carat
color
clarity

15k RB upgrade possibilities...

wishingstar

Shiny_Rock
Hi All,
35.gif

I''ve been lurking around for 2wks now. It''s been fun, but now I want to get down to business. My original ering is a RB1.35 F, VS2 H&A. I would like a much larger stone, but reading too much is confusing sometimes and now I dont know what I should sacrifice on:

cut, super ideal vs H&A ideal? will the signature cuts make that much of a difference from an H&A with great numbers?

color, G, H vs I or J? will these be as enjoyable after living with a D all these years? I went to Jared and looked at H/I in their Peerless collection and they look great, but I didnt look at the stones in different lighting and also, they didnt have any larger stones on hand.

clarity, VS vs SI? eye clean is fine for me

ct, my ring size is 5.25, would ~1.8ct be a significant visual upgrade? with >2ct price jump allows only for low color stones
8.gif

$, $15-17k, I wanted to try keep it to 15k, since a setting will be another $2k

setting styles, would a 6prong help in making the mounted stone look larger? would it help hide some color in a lower color stone? is it harder to keep the stone clean since it is not as open as 4prong?

upgrade policies, I will purchase online with good upgrade policies, so which is wiser - a larger I/J SI for the budget, a smaller G/H SI, or should I stick with a smaller, low color good quality VS stone knowing I''m planning to upgrade anyways? Is it still of quality value if it is SI or I/J???

I guess what I''m trying to ask is, compared to what I have now, is a nice upgrade over hopefully 1.8 for this budget make me happy? Or should I just save up for now. Hope you guys have some tips to help a newbie narrow down my options. Cant wait to hear your opinions... THANKS!
36.gif

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
define signature cut?

cemrn

Brilliant_Rock
I have a H&A BGD 1.7ct I SI1 stone. It is in a 3 stone next to Gs and it matches up beautifully.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-bgd-upgrade-arrived-photos.141276/
I think it looks white but I never had a D stone before. I think maybe you should look again at different colors in the jewelry store and see how sensitive you are. It looks like your budget will get you a 1.8 H SI1 but you need to see if you are happy dropping from a D to an H.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go out and look at some stones IRL, that''s the only way to determine where YOUR tolerances lie on any of these characteristics you''re debating between.

wishingstar

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/8/2010 7:51:11 PM
Author: cemrn
I have a H&A BGD 1.7ct I SI1 stone. It is in a 3 stone next to Gs and it matches up beautifully.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-bgd-upgrade-arrived-photos.141276/
I think it looks white but I never had a D stone before. I think maybe you should look again at different colors in the jewelry store and see how sensitive you are. It looks like your budget will get you a 1.8 H SI1 but you need to see if you are happy dropping from a D to an H.
DROOLING! now thats a ring! I''m planning to make studs out of my ering, hence the limited budget on this project
31.gif

I also have a D H&A 1.10ct VS1...so maybe a pendant, but that 3stone ring is gorgeous and gives me new options,
36.gif

wishingstar

Shiny_Rock
Bella, thanks those are nice options, I did look them over, but like I said I''ve been to the stores and they look fine there, I guess my question is more, I wonder if I could live with it, since I do love my icy whites... but you''re right (YSSIE) I''ll have to figure that one out myself, thanx

On a side note, do you notice that BGD''s site is constantly offline or stuck? are they new in the business? I know many ppl use them, but that makes me wonder how reputable they are. Their stones look awesome, but then you only have such a limited selection. Anyways, just an observation.

Stone: I just meant BGS, ACA, Infinity etc by signature cuts.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
do you have a branded/signature cut currently?

also if you plan on upgrading in the future make sure you get one with a good upgrade policy

go look at the colors in real life, that will help you decide...is size or color more important to you!

also I wouldn''t call 15k a "limited budget"
25.gif

cemrn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/9/2010 1:30:12 AM
Author: wishingstar
Bella, thanks those are nice options, I did look them over, but like I said I''ve been to the stores and they look fine there, I guess my question is more, I wonder if I could live with it, since I do love my icy whites... but you''re right (YSSIE) I''ll have to figure that one out myself, thanx

On a side note, do you notice that BGD''s site is constantly offline or stuck? are they new in the business? I know many ppl use them, but that makes me wonder how reputable they are. Their stones look awesome, but then you only have such a limited selection. Anyways, just an observation.

Stone: I just meant BGS, ACA, Infinity etc by signature cuts.

BGD is not a new to the business. Brian was one of the founders of Whiteflash. I think he left about a year ago to start BGD. I know they were doing maintenence on their website last weekend but I''ve never had a problem on it. You need not worry he has an excellent reputation. Many vendors only keep a limited amount of stones in stock.

wishingstar

Shiny_Rock
slg - no, the H&A''s i have now are not branded. Do cutters ever make super ideal porportions when they''re not marketed as a brand? Or do they not bother, just so they can maximize the spread/ct weight

Christie, thanks for your input as I am leaning towards a BGD. Infinity seems to have even lower colors K-M and hard to compare as there arent many same spec stones, but seems Infinity has a slightly higher premium. Why would that be? have they just been around longer?

Happy Mother''s day ALL

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/9/2010 2:03:44 PM
Infinity seems to have even lower colors K-M and hard to compare as there arent many same spec stones, but seems Infinity has a slightly higher premium. Why would that be? have they just been around longer?

