carat
color
clarity

I want a RED Front Door!!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Let me preface my post by saying that I have no sense of color, like what shade of what color looks good with a different color. Also, this is an old photo of our door that I posted on here a few years ago before I pulled out most of the then-overgrown garden bed. My apologies for a crummy photo, but it's one I was able to retrieve quickly for posting.

On to my question, would any design-savvy PS-ers like to suggest a shade of red for this door. Maybe you have a red front door that you love? I do not really care for the current color, and would like a much brighter red. Can I just go with any red? Do I over-think things?

Thanks!

front door.jpg

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
You're not over-thinking when it comes to a red front door. The front door is a very important part of your house. That's what everyone is guaranteed to see when they come over to visit.

I think the first thing you should look at is your house colors/trim/plants and see if they'd coordinate more with an red with orange undertone or a red with a blue undertone. I've used red a lot inside my house and we use to have an entirely red couch/two chair/two ottoman set and it REALLY made the room stand out and I loved it!

ETA - can you post a current photo?

ETA more - be sure to take a current photo with you when going paint shopping! It'll help when talking to a person in the paint department.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC|1335458776|3181463 said:
You're not over-thinking when it comes to a red front door. The front door is a very important part of your house. That's what everyone is guaranteed to see when they come over to visit.

I think the first thing you should look at is your house colors/trim/plants and see if they'd coordinate more with an red with orange undertone or a red with a blue undertone. I've used red a lot inside my house and we use to have an entirely red couch/two chair/two ottoman set and it REALLY made the room stand out and I loved it!

ETA - can you post a current photo?

ETA more - be sure to take a current photo with you when going paint shopping! It'll help when talking to a person in the paint department.

I'm really bad with photos and posting. That's why I posted old photos! Haha. I don't know why everyone else is so much better with posting pictures. I will try, but at work now. I will say the garden beds are a work in progress, and I know there's a pic on here somewhere with one of the primary plants that is closest to the door. They are pink, so I will post those.

I absolutely dread going paint shopping. It takes me forever. I am so indecisive!!! That's why I was hoping someone here would be like -- ohhhh, I have the perfect shade . . . . Haha!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Is there red in something else that you like? You can take that in and get it color matched. My mom decide she wanted a flamingo pink front door. So she went to home depot with a plastic flamingo in hand, and they matched the color.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
amc80|1335459203|3181472 said:
Is there red in something else that you like? You can take that in and get it color matched. My mom decide she wanted a flamingo pink front door. So she went to home depot with a plastic flamingo in hand, and they matched the color.

Wow! Really!?! How does it look? The pink door. Is it a cottage-y style house?

That's a good idea, though I can't think of anything at the moment. I will look!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Loves Vintage|1335459508|3181476 said:

That's a good idea, though I can't think of anything at the moment. I will look!

It actually looked pretty good. It was sort of a beachy house, they live on the coast. So it worked. I think it would have looked weird had it been a house in the suburbs or something.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC - I posted this in a garden thread last year. Not the best photo, but these bee balm monardas are under the window to the left of the door. They are very prominent, and I expect them to be more so as time passes. So, with this pink, I'm thinking blue undertones. Now, to figure out what that means? I can understand what orange undertones is because orangey-red is easy to figure out, but I'm not getting the blue. :confused:

I will look at some paint colors on-line and will post here. I tried looking at pinterest a few weeks ago, but I don't get that site . . . entirely. Like my searches were showing the same images over and over, so I didn't find so many options.

bee balm.jpg

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
amc80|1335459619|3181479 said:
Loves Vintage|1335459508|3181476 said:

It actually looked pretty good. It was sort of a beachy house, they live on the coast. So it worked. I think it would have looked weird had it been a house in the suburbs or something.

Ahhh, beachy house! That makes sense. I bet it was really cute! ::)

OneCatOneDog

Rough_Rock
I have two suggestions for red paint colors, both of which I've used over and over again, so you have somewhere to start. They would both be brighter than what you have now, more of a true red.

Benjamin Moore - Raspberry Truffle (the front door on our farmhouse is painted this color)
Lowe's American Tradition - LaFonda Geranium Red

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Loves Vintage|1335459784|3181481 said:
MC - I posted this in a garden thread last year. Not the best photo, but these bee balm monardas are under the window to the left of the door. They are very prominent, and I expect them to be more so as time passes. So, with this pink, I'm thinking blue undertones. Now, to figure out what that means? I can understand what orange undertones is because orangey-red is easy to figure out, but I'm not getting the blue. :confused:

I will look at some paint colors on-line and will post here. I tried looking at pinterest a few weeks ago, but I don't get that site . . . entirely. Like my searches were showing the same images over and over, so I didn't find so many options.

