shape
carat
color
clarity

Value for Price

dwhuser

Rough_Rock
I got my new earrings and wanted to see if they are price worthy and good stones according to PSer's?

Here are the specs from IGI-

Stone 1

Measurment - 6.41 - 6.45 x 4.05mm
Weight - 1.04 Carats
Depth - 63.0%
Table - 59%
Girdle - Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted
Culet - None
Color - Near Colorless (I)
Clarity - VS(2)
Fluorescence - None
Polish/Symmetry - Very good/Very Good

Stone 2

Measurment - 6.40 - 6.43 x 4.02mm
Weight - 1.04 Carats
Depth - 62.6%
Table - 58%
Girdle - Slightly Thick, Faceted
Culet - None
Color - Near Colorless (I)
Clarity - VS(2)
Fluorescence - None
Polish/Symmetry - Very good/Good

Please suggest if they are worth 10K?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hope2Help|1322702912|3071924 said:
I took your specs and put them into the search engine of bluenile.com and they have a similiar diamond selling for $9,196. Here's the link:

http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-ideal-cut-i-color-vs2-clarity_LD02325138

Actually, this is not comparing apples to apples because that Bluenile diamond is was graded by GIA, not IGI which is a much reputable lab.
IGI grades are seen as overly optimistic.
The industry knows this and is why they price IGI-graded diamonds lower.
A stone that IGI graded I VS2 may get grades of K SI2, or worse, from GIA.
Since the seller actually paid more he/she did not get a good deal.

That color and clarity grades are not consistently standardized by all labs is an outrage, and I wish the government would investigate and put an end to this outrageous practice.
It gives the industry a bad name and makes customers angry, at least the few who learn the truth.
I consider it to be as unethical as lying about the carat weight.

To further evaluate the cut, can you post the crown and pavilion angles (in degrees) from the grading reports?
They will probably be something around 35 degrees and 41 degrees.

I'm afraid that depths of 63 and 62.6% are quite deep for rounds and means the light performance will not be optimum.
Being 1.04 ct, they were cut deep to retain weight so they would make it over the magic 1.0 carat mark, which brings them much more profit.
If they were cut down more to have better light performance they would certainly have fallen below the profitable 1-carat milestone.

I'm sorry to bear this bad news, but it is always best to check here before the purchase.
Is it possible to return them for a refund?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Correction, since it is too late to edit:
I wrote:
Actually, this is not comparing apples to apples because that Bluenile diamond is was graded by GIA, not IGI which is a much reputable lab.

It should read:
Actually, this is not comparing apples to apples because that Bluenile diamond is was graded by GIA, not IGI which is a much less-reputable lab.

I wanted to add that if you can't return them, take heart.
You probably got better than average diamonds at a price that is near average - for customers who did not read PS first.
Considering how exploitive much of the retail diamond industry is I would say you did not get particularly taken to the cleaners.

It is just that . . . you asked for PS feedback . . . and here at PS we are spoiled.
We are accustomed to getting the best-cut diamonds, graded by labs you can believe, at the best prices, from the vendors with the best policies in the industry.

We have relatively lofty standards.

dwhuser

Rough_Rock
Thank You so much for the replies and I truly appreciate your advise and guidance. I have a 30 day return policy. So that is a great relief.

I was excited to open the Bluenile link suggested and noticed it's only for 1 stone. The 10K price I paid was for the pair, which I now understand is because to it's lower quality. I will keep looking. Thanks again.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results