shape
carat
color
clarity

Strange food combinations

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
What's the strangest food combination you have tried?
I saw chocolate covered bacon on Etsy and if it wasn't for my diet I'd be tempted to try it.
I think the strangest combo I tried was a dish in India. It was like a vanilla ice cream with spaghetti in it, actually quite delish!
There was a vendor on Etsy last year that made caramels in unusual combinations, salted pear & tarragon, orange & cardamom, salted lavender and double bergamot tea.
They were to die for! When they arrived my SO and I casually popped one in our mouths as we walked home from the post office (I'm not good at waiting to open things :oops: ) and we both stopped in out tracks, spouting OMG these are insanely good!
We were going to have her make them for our wedding favors, but *poof*, no longer in business ;(

What has everyone tried that was bad/good?

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Chips (french fries) and maple syrup.

My fav combo is cheese and marmalade on toast. YUM.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE chocolate digestive biscuits with gorgonzola...

Oh, and Zotter Chocolate bars - they have 70 flavours including ones with fish. DH and I are working our way through the flavours and haven't found one we don't like so far.

Btw, bacon and chocolate is :lickout:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I LOVE, pickles with ketchup on them :oops: I will plate a few pickles and pour ketchup on them. My DH is totally embarrassed by it!

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Pandora|1330023312|3132581 said:
I LOVE chocolate digestive biscuits with gorgonzola...

Oh, and Zotter Chocolate bars - they have 70 flavours including ones with fish. DH and I are working our way through the flavours and haven't found one we don't like so far.

Btw, bacon and chocolate is :lickout:

Thanks Pandora, just exactly what I needed. New chocolate to try... ;))

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
Porridge - that's a definite first, I'd have never thought to try that. I have maple syrup in the fridge that's gone unused...maybe I should give it a try.

Pandora - Chocolate digestives and cheese I have got to try! I love both :lickout:
Fish chocolate bars?! wow, that's a new one, was it tasty?

Amy's bling - ketchup is it's own food group, everything tastes better with ketchup! We have a new organic one at home and it's like no other ketchup, I'll have to look at the brand name when I get home and share it with you ;))

My SO puts fresh ground coffee in the chilli he makes, I turned my nose up at the thought but it really makes chilli taste amazing - who'd have thought?!
A client made me carrot cake once as told me it had a can of tomato soup in it. I wish she hadn't told me, I kept tasting it and could really taste the soup, my taste buds kept saying "this is SO wrong" :knockout:

amc80

Ideal_Rock
When I was little my favorite food was a cheese and ketchup sandwich. Yuck!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trader Joe's sells chocolate-covered potato chips.

I have not yet tried them.
I want to but can't bring myself to buy them.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Amys Bling|1330025235|3132604 said:
I LOVE, pickles with ketchup on them :oops: I will plate a few pickles and pour ketchup on them. My DH is totally embarrassed by it!
:bigsmile: :errrr: :lol: :D

Okay, this is hilarious. You win.

(I love pickles, but . . . not with ketchup.)

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tuna pizza

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm sure I eat a lot of strange combos, but they all seem delish to me so I can't identify them.

We had sea salt ice cream at Murphy's in Dingle, Ireland. That sounded strange but tasted amazing.

I like to dip tortilla chips in ranch dressing.

I drink milk with nearly everything. That always grosses out my husband.

ETA:
SO I just asked DH if I eat any strange food combinations.
He looked at my plate, then at me, and said, "Seriously?"
I'm eating lunch: A pickle, a piece of string cheese, and half an egg salad sandwich. And drinking milk.
This is strange?

He says it's the pickle and the milk that does it. He's so weird.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Pickles & milk? What's wrong with that? Sounds good to me. But i can't stand a glass of milk with eggs, almost makes me nauseous. Weird.

This isn't a combination really, but my fave lunch when I was little was a brown sugar sandwich -- just bread, butter, & brown sugar. MMMMMMM. I also put mayo on my hamburgers instead of ketchup.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
My sister loves dipping her fries from Wendy's in a chocolate frosty. I thought it was the most vile thing I had heard of until I tried it. I can't say it's the worst thing I've ever had.

When I was younger my mom used to make us cream cheese and jelly sandwiches. I can't even imagine liking that at one time. It grosses me out to even think about it now. :knockout:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gouda cheese with Nutella or a nice cheddar with dark chocolate. Sooo good.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak--Thank you! Pickles and milk = nomnomnom.

Zoe--I LOVE mixing jelly and cream cheese on my bagels. I don't do it often, but it's a yummy treat. A former colleague of mine used to do the same thing. My dad dips his fries in a milkshake, too. It's not my thing, but I don't think it's terrible.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zoe|1330032084|3132684 said:
My sister loves dipping her fries from Wendy's in a chocolate frosty. I thought it was the most vile thing I had heard of until I tried it. I can't say it's the worst thing I've ever had.

