shape
carat
color
clarity

Art Deco-Inspired OEC Band (Hello DiamondSeeker)

sapphirering

Shiny_Rock
Per DS's request, here are some photos of my new Art Deco-inspired band. The research for the project was all done on PS, so thank you to all the posters. Here goes the story: I first saw an Art Deco band on PS and fell in love with it. I don't know who the owner is, but I saved a photo:
band2.jpg

I then read a few posts about how a fellow PSer, LaurenthePartier, bought an OEC band off eBay and had the stones reset. Off to start the search! The hunt was soooo much fun. I ended up buying this 6-stone OEC band (photo from eBay):
6_13.jpg
The ring was described as .80ctw, G-H, VS2-SI1. The weight, I think, is closer to 90 points because each stone measures 3.5mm in diameter. My jeweler (who sadly didn't measure the stones since I forgot to ask her), thinks that they might weigh more because of the OEC cut, but we can't be sure. I think the color is actually more like F-G, since I'm very color sensitive and I couldn't detect any tints at all. They looked just a wee bit warm when I put the band next to my D color e-ring. Completely eye-clean.

So I dropped the ring off at my local jeweler and texted her the photo of the Art Deco band, and that was it. I'm really not a true PSer. :lol: About a month later I picked this baby up:
1_43.jpg
The band is 4mm wide total with the stones being 3.5mm. It was cast in hand-carved wax, in platinum.

Here's the band with my two wedding bands, done by the same platinum smith, in hand-carved wax cast as well.
2_36.jpg
The stack is too thick to wear on one finger, so I'm wearing one wedding band with my e-ring and the other with the new band on my right hand.
3_27.jpg
My e-ring is a Tiffany-inspired setting, center stone is 1.5 ct, D SI1, AGS 000.

Here's a hand shot of the band alone:
4_20.jpg

And with one wedding band:
5_15.jpg

This is way more bling than I ever thought I would wear all at the same time, on a daily basis. Seriously, my DH should be so happy that I can only do little blings. :lol: And for those who are interested in the pricing- the original band in platinum was listed for $950 on eBay, and I counter offered down to $700. The setting was $1500, so the total was $2200 (+plus sales tax for the setting). Overall, I'm really happy with the band and for how much it cost. I love the setting, and I LOVE the little OEC stones.

Thanks for looking! And hope my little project was helpful to those out there with the same idea!

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I am starstruck. Who is your jeweler-will he/she make more????

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
THAT RING IS BEAUTIFUL!!!! I love it!!!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Lovely band! I agree with the poster above--can you give us the name of your jeweler?

What does the under side of the band look like--without the diamonds?

eh613c

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I love your band! The details are exquisit.

renogirl

Shiny_Rock
FABULOUS! Love all your bling :appl:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now that is just GORGEOUS!!! I really, really love it, it looks amazing on you! :love: :love: :love:

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Sapphirering! That ring came out amazing! I'm actually the owner of your original inspiration :) I found it on ebay a few years ago, passed it up sadly, was then bought buy another PS'er (NeatFreak) and then she put it up for sale a year later. I happen to come across it for sale and couldn't pass it up a second time. I'm in love with that ring and so happy you found inspiration in it! Your new creation is gorgeous!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, that came out absolutely perfect! I love it! The milgrain and shape of the bezels is just divine!

Would love to see more pics of it and the profile, if possible! :bigsmile:

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Coming out of lurkdom to say... :lickout: :lickout: :lickout:

How beautiful! and unusual. So each OEC is round and you put it in a non-round shape? just making sure I understand...

just gorgeous!

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
BEAUTIFUL!!!

sapphirering

Shiny_Rock
Oh thanks for your responses guys! It's so nice when people respond. :appl:

lulu, this was a custom piece but I'm sure my jeweler can make more upon request! (But probably not with OEC stones though...)

Thanks Mayk, eh613c, renogirl, junebug17, and tuffyluvr! So kind of you to take the time to post!

Hi pregcurious! The jeweler I go to is actually a small mom-and-pop store, with three generations of the same family all working together! They are very very old-school, though, and don't even have a website. :nono: The underside of the diamonds are small holes, not like the big cutouts in the original band. I don't know why they did this- to make it structurally sturdier, or to save on cost? (Although there's way more platinum on the underneath with small holes than with the big cutouts). I'm not really picky about that stuff, though, and as a SAHM of two I really appreciate how solid this band and my wedding bands are. As it is, I wore the band today and whacked into the elevator door of our local public library since I was struggling with a double-wide stroller.

asscher_girl, so you're the lucky owner! I truly truly love your band. Thanks for posting!

