shape
carat
color
clarity

Settings

Susiecushie

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I am looking at settings for my diamond. It is a J VS1 1.3. I like simple classic settings. I am drawn to the Vatche settings. I really like the x=prong. Do you all know where I can get a good price? Should I just do custom? I currently have a simple $250 tiffany setting that the head could be replaced for $150 (since the current rock is only .37). But it just seems so chintzy to have a big rock on such a dinky band. The band a Stuller 4 prong tiffany. Less than 2mm I'm guessing.

Thanks for any advice.

Susan

slg47

Ideal_Rock
maybe ask GOG what they have similar to x-prong?

ameronica

Rough_Rock
I know exactly how you feel. When I upgraded my ring from a .15 to a .67 diamond I could have just gotten a new head and kept the plain setting, but I too wanted something different.

The first link is of a very beautiful simple setting that would look beautiful with the diamond size you have.

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/White-Gold-2-1mm-Timeless-Engagement-Ring.html

The second and third are X prong styles like you stated you like.
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/18k-White-Gold-Thin-Cross-Prong-Diamond-Engagement-Ring.html

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/contemporary-rings/diamond-solitaire-ring.html

All of these are under $800 for the 18kt white gold versions...if you wanted platinum obviously they would be a little higher.
I think all of these would look great as a setting for your stone, I hope this helps :)

Susiecushie

Rough_Rock
I have been drooling over the James Allen rings. Well, I have been drooling over lots of things. But these won't break the bank. I have talked with GOG and the simple solitaires are so not expensive but for just a few hundred more I could a REALLY nice looking setting from James Allen. Since we kinda went overboard with the diamond I can't go too crazy on the setting. :) :naughty:

How would James Allen work? Buy the setting and then get it set somewhere local? How much do jewelers charge for setting a stone. I live in Seattle.

Thanks.

Susan

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Susan, it is hard to take a setting and stone bought elsewhere to get a local jeweler to set. They won't want the liability of possibly damaging the stone or setting. I advise you to buy a setting from a place that can set the stone. The best case is to buy a setting from Good Old Gold. They have sooo many settings in different price ranges (including Vatche) and then you'd receive the diamond already in the setting and could have it insured immediately.

Susiecushie

Rough_Rock
Well, when I talked to Sarah at GOG she let me know that the person who told my dh that the heading could be replaced on my ring was wrong. Luckily I hadn't shipped my ring overnight to them and saved myself $50 buy sending it 3 day. SOOOO, now I am really looking at settings. But to pay $350-500 for temp setting when I could spend $700 and get a setting much more style for a couple hundred more. AND I want the ring for Saturday because that is my birthday party. WHY did I wait until this week to decide that I really wanted a ring for my birthday??? I've been looking but did feel the push to buy.

GOG has a lot of nice designer rings but they are pricier than I'd like to spend now. And the other stuff just doesn't sing to me. I found a great rock but now to find a great setting. ACK!!! Is James Allen a good representation of what a setting would cost at a local jeweler? Also would a custom design be that much more? I really want the ring and the stone to be proportional to each other, kwim?

Thanks for all this help. I wish I could just let you all make the decision for me. :)

Susan

ameronica

Rough_Rock
JA will set the stone, you send it into them and they set it for you. It costs an additional $150. If you buy just a setting from them, when you check out there will be that option and then you put in the specs of your diamond so they know the size of it. The links i posted it shows the diamond ct weight that the setting will fit. I just checked and they all can accommodate a .50-3.50ct diamond.

The local jeweler by me charged me $30 to set my stone into my ring for my old engagement ring (didn't get the stone there).
Where did you get your stone? If it is a brick and mortar store you could probably get it set there.

As for settings at local jewelers. I think it depends. The jeweler by me didnt have many settings on display but he had a jewelry book that he had me look at and out of there I picked my first engagement ring setting. This book had thousands of settings and I did see some of the style you like. I would say if you want to get a setting locally to go to the jeweler and look around, if you dont see any like the ones you are looking for ask to see if they have a book of settings. I am not sure about price though. The one I picked was a simple basic solitaire and it was $350.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results