you can.

Here is the picture:
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o44/dynamit0711/Jewelryset.jpg

Thanks

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please upload your picture onto PS using the Upload Attachment tab below (via the edit or reply button)

There's a few things that you'll need to know -
1. Are those really rubies and sapphires?
2. What treatment have they undergone (heated, flux healed, composite, glass filled, diffused or nothing)?
3. Colour quality (red, purplish, pink - tone and saturation)?

I am very surprised that the gold is only 18K. Pure gold or at least 22K is very popular in Asia and 18K is looked down upon as custom jewellery in that culture.

Since I cannot see the picture, how many stones are there and what are their approximate sizes?

Dynamit

Rough_Rock
I was trying to upload it to PS, but for some reason it won't let me.
I uploaded it to photobucket, it works if you click on a link.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty set - the rubies are bright and more pink than red, the sapphire is somewhat dark. What you'll need to do is find a gemmologist who is experienced with corundum to check if what treatment they have undergone. Pricing is set by primarily by colour (purity of hue, tone and how vivid the saturation is), size and treatment. How accurate are the colours shown in the link?

Jewelryset.jpg

Dynamit

Rough_Rock
The picture is almost very accurate to real colors. Stones didnt go thru any treatment as was told by the jeweler, everything is hand made. Gold is very yellow so it might be higher then 18K. Unfortunately I cant take it to gemmologist because its located in a different country. I just wanted to know if its worth to bring it to US or sell it there.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the gold has a 750 Hallmark, then it is 18K, no higher and no lower. The reason it looks yellower is due to the alloy used.

What did the jeweller use to verify that the stone are what they are and that they are untreated? Is he/she a certified gemmologist? Does he/she have the necessary lab equipment to verify the refractive index, microscope and etc to check for treatment and gem type?

Unfortunately, whether it is worth it or not, depends upon the result of the verification. If the picture shows accurate colour, the sapphire is very dark (inky). The rubies are more pink than red, more into the spectrum of pink sapphire rather than ruby. Diffusion will also drop pricing down to mere tens of dollars. This is why knowing the exact treatment is very important.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono: assuming the stones are original to the piece (big assumption, I know), was diffusion around in that time period?

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I would bet it is worth bringing to the US to sell it rather that sell it there, however, the Chinese market is opening while the US market is shrinking so it may not be long before it will be worth more there. It cost nothing to bring into the states unless you declare it at customs. Best regards, Lee

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Surface diffusion was probably around then but not bulk lattice diffusion which was discovered around 2002 or thereabouts.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results