When I was younger my mom used to make us cream cheese and jelly sandwiches. I can't even imagine liking that at one time. It grosses me out to even think about it now. :knockout:

I loved cream cheese and jelly sandwiches when I was a kid. I also liked to put jelly in my cottage cheese.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Haven|1330032643|3132693 said:
Zoe--I LOVE mixing jelly and cream cheese on my bagels.

Ditto! But seems weird on normal bread...

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I really love eating toasted bread with mayo on it and pickles. Nothing else except for those 3 ingredients...it's pure perfection. :lickout:

DH LOVES jelly with cream cheese. He says there is no other way to eat cream cheese.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Haven|1330030881|3132672 said:
I'm sure I eat a lot of strange combos, but they all seem delish to me so I can't identify them.

We had sea salt ice cream at Murphy's in Dingle, Ireland. That sounded strange but tasted amazing.

I like to dip tortilla chips in ranch dressing.

I drink milk with nearly everything. That always grosses out my husband.

ETA:
SO I just asked DH if I eat any strange food combinations.
He looked at my plate, then at me, and said, "Seriously?"
I'm eating lunch: A pickle, a piece of string cheese, and half an egg salad sandwich. And drinking milk.
This is strange?

He says it's the pickle and the milk that does it. He's so weird.

My husband drinks milk with everything too! Blows my mind every time.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
amc80|1330028646|3132644 said:
sounds good to me! I used to eat ketchup bread lol! Anything with pickles and or ketchup on it is a winner in my book!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
amc80|1330032759|3132696 said:
Haven|1330032643|3132693 said:
Zoe--I LOVE mixing jelly and cream cheese on my bagels.

Ditto! But seems weird on normal bread...

I think that's it. I can kind of see it on a bagel but on regular bread, it seems so strange to me.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Rather than a glass cold milk, my younger sister HAS to chase anything sweet - cakes, cookies, pies, etc., with a glass of orange juice! I don't get it! Orange juice always tastes so sour to me after I've eaten something sweet, but she can't have one without the other!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
My MIL used to make grapefruit jello with cream cheese on top. :knockout:

For some reason, people freak out when I dip my potato chips in coke. The chips need a big puffy air bubble, poke a hole in the bubble, dip it, the bubble fills with coke! Delish!

I also eat macaroni with ketchup.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pickles and macaroni with Ketchup win. IMO.

With Athenaworth's sandwich with mayo and pickles right up there.

I eat a lot of weird combos and enjoy them. But those I wouldn't be able to stomach.

Haven, LOL at your DH. Pickles and milk SOUND weird, but I think I've had them too, now that I think about it.

As for orange juice and sweets. I prefer milk, but if there is no milk OJ is my second choice. It's the contrast, and the acid cuts the sweet in a way the milk can't. Milk makes me feel like I've overindulged sometimes. OJ is cleaner.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven said:
Amys Bling|1330025235|3132604 said:
:bigsmile: :errrr: :lol: :D

Okay, this is hilarious. You win.

(I love pickles, but . . . not with ketchup.)
haha- I also slice tomatoes on a plate and pour ketchup on them..

Think about it- your tomatoes an pickles on your burger have ketchup on them :)

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Butter, onion and sugar sandwiches. A kid I went to elementary school ate these everyday and I got up the courage to taste it one time...and one time only! Ewww!! The sugar and butter on their own would have been fine, but the onions just did me in!

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure this is actually common, but when I told my friends about it, they seemed to think it was strange.

There's a restaurant in Chinatown (in Montreal), that makes this dish called an "All dressed pork chops"

Basically it's a deep fried pork chop, served with an egg cooked over easy, and fried rice. I've been completely obsessed with this meal for the last five years. It's a cholesterol, artery clogging feast but I don't care! It has always been my reward meal, during medical school after every exam (About every 6 weeks) I would get to eat this.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
This thread is making me feel simultaneously eeked out and hungry. Hmmm . . .

I feel so much better about my milk habit. DH can't stomach it when I drink milk with pizza, so that's the one time I just drink water, instead. Otherwise, he deals with it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lots of food combos I cannot wait to try now. Thanks for all the ideas ladies! :lickout:

One dish my mom used to make us when we were little was spaghetti and cottage cheese with sugar on top...I loved it! So good. But now I don't really like cottage cheese so haven't had that dish for well over 25 years.

My dh's secret ingredient to his chili is peanut butter. Really delicious.

My mom adds Coca Cola to skirt steak marinade. Everyone seems to go crazy over it. I've never tried it though as I don't eat meat but people go on and on about her delicious sauce.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
amc80|1330028646|3132644 said:

Yanno, I could be wrong but I think we had this too. I think it was American cheese with ketchup. Yuck is right as it does sound pretty gross now!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results