Okay, I'm a major OPI fan - having tons of polishes, many of them red, so what I guess the best two ways to describe the red w/blue would be 1) lack of orange and be 2) a cool red tone. An orangy red is a warm shade. A blue red is a cool shade.

At any rate, I did a quick google search for an blue red polish and found this. It's not my photo...hopefully the person doesn't get upset that I took it. :errrr:

bluesforred.jpg

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I do live in an extremely hot climate, and have a south facing door that gets full sun all winter, but is protected from summer sun by the porch overhang. That said, as I recall I used Sherwin Williams high gloss enamel for woodwork. It has been there for over 10 years now, and has barely faded at all and is still quite glossy. And a painting tip I was given that worked quite well, was to thin the paint a bit so as to not leave brushstrokes. I did that and it took two coats but it was and is, gorgeous.

And yes, it is THAT color, of those nails above. I adore it.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
The approach that works best for me is to try a few possibilities. On the door itself, or on a piece of plywood, paint swatches of colors you're considering & see how they look in that location. Often colors will look one way in the store but different in the light & environment where they'll be used. I've found it to be the best way to avoid mistakes. It's kind of fun, too.

--- Laurie

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OneCatOneDog|1335460118|3181488 said:
I have two suggestions for red paint colors, both of which I've used over and over again, so you have somewhere to start. They would both be brighter than what you have now, more of a true red.

Benjamin Moore - Raspberry Truffle (the front door on our farmhouse is painted this color)
Lowe's American Tradition - LaFonda Geranium Red

OneCatOneDog - Thank you so much for your post. When I read Raspberry Truffle is on your farmhouse front door, I immediately wanted it!! I love farmhouses!! I'm thinking a little more RED. Right now, I think mine is more like a brick red. :knockout: I'm actually thinking quite close to the color that MC posted. Is that crazy? The house is a colonial. The door has no windows. I realized that the top of the door was cut off in the photo.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC|1335460785|3181499 said:

Okay, I'm a major OPI fan - having tons of polishes, many of them red, so what I guess the best two ways to describe the red w/blue would be 1) lack of orange and be 2) a cool red tone. An orangy red is a warm shade. A blue red is a cool shade.

At any rate, I did a quick google search for an blue red polish and found this. It's not my photo...hopefully the person doesn't get upset that I took it. :errrr:

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding! This is very close to what I was thinking. There's a door style that I really like, and this is the color on the door of that style (it's a mostly glass door), on a house that I used to walk past all the time. Should have taken pictures then, haha. Anyway, so it's a similar color, but probably less dramatic because of all the glass. Is it crazy?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Loves Vintage|1335462392|3181522 said:
MC|1335460785|3181499 said:

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding! This is very close to what I was thinking. There's a door style that I really like, and this is the color on the door of that style (it's a mostly glass door), on a house that I used to walk past all the time. Should have taken pictures then, haha. Anyway, so it's a similar color, but probably less dramatic because of all the glass. Is it crazy?

I like it! Home Depot sells little itty bitty samples of paint. They are only a few dollars. Maybe buy a few and give it a try!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ksinger|1335461236|3181507 said:
Well, I do live in an extremely hot climate, and have a south facing door that gets full sun all winter, but is protected from summer sun by the porch overhang. That said, as I recall I used Sherwin Williams high gloss enamel for woodwork. It has been there for over 10 years now, and has barely faded at all and is still quite glossy. And a painting tip I was given that worked quite well, was to thin the paint a bit so as to not leave brushstrokes. I did that and it took two coats but it was and is, gorgeous.

Ahh, you could be my inspiration, Ksinger! Tell me, is your door all wood, or are there windows? What do you think of this shade with my house paint? And, for some strange reason, I think my door is metal? Either that or there is a metal kickplate at the bottom where the current paint is peeling. And, I don't even know what to do about that, but I guess the paint people can tell me how much I need to scrape off. Hopefully not the whole door! I am very lazy when it comes to this stuff. Oh, and I guess exterior paints are oil-based, so you used some thinner to thin it?

ETA: DH confirmed. The door is metal. Weird, but I guess, neither here nor there, really. It shouldn't make a difference, right? I think the paint might be peeling from snow and ice exposure?

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1335461947|3181518 said:
The approach that works best for me is to try a few possibilities. On the door itself, or on a piece of plywood, paint swatches of colors you're considering & see how they look in that location. Often colors will look one way in the store but different in the light & environment where they'll be used. I've found it to be the best way to avoid mistakes. It's kind of fun, too.