Hi LaurenThePartier, I was just copying your resourcefulness. :) I'll try to take some different angles tomorrow.

angeline, yes the OECs are round, and it's in an octagon bezel, but really held in place by 4 double prongs. The prongs are teeny-tiny IRL, and pretty hard to spot in the photos as well. The delicate prongs are the main reason why I went back to the same guy to do my band. The milgrain is amazingly delicate, and certainly the best I've ever seen even though I'm not expert on jewelry.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Knocked the air out of me! WOW! :o

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, thank you for posting! :appl: I knew your ring would be very much liked by this group! I have been wanting a 5 stone band but just wasn't convinced I wanted the plain shared-prong style. When I saw your ring, it gave me some new ideas!!! :love: The funny thing is, I have a plain milgrain band and am soon going to set my e-ring into a tiffany repro! So we apparently like a lot of the same things!

Asscher girl, the story of you ending up with the original ring is quite amazing in itself! It is just gorgeous as well!

I am thinking that some little AVR stones would be quite beautiful set like this. :naughty:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sapphirering, what is your ring size?

SandyCheeks

Brilliant_Rock
Smashing, just smashing! Looks beautiful stacked with the bands and by itself. Great price point too, I love a great ebay/refurbish story! Thanks for sharing :appl:

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
:appl: Great job! Your new diamond band is gorgeous!!! :appl:

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous band!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a beautiful band! Congratulations!

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
I love it! What a stunning band!! Your collection of bands is lovely! :love:

Cachette :))

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That band is one of my all time favs too! Your new ring is gorgeous and I love how you put it together. Awesome job! Enjoy it!

eh613c

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Sapphirering and asscher girl:

I know that Sapphirering put the specs of her ring. Now I'm curious about the specs of the original. Would love to see comparisons of the specs.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is absolutely fabulous! Congrats!

sapphirering

Shiny_Rock
Thank you MissStepcut , SandyCheeks, purplesilk , lknvrb4, luv2sparkle, Cachette, yennyfire , eh613c , ecf8503. And yes, I love to read eBay stories on PS as well.

diamondseeker2006 , my ring size is 6. Wow, that necklace is quite pricey! But the bezel and the double prongs are just like my band. By the way, have you seen this 5-stone OEC band listed on eBay? http://www.ebay.com/itm/380387204685?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649 It was sold but returned and relisted. The auction ended but maybe you can email the seller if you're interested? I think AVRs would look amazing in this setting! I can't do shared-prong bands either with bigger stones- too much bling for me. My current band is perfect for me in terms of blinginess.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lovely collection... and I know... "I'll just get *1* thing... JUST 1!!" oh, how we lie to ourselves!!

Beautiful rings, Sapphirerings - and very lovely hands, too :appl: :love:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous!

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous ring!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sapphirering|1322604169|3071080 said:
diamondseeker2006 , my ring size is 6. Wow, that necklace is quite pricey! But the bezel and the double prongs are just like my band. By the way, have you seen this 5-stone OEC band listed on eBay? http://www.ebay.com/itm/380387204685?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649 It was sold but returned and relisted. The auction ended but maybe you can email the seller if you're interested? I think AVRs would look amazing in this setting! I can't do shared-prong bands either with bigger stones- too much bling for me. My current band is perfect for me in terms of blinginess.

Oh, good! I wear 5.5 so it gives me perspective about the size of the stones and setting. Yes, that necklace was much too high, but I thought it was neat that the octagonal bezel was also used for pendants!

Nooo! I did not see that ring!!! After doing some pricing, I'd be more likely to be able to afford this project if I did it the way you did. AVR's are perfection, but they are expensive. ;(

sapphirering

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Enerchi ! I have a sapphire RHR coming in mid-January (and yes DS I will be sure to post a thread here), but after that I'm done. My life is 90% playground and Costco runs. :cheeky:

Thank you MakingTheGrade and Lil Misfit !

diamondseeker2006|1322613069|3071201 said:
sapphirering|1322604169|3071080 said:

Oh, good! I wear 5.5 so it gives me perspective about the size of the stones and setting. Yes, that necklace was much too high, but I thought it was neat that the octagonal bezel was also used for pendants!

Nooo! I did not see that ring!!! After doing some pricing, I'd be more likely to be able to afford this project if I did it the way you did. AVR's are perfection, but they are expensive. ;(

Yeah, I was 5.5 pre-baby. :sick: I am back to my old size (thank you Jillian Michaels!) but I think my fingers are permanently bigger. You should email that seller! I'm pretty sure that the band didn't sell. It was actually listed for $1200 at first and she lowered it to $999, which I think is a total steal if the stones look as good IRL as the photos. (Especially if they really are D.) And yeah, AVRs command such a premium that I can't justify it unless it's for a larger stone. In fact, it's really hard for me to spend money on jewelry. I rather buy a painting- except, of course, you can't wear it and it's not sparkly.

Oh, and I think the octagonal bezel motif would look fabulous incorporated in a pair of chandelier earrings. Oh, a gal can dream...

eta: DS, the OEC stones in my band are really lovely. They have a soft shimmer that is very eye-catching. I think it's a more subtle look than RB. I don't know how they compare to AVR but I think it's worth giving eBay a try.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results