shape
carat
color
clarity

For those with a timeline....

faded264

Rough_Rock
IHi! I'm new here! :wavey:

I thought it would be fun to have a thread where everyone can post how long they've been together with their SO and if they have a general timeline of when to expect an engagement.

Also, for those with longer timelines, any advice you have on keeping sane and keeping your mind off of the wait.

So, I'll start:

My boyfriend and I have been together for 3 years.

He said he plans to propose before Christmas of this year, but he may surprise me with it earlier. I'm a little disappointed, because I thought it would be sooner than that.

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
BF and I have been together almost 7 years.

Expecting engagement this June for our 7th dating anniversary. (If everything goes as planned, of course.)

UnluckyTwin

Shiny_Rock
Welcome!

Today is me and SO's 2-year anniversary. We are both in grad school. I'll finish in 2013 or 2014, and we don't really know yet when he will finish (though it should be around the same time as me). We make virtually no money in grad school, so we pay rent, bills, and groceries, and what's left to be "saved" is so small that we'd prefer to treat each other to dinners and movies rather than try to save for rings and a ceremony/celebration (plus I don't get a stipend in the summer so during the year I have to save to make up for that). In other words, it will be a long time! We plan to have a ceremony/celebration as soon as we land professor gigs after graduation and pay for it ourselves (I'm imagining $10,000 to feed/drink our families and take a vacation).

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome!

My bf and I have been together six years. I graduate with my 2 year degree in May, bf doesn't plan to finish college, it looks like. Fine with me, college isn't for everyone. I live at home, and my bf lives with his parents. We are both in our upper 20's. Not sure when/if engagement will happen. We haven't had a serious talk about it, and haven't gone ring shopping. We both want to be stable in our lives before we take the next step. There's no point in being engaged when we both live at home, make very little money, and are trying to get on our feet.

So, I guess if it happens, it happens.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
My bf and I have been together a little over a year (our anniversary was in December). I expect to be engaged in about, um, 5 days. Wow, so weird to think about!

wwmd8118

Shiny_Rock
My bf and I have been together for a little over 4 years, and he told me at the end of 2009 that the proposal would come in early 2011. So, hopefully, it'll happen sometime soon. :bigsmile:

wwmd8118

Shiny_Rock
faded264|1299961076|2870291 said:

He said he plans to propose before Christmas of this year, but he may surprise me with it earlier. I'm a little disappointed, because I thought it would be sooner than that.

BTW you sound exactly like where I was last year. Around our 3rd anniversary, it was NYE starting 2010, and I made a comment about 2010 being "our year," to which he responded that 2010 wouldn't be our year. but early in 2011 would be. I was SO disappointed because I really thought it would be sooner at that point. But here we are, a year later, and it's finally close. So, time flies and before you know it, you'll have a ring on your hand...not that I do yet, but it feels like it's a lot closer than ever before! :loopy:

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a great thread!

My boyfriend and I will make a year together in about three weeks, but I've known him for longer. Wow, time flies. As far as a timeline, the ring is being made as I type. I expect to be asked in the next few months! Seems fast to others, but seems like forever to us. We're fairly young, but we're both in school and have our lives together. I have a Master's in progress and he is going for a Bachelor's. I initially thought he would want to wait until he graduates with his BS next year, but he's changed his mind.

It's such an exciting time! Congrats to everyone!

faded264

Rough_Rock
wwmd8118|1299990954|2870580 said:

BTW you sound exactly like where I was last year. Around our 3rd anniversary, it was NYE starting 2010, and I made a comment about 2010 being "our year," to which he responded that 2010 wouldn't be our year. but early in 2011 would be. I was SO disappointed because I really thought it would be sooner at that point. But here we are, a year later, and it's finally close. So, time flies and before you know it, you'll have a ring on your hand...not that I do yet, but it feels like it's a lot closer than ever before! :loopy:

Thanks for your reply! That gives me hope haha. It seems like so long away. I had thought we were going to get engaged within the next two months (he had said this before) but now it's been changed to by the end of the year. I'm just going to try not to think about it as much and hopefully it'll fly by. I do have nursing school to distract me between now and then though (I graduate in December!).

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
BF and I have been together for almost 4 years. I think (and hope) we will be engaged by June. It's not set in stone, but I'm pretty sure this is a good estimate. :)

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to PS!

