shape
carat
color
clarity

Input requested on CAD renderings--PLEASE HELP!

pecanpie21

Rough_Rock
Hi guys, first time poster here. I'm wondering if you all can lend me your expert advice (or not so expert, all is welcome :) ) on the CAD renderings my boyfriend and I have been working on with our jeweler. I'm wondering specifically about the dimensions mainly, because I don't want the ring to be too frail nor too clunky. It seems to me like the halo is pretty big and that the shank is pretty thin but I'm not sure because I have literally no experience with this.

The center diamond is a cushion and is about 6.4 x 5.5mm. My ring size is 5.75. Does the shank seem too skinny/frail? The diamonds on the split shank section are each .005 ct and I'd like for the diamonds to be bigger but I think it might close up the shank all together if they get much bigger..

Any and all input would be highly appreciated!

1_61.jpg

2_50.jpg

3_40.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

pecanpie21

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply! I've heard that rings shouldn't go less than 2mm thick at all because they begin to be prone to bending, is that true? I completely agree with you about the shank being more curved--thanks for that!! I do generally like the picture you showed that mine would look like...it seems a little boring though. Any other advice on how to make it prettier? Maybe the bordered edge on my CAD is too thick?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
pecanpie21|1334106918|3168056 said:
Thanks for the reply! I've heard that rings shouldn't go less than 2mm thick at all because they begin to be prone to bending, is that true? I completely agree with you about the shank being more curved--thanks for that!! I do generally like the picture you showed that mine would look like...it seems a little boring though. Any other advice on how to make it prettier? Maybe the bordered edge on my CAD is too thick?

The space ship profile of the halo can be altered with a 20-25% tilt, picture below to illustrate. I would add wires in the under gallery, all that space could be used for some pretty petal like wires to add interest to the view you will see most often. Also it will provide much needed support for the head of that halo and make your ring stronger.

Split shanks can go slimmer than 2 as there are two of them, and really, should for the aesthetics of them.

You can add some milgrain to the bordered edge at the outside of the halo. Super duper FINE milgrain will make it less "metally"... but you have to make sure they can do super fine work, if it's not done by hand, as a finishing detail (don't add it to the CAD or the cast in other words and insist on the finest smallest gauge they can do) it will make the setting really look finished.

Halo Tilt.jpg

pecanpie21

Rough_Rock
Thanks a lot again! I'm definitely going to ask for the halo to be tilted. About milgrain, I decided a while back that I don't like the look of milgrain, plus I don't know if I trust that it would come out perfectly. Do you think .005 ctw diamonds are too ridiculously small to be on the split shank?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
pecanpie21|1334120662|3168217 said:
Thanks a lot again! I'm definitely going to ask for the halo to be tilted. About milgrain, I decided a while back that I don't like the look of milgrain, plus I don't know if I trust that it would come out perfectly. Do you think .005 ctw diamonds are too ridiculously small to be on the split shank?
No, that's what I have in my halo. Why?

Mike R

Shiny_Rock
pecanpie21|1334105727|3168035 said:
Hi guys, first time poster here. I'm wondering if you all can lend me your expert advice (or not so expert, all is welcome :) ) on the CAD renderings my boyfriend and I have been working on with our jeweler. I'm wondering specifically about the dimensions mainly, because I don't want the ring to be too frail nor too clunky. It seems to me like the halo is pretty big and that the shank is pretty thin but I'm not sure because I have literally no experience with this.

The center diamond is a cushion and is about 6.4 x 5.5mm. My ring size is 5.75. Does the shank seem too skinny/frail? The diamonds on the split shank section are each .005 ct and I'd like for the diamonds to be bigger but I think it might close up the shank all together if they get much bigger..

Any and all input would be highly appreciated!

1_61.jpg

2_50.jpg

3_40.jpg

Hi, you said the halo looks big and the band looks thin, if you would like the halo to look smaller you could do away with the inner bright cut (frame of metal) if you look at the picture Gypsy posted the small diamonds in the halo almost tuck under the larger center diamond, in your cads you have a bright cut strip of metal. By removing the inner bright cut, and bringing the halo in a little, you will get a finer look with less metal that will dull down over time.

I personally would also change where the tops of the split shank join to the halo, (look at the first four green cad images, bottom left) in the cad there is a large over hang on the halo, I prefer it when the band comes out flush with the bottom of the halo.
The metal under the over hang will be difficult for the jeweler to polish and will always be in a shadow from the halo so it will look dark and dirty, also In the bottom right green cad you can see because of this over hang they haven't put diamonds all the way to the top of the band. (this always looks weird to me personally) I would also add fine wire struts like Gypsy suggested.

Finally is it just me or does the bright cut on the inside of the split in the band look thicker than that on the outside of the halo? If I was drawing this I would have drawn it slightly thinner if anything because it's slightly further back (perspective should make it look finer)

One question for you, what do you want to see when you look through the split in the band? Do you want to see your finger or metal, make sure you get what you want, from the cads you can't really tell what option your getting.

:wavey:

pecanpie21

Rough_Rock
Thanks soo much for the input! I'm definitely taking this info into consideration as I tweak the ring. It's been very helpful. I definitely would want to see some finger through the split..my diamonds not huge huge (1 ct elongated cushion) so I'm not sure how possible this is in the first place. I ideally want the shank to look like this and have a similar bright cut on the halo, what do you guys think?

ShankPhoto.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
pecanpie21|1334610472|3172686 said:
Thanks soo much for the input! I'm definitely taking this info into consideration as I tweak the ring. It's been very helpful. I definitely would want to see some finger through the split..my diamonds not huge huge (1 ct elongated cushion) so I'm not sure how possible this is in the first place. I ideally want the shank to look like this and have a similar bright cut on the halo, what do you guys think?

ShankPhoto.jpg
Yes. I LOVE this. Perfect choice. I agree that this is a great goal for the shank curve.

pecanpie21

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I'm excited. My jeweler has said that my 1 ct cushion isn't big enough to have as dramatic a split as in that photo though.. so we'll see how it goes. In the meantime, you mentioned having a halo ring with .005 ct melee. Do you have a photo you could share by chance? Thanks!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
pecanpie21|1334808902|3174837 said:
Thanks! I'm excited. My jeweler has said that my 1 ct cushion isn't big enough to have as dramatic a split as in that photo though.. so we'll see how it goes. In the meantime, you mentioned having a halo ring with .005 ct melee. Do you have a photo you could share by chance? Thanks!

Sure. But my pave style is different from yours. Mine isn't bright cut. My wedding band is 1 pointers so you can see the difference.

Layla%20Steven%20Reset_1.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results