--- Laurie

Smart and reasonable advice, as always, Laurie! You are right. Paint colors always seem to vary once we get them up on the walls. Since it's the front door, and all natural light (obviously, haha), this makes a lot of sense. Like I already said, I am lazy, also impatient too, but I will try this suggestion as I don't want to paint the whole door and then hate the shade.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
our front door is Van Dyke Red and i love it. rusty/red.

house is "Lone Wolf" a rather gray/blue color that changes with the lighting. love it, too.

eta: a red door with more blue than orange in it such as the nails above would make the front of your home POP. go for it!

mogster

Shiny_Rock
Having just had my house painted, I know what it feels like to agonize over paint colors (I spent the last two weeks doing it). I would go to the store and pick up color chips of the reds you like, take them home and look at them under your lighting conditions, get paint samples of a few and try them out. At worst, it'll be the "wrong" color, but you can always repaint it and paint is not super expensive. What helped me was googling the colors (though hardly accurate because of different lighting and camera/monitor settings) and seeing them in context, relative to other colors.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love's me a red front door.

There is just something special about it.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
We were just in England and saw a few nice ones. I actually took a picture of one for my MIL because she is also in the process of decided what shade of red to use on her door.

red door.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
:wavey: This is my FAVOURITE thing - colour selection!!!

Do you get Farrow and Ball paints where you are located (from England)? If yes, Blazer #212 is a bright red, no orange undertone, no brown, just a bright red. A slightly deeper, somewhat plummy/raspberry red is Rectory Red #217. Both come as exterior oil based paints and you can get them in gloss as well. Pricey, but well worth it - they wear for years without fading.

If Benjamin Moore is your preference, the most popular red I've always had good feedback on, is Rapture CC66. Quite close on my monitor to the OPI nailpolish. Get it in the high gloss if you want to really intensify the colour. The only thing w BM paints, is with their reds, you often need SEVERAL coats. Even if your door is already red, I'd still suggest a tinted primer and then painting with the final colour (prob 2 - 3 coats for good coverage and true colour saturation)

You can get them in the pint cans - you don't need to buy the gallons.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
LV, I don't have suggestions for you but I love red doors! I like the current color but it does look more like brick red than a brighter shade. I can't wait to see what you decide.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
my SIL has a red door and I love it!!! Post pics of your door please!

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
I love a red front door. Mine is a red multi pane front door that's shiny red. It really reminds me of English telephone booths. Makes me happy every time I see it. I have a black metal security door that I really want to paint a funky color too, with bits of green, turquoise and red. I saw a picture of door in France that was like that. I haven't been brave enough to tackle that yet.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
makemepretty|1335479732|3181808 said:
I love a red front door. Mine is a red multi pane front door that's shiny red. It really reminds me of English telephone booths. Makes me happy every time I see it. I have a black metal security door that I really want to paint a funky color too, with bits of green, turquoise and red. I saw a picture of door in France that was like that. I haven't been brave enough to tackle that yet.

Ooooo paint it blue and then you can have your own Dr. Who Tardis! And you could wear a fez.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love red front doors, too! My parents have a blue colonial style house with a bright red front door and it looks very nice. I don't think it's too much at all. It really pops!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loves Vintage|1335462724|3181528 said:
ksinger|1335461236|3181507 said:

Ahh, you could be my inspiration, Ksinger! Tell me, is your door all wood, or are there windows? What do you think of this shade with my house paint? And, for some strange reason, I think my door is metal? Either that or there is a metal kickplate at the bottom where the current paint is peeling. And, I don't even know what to do about that, but I guess the paint people can tell me how much I need to scrape off. Hopefully not the whole door! I am very lazy when it comes to this stuff. Oh, and I guess exterior paints are oil-based, so you used some thinner to thin it?

ETA: DH confirmed. The door is metal. Weird, but I guess, neither here nor there, really. It shouldn't make a difference, right? I think the paint might be peeling from snow and ice exposure?

Well, you just got lucky (maybe). I actually found my old Sherwin William swatch if you can imagine. Of course they don't make that formulation anymore, but I bet they still have it just with a different name. It was called Exterior Base - Exterior Accents. I got a quart of it. I don't know if they do that anymore.... This formulation sounds like close enough as to not matter:
http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/products/catalog/all-surface-enamel-latex-base/?referringCategory=exterior-paint-coatings/paint/

The color was from 2001 and was called Pompeii Red, SW 2911. It is a true red - not orange, not blue, not light, not dark. Dead square in the middle of RED. If you tell them the color they may be able to formulate it for you, even now. Or have an old swatch? It's worth a shot.

No, not all outdoor paints are oil-based. Mine was not, so water was the thinner. I have this door:
http://www.thermatru.com/products/entry/fiberglass-entry-doors/fc/index.aspx#/dso:door-6_panel-fc60/go:ng/
by Therma-Tru. It is fiberglass, no windows, but has a surface that looks like wood, and can either be stained like wood, or painted. Obviously, mine is painted, and it looks exactly like a painted real wood door. I had to primer it first though.

Wish I could show you the color, but I couldn't find a pic of my front door. :(

I think your house would look fab with a red door. One that really pops. It's kinda scary to do that - pick a really screaming red, but when you do? I bet you'll love it. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results