BF and I have been together close to 2 years.. I'm expecting a proposal within the next 3 months. Anticipation is killing me!

wwmd8118

Shiny_Rock
MayFlowers|1300040119|2870813 said:
BF and I have been together for almost 4 years. I think (and hope) we will be engaged by June. It's not set in stone, but I'm pretty sure this is a good estimate. :)

Mayflower - You and I are living the same timeline - been together 4 years and I'm pretty sure it'll happen by June. I'll cross my fingers for the both of us...and everyone else on PS for that matter! :))

wwmd8118

Shiny_Rock
faded264|1300037128|2870792 said:
wwmd8118|1299990954|2870580 said:

Thanks for your reply! That gives me hope haha. It seems like so long away. I had thought we were going to get engaged within the next two months (he had said this before) but now it's been changed to by the end of the year. I'm just going to try not to think about it as much and hopefully it'll fly by. I do have nursing school to distract me between now and then though (I graduate in December!).

Faded - There is definitely hope and distraction is key! It's funny how when he told me it was a year off, I didn't think about it anymore because it felt far away, and I feel like time flew. But now that I think it's a matter of weeks or months, time drags SO slowly! Once I started thinking about it all the time and not staying distracted, time seemed to stand still. So, focus on school, and it'll be here before you know it!

peonies

Rough_Rock
My boyfriend and I have been together for a bit over 2 years and we will be engaged by November most likely! The ring is in the house but he is waiting and trying to dream up ways to surprise me. : )

kateydid05

Shiny_Rock
My boyfriend and I have been together for 6.5 years and will hit 7 in October. We have no timeline (he is of the total surprise camp) and I have made the decision to refrain from bringing up the topic until our 7 year anniversary passes.

AdanaEsq

Shiny_Rock
We've been together almost 2 years. Our anniversary is in July. Timeline wise, I'm expecting a proposal sometime this year. Knowing him though I'm thinking it won't happen till around the end of the year. He's taking me to Hawaii in November for my 30th birthday so it would be great if he did it there. If he proposes sooner than that then great!

Someone posted a thread last year about a book called His Cold Feet. I think it was somewhat helpful with LIW moments although I've still had LIWitis. Having a "definite" timeline has helped calm me down though.

mochamamasita

Shiny_Rock
I've been with my boyfriend for 6 years (it seems like a lot of us have :) ) and I'm hoping to be engaged by the end of the summer if all goes as planned.

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
No timeline, which should be fine. I'm young-- extremely young by US standards. But yet the LIWitis still seeps in. Known bf for almost 3 years, been together 2 years and 2 months now. We have a 5 year age difference, he's 25- yeah, I'm that young.
I went to Yeshiva (jewish school) for middle school, and I've kept in touch with some people from there. The Jewish community gets married early, and much of my class is either engaged, married, or with child. I'm really not in any rush, but now I'm getting the pouring of wedding invites and they haven't been with their SO's for very long, average 6 months (also, very common). Le sigh. Sorry for the threadjack!!

Much dust and excitement for the ladies who know it's coming soon! :appl:

Glitz

Shiny_Rock
We'll be celebrating our 6 year anniversary this summer, time sure flies when you're having fun. We discussed our timeline this past weekend (after deciding that eloping during our trip to Vegas next month is not for us) and if everything goes as planned there could be an engagement for us this June!!!! We want to do things properly and not rush it. June is so close, but yet seems soooo far. These next couple of months are going to be tough.

mmi

Shiny_Rock
I'll join the 6-year club! :wavey:

SO and I have been together over 6 years now. I don't have a timeline per se, but we hope it's going to be by next summer. We are both in grad school and don't have "real" jobs yet. So I'll be here a while.

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! I have also been with my SO for 6 yrs! Feels nice to be in good company. :appl:

He says there is no timeline. Wants to blindside me with a proposal.
But I'm thinking/suspecting/hoping it'll be 9-12 months from now. *crosses fingers*

I'm usually good at finding things out from him & he knows that. lol So he's going to try his best keep this from me. Our 7 yr anniv. might be too obvious, so he likely will wait well past that to throw me off.

