shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Help need Proposal Ideas in Wine Country

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tismtm2

Rough_Rock
Hi All - Need help with some proposal idea''s. Taking my girlfiend to Napa Valley CA (wine country) for a vacation and plan on popping the question. Also, I think she is expecting it! but still want to surprise her. Thanks

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
The ULTIMATE would be if you could get a reservation at French Laundry. (Good luck! I've never even been able to get through, but if you can get in then I'm sure it will be an unforgettable meal!).

Since I'm a foodie, when I think of Napa I think immediately of the great restaurants there. La Travigne is also a fabulous restaurant.

The Opus One winery is pretty cool. They have cool visitor's area. The Mondavi winery is very commercial. I thought it was a little blah because you feel like you're at Disneyland for wine.

Just taking a walk in that area is so romantic. I'm sure there are a lot of great bed and breakfasts too.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Sumi gave you some good ideas. IF you get into the French Laundry, expect a $$$$$$$$$$ bill (just a warning). It's very pricy, but supposed to be absolutely top notch. (I don't plan ahead enough to get in there). One of my all time favorite restaurants is Tra Vigne. They have a lovely out door area and the food is great.

To add to her ideas, we love S. Anderson winery (champagne), and others off of Silverado trail. S. Andersen has some a beautiful courtyard and rose garden. You might be able to arrange a bottle of champagne to be served to you out there. Domain Chandon also has a nice patio and great restaurant. The smallest, most boutique places require appointments, so plan ahead. Hwy 29 is crowded and very touristy. We try to stay on Silverado Trail as much as possible. It is fun bike riding if you are into that. If you can get over to some of the neighboring Valleys, it gets quieter. Alexander Valley is beautiful as is Sonoma. You end up doing more driving there to get to places as they are more spread out. The Russion River / Healdsberg area is probably my favorite. The wineries all have spectactular gardens, many of which would be wonderful places to take a bottle of wine or champagne, some cheese and crackers and have a romantic, private moment. You might want to stop at Oakville Groceries (delicious deli and picnic type of items) in Healdsberg and stock up for an impromptu picnic at a beautiful spot that you find.

Napa also has hot air balloon rides over the valley early in the am, if that appeals to you.

There are lots of beautiful places, great wine, great food, and some other things to do. It depends on what appeals to the two of you.

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
First try www.napavalley.com - this is a great site with links to dozens of B&B's in the area.

What time of year are you going? My reccomendations would vary depending on the time of season. Although I must say that the best time of year is late sept/oct, as the crowds are way down, and the weather is beautiful still warm and sunny. Also this is about when most of the harvesting is going. I find that this gives the best 'romantic' feel to the region.

Some great wineries to visit are Trefethen (first winery as you enter the valley), Opus (very pricey tastings @$25 per person per taste, but beautiful scenery), Merryvale, Sterling Vineyards (you ride a tram up the hill to tasting rooms), and for Champagne (or sparkling wine since we are not in France) Domaine Carneros by Taittinger or Domaine Chandon. They are all listed at the website above with links to their home pages.

Another favorite is V. Sattui Winery- they have great picninc grounds, with a shop where you can purchase all of the fixings for your picnic- cheeses, meats, bread, beverages other than wine, and their own wine, which you cannot buy anywhere else.

Restaurants are all great, French Laundry is excellent but expensive and hard to get into. IF you gave me a food preference and fanciness level you are looking for, I could probably narrow it down to a few. I will warn you ahead of time, that a day of wine tasting can wear you out, although you will probably both have enough adrenaline from the big moment to keep you going!

I live in the Bay Area, and go up to the valleys (Napa and Sonoma) quite often, so would be glad to help any more if you need further information.

rosebud

Rough_Rock
There are hot springs and spas north of Calistoga. If she's into massages and soaks, this could be a nice route.

Sterling winery has some great views of the valley, but I hear that it can be quite crowded on the weekends. I went with my girlfriend on a weekday and it wasn't busy at all.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 7/13/2004 7:47:50 PM rosebud wrote:

There are hot springs and spas north of Calistoga. If she's into massages and soaks, this could be a nice route.

Sterling winery has some great views of the valley, but I hear that it can be quite crowded on the weekends. I went with my girlfriend on a weekday and it wasn't busy at all.

----------------

Good point. Calistoga is a cute town, and famous for their mud baths. maybe you could fingure some pampering into the picture:).

tismtm2

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all your great idea's. I'll be arriving on Monday July 19 and staying for the week.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results