shape
carat
color
clarity

Will this window close-up when I set this stone?

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I have been wanting an oval morganite stone to put in a rose gold setting. I didn't want to spend a ton and I didn't care if it was heated (does that make me a bad ps'er?? :sick:) so I purchased this stone:

http://www.gemselect.com/morganite/morganite-269307.php

The color is exactly what I am looking for, however it has a very large window. If I set this in a split-shank halo, do you think the window will close up somewhat? I don't know much about this sort of thing. Should I order the setting and chance it or should I just return it and keep looking? Let me know what you think. Also, if anyone knows where I can find an oval morganite, let me know, I could not find very many of these stones out there.

Thank you!!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
If it looks like the photo then it's a pretty stone - I like the colour.

With the right setting I think the window will close up quite well. I wouldn't call it a very large one - more a medium-small to me...

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the color as well.

Will the window close? heck, dunno?? Sometimes you can 'close a window' but its dependant on the setting.

For myself, though I like the color, I would keep looking to see if there was a stone with a smaller to no head-on window. Everyone's different in what they can or can't tolerate, so you'll get 50-11 answers about the window.

What type of treatments you can stand is totally up to you. As long as you're aware of them, I don't see any issue.

-A

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Pandora - the window looks a little larger to me in real life. As long as it looks somewhat better than it does now after setting it, I think I'd be fine with it.

Arcadian - Thank you for your advice. You're right, this is probably just a matter of personal preference, as is the treatment of stones. There are a lot of stones on my wish list that I wouldn't want to be treated, but for this one it was not a big deal to me.

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hello Stargurl :wavey:

Pretty color in the morganite; but I do not think you will close the window on the first one without encroaching on the diameter of the gem.

The 3.21 carat has a better chance than most; you will always look at the width to depth ratio and I always like a 75% depth to width ratio to get a good return.
So if the gem is 6mm deep it does not need to be over 8mm wide or somewhere in the general area; you will also have to consider how tall the crown is in that measurement as well; but if like most foreign cut gems they usually have a very shallow crown.

But that is a general rule of thumb when buying facet rough or when considering re-cutting a gem.

I hope this helps;

Most Respectfully;

Dana

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Dana!! This is very helpful :bigsmile: I just purchased the 3.21ct stone, since it seems that there will be less chance of a window than in the other 2 stones. I am going to return the first stone that I purchased.

I will definitely keep the width to depth ratio in mind for future purchases =)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The third stone you've linked to also has a window.

If you're going to have any chance of minimising a window with a setting, it's critical you buy the right sort of setting. It's the basket that you need to concentrate on. To close a window you need a setting with a more enclosed basket rather than one that's open. However, with big windows (and I suspect your stone in the first link does) you may not close up the window but what may happen is you actually see the basket through the stone (really not a good look). So if you buy a gem with a window, make sure it's not a huge one AND your setting has a good amount of metal in the basket.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
LovingDiamonds said:
The third stone you've linked to also has a window.

If you're going to have any chance of minimising a window with a setting, it's critical you buy the right sort of setting. It's the basket that you need to concentrate on. To close a window you need a setting with a more enclosed basket rather than one that's open. However, with big windows (and I suspect your stone in the first link does) you may not close up the window but what may happen is you actually see the basket through the stone (really not a good look). So if you buy a gem with a window, make sure it's not a huge one AND your setting has a good amount of metal in the basket.

This is good to know LD, thank you! I just took a look at the setting I have my eye on and the basket is almost completely closed, so this is great news. I ended up ordering the 2nd stone that I posted so hopefully the window isn't as bad as it is in the first stone...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All three stones have about the same sized medium window. The depth of the stone doesn't necessarily mean that one stone has a smaller window than the other because it is also the critial last 3 tiers of the pavilion that is cut too shallowly, which is one of the reasons why a deep stone can still show a window. An enclosed type basket will minimize the appearance of a window. A quick test before setting the stone is to put it on your hand between the fingers to see if the window is less noticeable. If so, then an enclosed setting should do the trick.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Chrono said:
All three stones have about the same sized medium window. The depth of the stone doesn't necessarily mean that one stone has a smaller window than the other because it is also the critial last 3 tiers of the pavilion that is cut too shallowly, which is one of the reasons why a deep stone can still show a window. An enclosed type basket will minimize the appearance of a window. A quick test before setting the stone is to put it on your hand between the fingers to see if the window is less noticeable. If so, then an enclosed setting should do the trick.

Hmm... I think I will wait to send the first stone back until I receive the 2nd one, since it may not be an improvement. I'll compare the two before I send anything back. I will have to try your test when I get home from work today - thanks for the tip!

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
stargurl78|1300988002|2879078 said:
The color is exactly what I am looking for, however it has a very large window. If I set this in a split-shank halo, do you think the window will close up somewhat?
I don't think that windows ever really "close up", but in stones like this I don't think that they're much of a problem. The reason is that in stones with a low refractive index, (aqua, morganite, tourmalines, quartz), you will always get a tilt window with a very low amount of tilt of the stone. If the stone you're concerned about has a window which is no larger than the table, then when you tilt it and see the inevitable tilt window, the half of the previous window closest to you will start to flash, making the total windowed area stay pretty close to the same over a fairly large tilt angle. Basically you'll always see some amount of windowing in these low R.I. stones, so a little bit when looking straight at the stone doesn't matter too much.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Michael_E said:
I don't think that windows ever really "close up", but in stones like this I don't think that they're much of a problem. The reason is that in stones with a low refractive index, (aqua, morganite, tourmalines, quartz), you will always get a tilt window with a very low amount of tilt of the stone. If the stone you're concerned about has a window which is no larger than the table, then when you tilt it and see the inevitable tilt window, the half of the previous window closest to you will start to flash, making the total windowed area stay pretty close to the same over a fairly large tilt angle. Basically you'll always see some amount of windowing in these low R.I. stones, so a little bit when looking straight at the stone doesn't matter too much.

So as long as the window is around the same size as the table, and the setting I choose has a very closed basket, I'm thinking the window won't be too bad. Thanks much for the info.

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
So many times I try the links to that shop but I think that site is in Thailand like I am and it has all of Thailand blocked. Best regards, Lee

Zzz

Rough_Rock
Trade
Lee Little|1301322837|2881804 said:
So many times I try the links to that shop but I think that site is in Thailand like I am and it has all of Thailand blocked. Best regards, Lee

:confused: So.. people in Thailand can't buy from Gemselect?
It says on their website that they are located in Chanthaburi, Thailand.
Here's a screenshot of the first stone stargurl78 mentioned

gemselect.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results