But knowing him as well as I do, I really think it's happening this yr or early next yr the latest. :D

blossom1322

Rough_Rock
My boyfriend and I have been together for 5 years and living together for the last 3. I've tried to avoid giving him any hard timelines but have expressed my thoughts about when I would like a family . Over the last year and a half I've been amazed at how many people (including ones we've just met) that have asked him when we were getting married, lol. It seems I don't have to pressure him when others will do it for me :razz: We are leaving for a 2 week vacation in Hawaii soon and I almost positive I will come back engaged :love:

faded264

Rough_Rock
blossom1322|1301773402|2886073 said:
My boyfriend and I have been together for 5 years and living together for the last 3. I've tried to avoid giving him any hard timelines but have expressed my thoughts about when I would like a family . Over the last year and a half I've been amazed at how many people (including ones we've just met) that have asked him when we were getting married, lol. It seems I don't have to pressure him when others will do it for me :razz: We are leaving for a 2 week vacation in Hawaii soon and I almost positive I will come back engaged :love:

Awww that's great! I hope you do!!!

Today's just a bad day. I guess I'm frustrated by the fact that people who have been together less time than us, are getting engaged and even married before us. I logged on facebook today and yet another couple who got together nearly 2 years after us are now engaged. It's so frustrating. His sister met her fiance two years after my boyfriend and I started dating, got engaged at 10 months, and will likely be married before we are even engaged! And she's 3 years younger than us!

He knows I get sad when I see friends getting engaged before us, and I know it frustrates him that I'm upset. I've been trying to be cool about it, but it's hard.

I'm sure those of you who have been with your SO for 6 years have experienced this plenty of times!

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
blossom1322|1301773402|2886073 said:
I'll admit to being the sort of person who does this. As a LIW, I assume it's probably a favor, and I'm not afraid of being a little short of polite :Up_to_something:

NCSUchick27

Shiny_Rock
SO and I have been together for 4 years and 3 months. The engagement should be happening sometime this year. I'm hoping for this summer.

lisalikessparkles

Rough_Rock
Is it SO comforting to hear I'm not the only one feeling this way!

Men have no idea.. waiting in Lady style is very very VERY hard on us !!

My SO and I have been together 3 years in July.. We've known each other for almost 7 now, so feels like alot longer.
Living together for 2 years...
Timeline well.. we were right on track.. I probably would be engaged right now if I hadn't of been such a brat - so demanding and impatient.
What a reality check: apparently if you put pressure on what sort of diamond, what size, what colour and what clarrity and when and how he should propose he starts thinking you're in it for the wrong reasons and digs the heels in..

I am literally kicking myself for being such a cow. I just got so caught up in everyone else being engaged I began to resent him thinking he didn't want to marry me. I'm 29 this year and he's already 30 so I really feel it's time. We had friends who met after us become engaged and now married also, which really was the twist of the dagger!!
I completely understand why he put the hold on, but after alot of work and time and effort on our part to rebuild our relationship after that rocky time we are happier than ever, so it was worth it to put our cards on the table.

I am really hoping it happens before our anniversary, but we're buying a house so depends on loans and finance etc.

bluebell

Shiny_Rock
My BF and I have been together over 6 1/2 years, and our time line recently moved up! He told me he wants to be engaged by Christmas 2011 and even mentioned getting a ring this summer . :appl: I know it will be here before I know it.

asymons412

Shiny_Rock
Together for 7 years on April 12th. We've lived together for a year now; based on all of his hint's, I'm hoping for/expecting a proposal during our anniversary getaway April 22nd! It's been a long time coming... :twirl:

asymons412

Shiny_Rock
faded264|1301775515|2886085 said:
He knows I get sad when I see friends getting engaged before us, and I know it frustrates him that I'm upset. I've been trying to be cool about it, but it's hard.

I'm sure those of you who have been with your SO for 6 years have experienced this plenty of times!

Gosh, do I know the feeling! In addition to everyone I know (lol), a couple that we frequently go out with just got engaged and is already wrapped up in wedding planning! They've been together for a few years less than we have... It's really tough. I'm trying so hard to be patient. ;(

snoopkat

Shiny_Rock
We'll be celebrating our 4 year anniversary this week and I'm hoping for an engagement then, though he said it's not gonna happen until we go away for our holiday in June (we've already bought the ring and he asked my parents for their blessing last night :appl: :appl: :appl: ) i'm kinda hoping that he's using the holiday as a way to throw me off the scent and will pop the question this week. On the one hand, I'm excited but I've read so many threads here about engagement disappointment that I don't want to get my hopes up. I don't think he'll make me wait 2 months, especially when he's got the ring and my parents' blessing, but who knows?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results