shape
carat
color
clarity

New Nigerian scam?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got two e-mails from two different people I knew. The pattern is so similar that it becomes concerning.

The first one came from a person who was, mildly saying, hapless. It stated that he and his family were stuck in (a European country) and needed 900 Euro to get back. He promised to fully reimburse me on getting back, say, on Friday (??). An address where to mail the check to was obligingly provided.

Me and my friends laughed at it - knowining the guy, we thought it would be just his style to try to pull such a scam!

But today I got an email from a very respectable person. I do not know her personally, let us say, semi-professionally or rather, I considered using her services (she runs a very reputable business). Anyhow...

She has cancer and has not told anyone about it. She is secretly undergoing treatment in Spain (why Spain? With best doctors in the US and an excellent center here?). She needs $ 2000.00 to finish her treatment and she'll reimburse me as soon as she gets back to the country (on Saturday). She asks me not to tell anyone about it and she is writing to me since she knows me as a warm-hearted person.

I called a friend of mine; he knows her way better than I do. (Although not personally either). He was very surprized. He felt that her e-mail account might have been hijacked and it was a scam.

So I might have made a mistake. I sent her an e-mail back asking for the cell phone to so that I and another person knowing her well could verify her identity.

Needless to say, no answer.

Did I put myself at risk by responding to the e-mail? Can my account now be penetrated? Has anyone run into such a scam recently?

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's actually a well known scam. Shouldn't be a problem that you replied to her e-mail, but best to ignore.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, my Dad got one of those emails last year. So&so in foreign country lost money and needs some to get home.
My dad contacted him via phone to let him know what was going on. All just a scam.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I've had the first email twice over the last year. Friend is traveling in Europe, friend gets mugged, friend needs X# of dollars to get home. A few concerned people called said friend and they were totally comfy at home.

I think you're ok replying as long as you didn't give any information. I could be totally wrong though.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Ugh that happened to me. One day I couldn't get into two of my three email accounts. Even my secret info and home address had been changed. It took yahoo a long time to help me ( 24 hours). In the meantime the person that hacked my account had sent out mail to everyone on my mailing list saying that I'd been beaten up and robbed and was stuck in a foreign country and needed money asap for a ticket home. All day I was getting phone calls from worried friends. Really annoying!

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes I respond to those emails with nonsense as if I'm playing along. It's always fun to scam a scammer. Of course, it it appears to be coming from a friend, I let my friend know his or her account has been hacked. Still fun to mess with the hacker, though.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I thought this might be about Nigerian spessartites! Haha. Glad to know that no gems are involved in the scamming process.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
That's so totally icky. Haven't gotten one of those but will keep an eye peeled now. Innerkitten, how rotten for you, headache city there. I got a virus from somebody on another list I'm on that hijacked my address book, sent spam to everyone, AND unsubscribed me from every list I'm on. Darned annoying.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Annoying indeed... Some people I know got very nasty viruses. This woman who allegedly was undergoing treatment in another country (the one from whom I got the e-mail) got a lot of calls and felt very bad about the whole situation because she apparently gave her e-mail password to someone else she trusted...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results