Infinity has one of the best buy back policy around, 80% of purchase price, so the higher premium.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
slg - no, the H&A''s i have now are not branded. Do cutters ever make super ideal porportions when they''re not marketed as a brand? Or do they not bother, just so they can maximize the spread/ct weight

Christie, thanks for your input as I am leaning towards a BGD. Infinity seems to have even lower colors K-M and hard to compare as there arent many same spec stones, but seems Infinity has a slightly higher premium. Why would that be? have they just been around longer?

Happy Mother''s day ALL
Both BG and Infinity have the very best reputations and you would be in safe hands with either.

wishingstar

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/9/2010 2:25:15 PM
Author: Stone-cold11

Infinity seems to have even lower colors K-M and hard to compare as there arent many same spec stones, but seems Infinity has a slightly higher premium. Why would that be? have they just been around longer?

Infinity has one of the best buy back policy around, 80% of purchase price, so the higher premium.
Thnx Stone, a great point to consider when buying. do they sell many of their stones before they are listed online? as they have mostly below J-L with VVS-VS..

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/8/2010 6:32:53 PM
Author:wishingstar
Hi All,
35.gif

I''ve been lurking around for 2wks now. It''s been fun, but now I want to get down to business. My original ering is a RB1.35 F, VS2 H&A. I would like a much larger stone, but reading too much is confusing sometimes and now I dont know what I should sacrifice on:

cut, super ideal vs H&A ideal? will the signature cuts make that much of a difference from an H&A with great numbers?

color, G, H vs I or J? will these be as enjoyable after living with a D all these years? I went to Jared and looked at H/I in their Peerless collection and they look great, but I didnt look at the stones in different lighting and also, they didnt have any larger stones on hand.

ct, my ring size is 5.25, would ~1.8ct be a significant visual upgrade? with >2ct price jump allows only for low color stones
8.gif

setting styles, would a 6prong help in making the mounted stone look larger? would it help hide some color in a lower color stone? is it harder to keep the stone clean since it is not as open as 4prong?

upgrade policies, I will purchase online with good upgrade policies, so which is wiser - a larger I/J SI for the budget, a smaller G/H SI, or should I stick with a smaller, low color good quality VS stone knowing I''m planning to upgrade anyways? Is it still of quality value if it is SI or I/J???

I guess what I''m trying to ask is, compared to what I have now, is a nice upgrade over hopefully 1.8 for this budget make me happy? Or should I just save up for now. Hope you guys have some tips to help a newbie narrow down my options. Cant wait to hear your opinions... THANKS!
36.gif
Welcome wishingstar...looks like we''ll be competing for the same stones in the next few months
3.gif

I''m also in the market for a RB (ideal, as close to H&A) in the 1.8-2.1 ct range for 15K. I''m also struggling with the size vs color. I''m willing to sacrifice clarity and get an SI, but being a color girl myself, I think I''d rather get an F/G in the 1.75-1.8 range rather than a 2ct H-i-j. If you plan to upgrade again, I''d go with the color you can live with, then move up in stages for size. I don''t think I could wear a large Honker every day if the color bothered me.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/10/2010 12:12:24 PM
Thnx Stone, a great point to consider when buying. do they sell many of their stones before they are listed online? as they have mostly below J-L with VVS-VS..

No idea. Best to get hold of the vendor you wish to work with and ask him to check if any stones of your specs are in the pipeline for you.

wishingstar

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/10/2010 2:07:58 PM
Author: jaysonsmom

Date: 5/8/2010 6:32:53 PM
Author:wishingstar
Hi All,
35.gif

8.gif

36.gif
Welcome wishingstar...looks like we''ll be competing for the same stones in the next few months
3.gif

I''m also in the market for a RB (ideal, as close to H&A) in the 1.8-2.1 ct range for 15K. I''m also struggling with the size vs color. I''m willing to sacrifice clarity and get an SI, but being a color girl myself, I think I''d rather get an F/G in the 1.75-1.8 range rather than a 2ct H-i-j. If you plan to upgrade again, I''d go with the color you can live with, then move up in stages for size. I don''t think I could wear a large Honker every day if the color bothered me.
Jmom, isn''t it fun and frustrating at the same time? I know how you feel. What size are you upgrading from? I will be going for SI stones as I know I dont have eagle eyes for inclusions, so SI should be safe for me. Good luck with your search and post pics when you get something!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/10/2010 3:43:45 PM
Jmom, isn''t it fun and frustrating at the same time? I know how you feel. What size are you upgrading from? I will be going for SI stones as I know I dont have eagle eyes for inclusions, so SI should be safe for me. Good luck with your search and post pics when you get something!
I have a spready 1.25 princess that people have said looked about 1.5 ct, and it''s an E VS2. That is why I''m shooting for a noticable size increase, but I really don''t want to go lower than a G in color if I don''t have to.

wishingstar

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/10/2010 5:13:03 PM
Author: jaysonsmom

Date: 5/10/2010 3:43:45 PM
I have a spready 1.25 princess that people have said looked about 1.5 ct, and it''s an E VS2. That is why I''m shooting for a noticable size increase, but I really don''t want to go lower than a G in color if I don''t have to.
sounds nice! what will you do with your original ER? did you give yourself a deadline? I thought it''d be quite simple, but too many options and variables to consider. My problem, hard to find a ''sizeable'' upgrade with 15k
27.gif
cant wait to see what you get.
36.gif
JMom

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
You need to go see some diamond in different lighting. Better yet, have BGD send you the 2 ct J that Bella linked and see what you think of it loose.

And remember, there is a difference between perceiving tint in a diamond and being bothered by it. The former is just information that your eyes give you, the latter is a decision you make
2.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results