shape
carat
color
clarity

Super small wedding suggestions needed please!

Phdecorate

Shiny_Rock
Ok so SO is getting ready to pick the diamond, he has agreed to the VC halo (I emailed for a quote today!) and last night he announced he thinks we should get married THIS FALL! We had been talking about getting married this year, but I was not sure that would happen but I am definitely ready. We have lived together almost four years and bought a house together a little over 2 yrs ago. We have both been married before so a big wedding is not on our wish list. He would like to go away to get married just the two of us. I would like to have my parents there, my mom would be devastated not to be there. SO understands and is open to sharing it with them. (his parents are gone) my dad is older and can't really travel far, so a true destination wedding is not a poss.

We live at the beach so that is of course a poss, but I wonder about the weather, fall is iffy. So I am trying to come up with some ideas. I don't want it to be very fancy but I want it to be special. For reference, my first wedding was at a bed and breakfast. It was an old mansion. 90 people. Vera Wang wedding dress. College chapel wedding ceremony. I don't want it to be the same type of thing per se, but I loved that type of setting. I definitely don't want the court house, it is not special like the San Fran one that Audball is considering! =)

Then I am trying to figure out, a wedding with 4 people turns into.....a dinner for four people?? I am not really sure that I want a bunch of other people to come to a dinner/party, but I am trying to visualize the flow for the day......wedding outside followed by lunch or dinner at a restaurant in wedding attire? Catered at home by a local chef? Rent a super small venue and just enjoy it for four people? arrange to have it earlier in the day and leave for the honeymoon that night? Go to a B&B that my dad can travel to and have it there?

SO is pretty open I think. Right now I am day dreaming and need some suggestions, thought starter questions, opinions, etc.....whatever!! Just trying to come up with some possibilities!

Please give me your thoughts/ideas! Thanks!

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
I think, if it were me, I'd maybe look into a B&B that could do it all- don't know which beach you live on, so this might be on the opposite end of the world for you, but something like this one: http://www.redfox.com that has accomodations, a lovely small ceremony space, and a top notch restaraunt/private dining experience. Then the day could flow easily- no transportation needed in between events- you have private space to get ready during the day leading up to the ceremony on site, very little need for any outside decorations, things to do for the weekend if you or your parents decide to make a vacation out of it, an international airport close by...

Congratulations!

Phdecorate

Shiny_Rock
Wow, without giving too much info, that is actually a reasonable distance for me :D I think something like this might be a great idea. Thanks!

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
I am biased about this place in particular- I waited tables there while in grad school and met my now FI (well, again- we went to middle and high school together!) out on the patio at a live music thing. We're also going small, 35 people, for our wedding and looked into having it there, but...it's not the cheapest place around and it was out of our budget.

Other than that, though, I really do recommend it when I can- the place is gorgeous and the food incredible.

If that is a reasonable distance for you, check out the area in general- LOTS of vineyards and BandB's that specialize in small weddings!

Phdecorate

Shiny_Rock
When is your wedding? Inside or out?

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
May (4 weeks and 5 days- not that I am counting!)- outside. We're doing it at my parents house; we're DIY people so we decided to put our small budget to good use and create some lasting improvements to my parent's yard (they have 12 acres, mostly wooded) by sprucing up a grove of trees and the meadow out back and actually planting a wildflower meadow and putting down some sod and things like that. This rain lately is making my little seeds very happy, which makes me very happy!

Phdecorate

Shiny_Rock
Sounds lovely, I love wildflower fields!

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think 4 people is awkward at all. I wish we could have done it that way but if we were doing it with just his folks then we wanted to have his siblings there as well. We are an international couple and most of my friends/family couldn't travel no matter what-so we did a very small wedding with only 18 guests (and that was more than I wanted but it ended up being a good number) and some people thought it would be to small but it wasn't. We got to chat with everyone and everyone could chat with eachother and get to know the other guests that way.

There are a ton of really cute B&B that I would contact to see if they have someone they know how can cater (or they can cook) a dinner for you and have a small wedding there. Then you can enjoy your time together and they'll do the decor and just get a photographer. There isn't anything wrong with only having 1 guest or having 500 guests-I personally would take the 1 guest over 500 any day of the week. But I hate being the center of attention and don't like big to do's.

Can't wait to hear what you decide!

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
I second the B&B idea. We had a small, casual wedding (about 15 people) at a B&B. It was very low-stress and laid back. We got married in a little garden area outside the B&B, took everyone to dinner at a restaurant (just regular reservations - no catering or special menus necessary), and then came back to the B&B for cake and beer/wine. It was the perfect weekend for us - we just didn't want the high cost, stress, and frills of a big wedding. We got married last September and didn't start planning until about this time last year. So a small fall wedding is definitely doable. :)

Phdecorate

Shiny_Rock
I agree, a very small wedding can be refreshingly intimate. My first wedding was about 90 people, although it was at a beautiful B&B as well. I think the B&B might work, or maybe a historic hotel, there are a few converted to restaurants around here. somewhere with a beautiful garden might be nice though, especially for such a small group. Another thought is on the beach, we live at but not on the actual beach....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results