shape
carat
color
clarity

162 year old wedding band question

Lianne-in-england

Rough_Rock
Hello all,
I found this forum after trawling the internet looking for help. My mum recently gave me my Great Grandmothers wedding band. They married in 1915. After some investigation I have discovered it is 22ct yellow gold, stamped in Birmingham England in 1858 by a jeweller called James Walker.
The ring is an L size, and as it is my grandmothers I would obviously love to use it myself. But I did not inherit her slender fingers! I need it sized up to a P. Is this possible? Should I to try and find another piece of gold from the same era to use to size the ring up with?
We think the ring was passed to my Great Grandfather from his mother (but cannot be sure of that) 20191228_225234.jpg . I am in love with this sentimental piece of metal!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A skilled bench should be able to easily match the 22kt gold color ... do you have a reputable local jeweler? Otherwise I'd spend time researching the better jewelers within your area to ensure they work with heirloom pieces and high karat gold, and then be sure the written re-size instructions specifically state something like "matching the gold color seamlessly"

It is a beautiful gold band with wonderful history; I am glad you will be able to wear it soon!

Lianne-in-england

Rough_Rock
A skilled bench should be able to easily match the 22kt gold color ... do you have a reputable local jeweler? Otherwise I'd spend time researching the better jewelers within your area to ensure they work with heirloom pieces and high karat gold, and then be sure the written re-size instructions specifically state something like "matching the gold color seamlessly"

It is a beautiful gold band with wonderful history; I am glad you will be able to wear it soon!

Thank you for your advice, much appreciated. I know absolutely nothing as you can tell. We have a few jeweller chains here, but I have found a small independent one not far from me (who gave me the age). I'll have a look on google for reviews as far as his work goes. I'm so excited to get it made bigger and then marry my childhood sweetheart with it! (We got back together when we were 30, had been childhood swerthearts until we were 14). So it is only fitting that our ring should have a beautiful history too ❤

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Simple but beautiful :))

One option could be to melt it down and re-cast it into your size, but I feel that would seem like a bit of a loss, so I hope you can get it sized up!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hello all,
I found this forum after trawling the internet looking for help. My mum recently gave me my Great Grandmothers wedding band. They married in 1915. After some investigation I have discovered it is 22ct yellow gold, stamped in Birmingham England in 1858 by a jeweller called James Walker.
The ring is an L size, and as it is my grandmothers I would obviously love to use it myself. But I did not inherit her slender fingers! I need it sized up to a P. Is this possible? Should I to try and find another piece of gold from the same era to use to size the ring up with?
We think the ring was passed to my Great Grandfather from his mother (but cannot be sure of that) 20191228_225234.jpg . I am in love with this sentimental piece of metal!

I love nanna jewlery
my heart sings every time i see a threas like this
i wear my heart grandma's wedding ring as a pinky ring because it was quite a small size and didn't want to size it up too much

i think its a lovely idea to have it as your own wedding ring

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you can’t get it sized up with 22ct gold it would look amazing on a piece of leather as a pendant.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You should have it sized up by a bench who are used to dealing with vintage jewellery. Is it possible it may be "green gold", or one of the other rarer alloys? My daughter has a vintage green gold ring that took a while to find the right gold to match. You wouldn't want anything less than what you have of course.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You should have it sized up by a bench who are used to dealing with vintage jewellery. Is it possible it may be "green gold", or one of the other rarer alloys? My daughter has a vintage green gold ring that took a while to find the right gold to match. You wouldn't want anything less than what you have of course.

ditto this. I once had a vintage ring re-shanked, and the jeweler used a shank in a slightly different shade of gold. It was very disappointing. Because you’re sizing up quite a bit, the jeweler will need to add gold. Because your ring is so old, it may be made with an alloy formula that is not stock today. Make sure you use a jeweler who’s willing to go to the trouble to get a match that is, visually, at least, identical to the existing ring.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
22k is commonly used in Indian jewelry and I love the pieces that I have. Could you find a reputable Indian jeweler around?

The ring is beautiful! So wonderful that it was your grandmother's wedding ring!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results