shape
carat
color
clarity

UK Buyer in Canada - where to buy

Mintishclown

Rough_Rock
Greetings PS!!

I've been rummaging around the forums for a couple of weeks now and think I know what questions I need to ask.

I am from the UK, but currently living and working near Toronto, Canada and am reviewing my diamond-buying options.

I am planning to propose to my long term girlfriend over the next few months and have a reasonable idea of what sort of ring she would like, but I am starting to think that it would be better to choose/design the ring together, though I do still want the classic one knee surprise. One idea I have had is to propose with a diamond bought here, in the US or online and then see a jeweller in the uk for a custom setting.

We both like classical styles, so I'm probably looking at a platinum solitaire

My budget is around £3000 GBP including the setting and my 4 Cs priorities are

1 cut - the best possible. After all it's all about the sparkle right?!
2 carats
3= colour
3= clarity

I am also very keen on getting as close as possible to a guarantee of a conflict-free stone, whether that means buying canadian or using a retailer like Wink Jones I'm not really sure.

I guess my options are as follows:

1 - buy a diamond online (deliver to uk) and get it set there

2 - buy a diamond from a bricks and mortar retailer here in Canada (or across the border in the US) take it back (pay the VAT) and set it as above

3 - buy online (or from a b&m) complete with setting

Does anyone have any similar experiences of these options or any recommendations for specific retailers in any of the locations.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :D

Mintishclown

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results