shape
carat
color
clarity

Intergem

familynurse

Rough_Rock
I will be in White Plains, NY while the Intergem show is taking place. Has anyone been to this one ? I looked at the website and the show appears a little overwhelming. If I go, are there any vendors that any of you have used? Is there a vendor that is a "must see" ? I would like to "see" some gems in person - so that I have a better idea of what to look for online. Any help or comments appreciated.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
I just went to my first intergem and it was sort of fantasic and overwhelming at the same time. Prima gems is a dealer others here have used and I thought they had a good selection, although I didn't buy any loose gems. I did buy some earrings from Andrew Sarosi that were already set which I love. Sarosi has mostly set pieces. The selection can get overwhelming: set jewelry, antique jewelry, loose stones, and settings. If you can go the first day and leave time for going back that might be best. I met up with some PSers so that was also fun. I guess the one other thing is if you do want to buy have a sense of certificates and treatments. I saw some lovely emeralds but was nervous since I know they can be heavily treated and I don't know which lab is best.

Overall I had a blast. Bought something unexpected and have a much better sense of what I like. Oh and you probably want to discuss return policies or the ability to view natural gems in daylight outside at least. And if you have a loupe bring it! That and te antique pieces were amazing!!! Wow some serious NYC dealers. You could spend $100 or $50,000.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vancegems is another good vendor I frequent when I go there.

Stay away from B&B, he's a crook.

VAgemguy

Rough_Rock
I went to my first Intergem show recently as well. It was a lot of fun and only a little bit overwhelming! I bought a couple of things, but spent most of the time just browsing and coveting (the gemstones). +1 on the Prima Gems recommendation. They have good material, are very knowledgeable/friendly, and are reasonably priced. They specialize in east African gemstones such as tanzanite, spess, tsavorite, spinel, etc., so if you are looking for a vast selection of other stones, other vendors may offer more choices.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I'm afraid Prima won't be at White Plains, but I also like Bill Vance and recommend with reservation FGS. Since White Plains is local to you, it might be worth visiting Prima at their new location on 48th Street - I far prefer their office to the Intergem setup.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1331922295|3150127 said:

On the West Coast, we don't have Vance or Prima :(( , but I think we have B&B, go figure! TL, would you be willing to elaborate? I think that I have looked at his stones at past shows...

TIA

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1331960032|3150619 said:
TL|1331922295|3150127 said:

On the West Coast, we don't have Vance or Prima :(( , but I think we have B&B, go figure! TL, would you be willing to elaborate? I think that I have looked at his stones at past shows...

TIA

I bought an emerald ring from him, and his setter (at Intergem) damaged the stone. I knew that he noticed it because he and his partner kept staring at it and looked concerned, but I couldn't figure out why, but they just sold it to me hoping I wouldn't notice. I found the damage later that day, brought it back the next day and he blamed the damage on me, while it was pretty obvious it was caused by a prong damaging the stone as it was in that corner. He refused to give me a full refund, and kept $800 for himself, because he would have to recut the stone. He was a total jerk about it, and I know I didn't damage the stone because I hardly wore it as I discovered the damage the minute I got home. I now know why he and his partner stared at it so concerned looking but when I asked them why, they brushed it off.

Another important lesson - NEVER EVER EVER let anyone at intergem set your stones. When I removed many learning stones from settings, which were all set at Intergem, I found tons of damage under the prongs on several of them.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for that information. I'm sorry for your experience with them. I also appreciate your advice on not getting a ring set there. I made that mistake and while I don't believe the vendor damaged the stone, they were in such a rush, that they did a bad job resizing the setting and left marks on it :nono:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1332015909|3150954 said:
Thank you for that information. I'm sorry for your experience with them. I also appreciate your advice on not getting a ring set there. I made that mistake and while I don't believe the vendor damaged the stone, they were in such a rush, that they did a bad job resizing the setting and left marks on it :nono:

So sorry about your resizing issues. The problem with intergem jewelers is that they're in a big rush to get jobs done. I don't think any jeweler should be "pushed" to finish a setting/resizing job quickly. A lot of the bench people also don't know how to properly set stones, because I've had stones set crooked, the prongs were horrid, and it was just awful At least they only ruined some ugly learning gems, and not something valuable.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL: I just looked at the Intergem list of exhibitors and there are two on the list that could be the one with whom you had the bad setting experience: B&B Pearl, Inc. and B and B Fine Gems. Do you remember which one it was?

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
MB, it's been years since I've had anything set at Intergem, so I can't fully recall who the two I used were, but I can tell you that I would strongly echo the advice not to get gems set there.

I've also had stones set crooked, not seated properly, horrendous prong work, etc. I figured the first time it was a fluke, but after the second time, I got the clue pretty quickly.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1332046653|3151203 said:
TL: I just looked at the Intergem list of exhibitors and there are two on the list that could be the one with whom you had the bad setting experience: B&B Pearl, Inc. and B and B Fine Gems. Do you remember which one it was?

B&B Fine Gems, but perhaps he owns B&B Pearl too. The owner, a man, wears a head piece, and is often at the shows.

familynurse

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

Thank you for all the great advice!

Winternight, I have a friend with loupe that I can borrow. Would not of thought of taking one . Thanks

TL, I really appreciate your comments. I will certainly look for Vancegems and avoid the other one.

VAgemguy, I am sure that I also will do a LOT of browsing and coveting. I am imagine I will be very overwhelmed!

Cellenteni, Thanks for the information about Prima. Since I am visiting my son and his wife in White Plains, I don't know if I will have time to visit Prima in NYC. Do you have a more complete address for them? Maybe I could guide the group that way of we are in the area. :Up_to_something: Bill Vance has been added to my list of venders.

Minousbijoux, aljdewey and TL, Husband had suggested I see if anyone could set some of my gems at the show, so I am very glad that you let me know not to do so. I would have been very upset if my gems were damaged or not set properly.

I am really looking forward to attending the show.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results