shape
carat
color
clarity

Another new guy starting the hunt

affguy

Shiny_Rock
Looking for some advice on finding the perfect engagement ring, and in exchange for your expertise, I'll try to be more amusing than annoying. :)

I was already planning on popping the question to my girlfriend of 5 years, and then she started “applying pressure” (mostly joking) when all of the girls at her work got engaged, like literally 7 of them are currently engaged. I admitted that the thought is at least on my mind, and since the cat is mostly out of the bag, I might as well feel out her preferences on rings. So far we've had several extended discusions and have hit up a couple mall stores just to put something tangible to the four C’s. I’ve got a little time (several weeks) before I could possibly pull the trigger, and awhile (several months) before I absolutely must in order to fit into my proposal schedule. Since she has to wear the ring, it’s important that she love it, but since I have to pay for it, I figure I should at least like it. So what we’ve learned thus far…

• Cut: Must be square-ish or cut-corner square. Princess, radiant, lucida, flanders etc. Many radiants seem to be rectangular, we want length and width to be similar enough to appear square. Searching for that seems to be a manual process, checking dimensions one by one. She doesn’t like emerald or asscher’s cuts, “too geometric”
• Bonus points from both of us for an internal pattern along the lines of hearts & arrows…not required, but certainly pretty.
• You know how some princess cuts seem to have a *lot* of little white sparkles (makes me think of Marilyn Monroe flash) whereas others seem to have fewer, but deeper/stronger and more colorful sparkles? Either seems to work for her, but the latter is preferred by me. The non-princess squares seem more attractive for this reason, but I did see a couple princesses that worked too.
• Size: Hmm…probably somewhere in the 0.9-1.1 range, 0.75 and 1.25 are probably the outside limits with branded and second-hand possibilities on the table. On a quality vs size debate, I’m further in the quality camp, but she’s at least on that side of the fence. Facing up bigger is more important to her, given the number of rings currently surrounding her and the assumption that girls truly dress/accessorize for each other, so I’m guessing VS1-2 and G-H would be good, with SI1 and I at a stretch and the tiniest chance at an underpriced F VVS2.
• Setting: X-prong, or very similar, white gold is fine, platinum is nice too. 
• Budget: 5k at a maximum, including setting. Preferred would be 3-4k.

I’ve found a few stones on WF and BG that seemed to be along these lines, square-ish radiants without mention of any patterns, and it’s tough to guess what kind of color/sparkle one would get off these. Do the above criteria sound workable or am I in la-la land for my budget? Where would you look for some of the more “exotic” cut corners, e.g. flanders, H&A, lucida, etc. if you were hoping to find them in a blue-collar price range?

E B

Ideal_Rock
Hi affguy!

If you want a square-ish shape with an internal H&A pattern, what do you think of the Square Cushion H&A? Here's one in your budget that fits most of what you're looking for if you're okay with the color. The measurements are comparable to a princess of the same ct. weight.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7909/

affguy

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the response! We did look at one cushion cut, but it was more rectangular/oval than square and I didn't get "warm fuzzies" from her on it. I'll try to find out if that was due to the oblong shape of that particular stone or the rounded corners in general.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
affguy|1298064495|2854969 said:
Looking for some advice on finding the perfect engagement ring, and in exchange for your expertise, I'll try to be more amusing than annoying. :)

I was already planning on popping the question to my girlfriend of 5 years, and then she started “applying pressure” (mostly joking) when all of the girls at her work got engaged, like literally 7 of them are currently engaged. I admitted that the thought is at least on my mind, and since the cat is mostly out of the bag, I might as well feel out her preferences on rings. So far we've had several extended discusions and have hit up a couple mall stores just to put something tangible to the four C’s. I’ve got a little time (several weeks) before I could possibly pull the trigger, and awhile (several months) before I absolutely must in order to fit into my proposal schedule. Since she has to wear the ring, it’s important that she love it, but since I have to pay for it, I figure I should at least like it. So what we’ve learned thus far…

• Cut: Must be square-ish or cut-corner square. Princess, radiant, lucida, flanders etc. Many radiants seem to be rectangular, we want length and width to be similar enough to appear square. Searching for that seems to be a manual process, checking dimensions one by one. She doesn’t like emerald or asscher’s cuts, “too geometric”
• Bonus points from both of us for an internal pattern along the lines of hearts & arrows…not required, but certainly pretty.
she does not also find the very regular internal patterning of H&A like square H&A cushion too geometric?
• You know how some princess cuts seem to have a *lot* of little white sparkles (makes me think of Marilyn Monroe flash) whereas others seem to have fewer, but deeper/stronger and more colorful sparkles? Either seems to work for her, but the latter is preferred by me. The non-princess squares seem more attractive for this reason, but I did see a couple princesses that worked too.
yes. If princess then 2chevron over say 4ch - fewer pavilion facets, fewer facets + same size stone = larger facets = more big bold flashes of colour.
• Size: Hmm…probably somewhere in the 0.9-1.1 range, 0.75 and 1.25 are probably the outside limits with branded and second-hand possibilities on the table. On a quality vs size debate, I’m further in the quality camp, but she’s at least on that side of the fence. Facing up bigger is more important to her, given the number of rings currently surrounding her and the assumption that girls truly dress/accessorize for each other, so I’m guessing VS1-2 and G-H would be good, with SI1 and I at a stretch and the tiniest chance at an underpriced F VVS2.
• Setting: X-prong, or very similar, white gold is fine, platinum is nice too. 
$1300 plat, $900 wg, leaving ~4k max for stone preferably 3k
• Budget: 5k at a maximum, including setting. Preferred would be 3-4k.

I’ve found a few stones on WF and BG that seemed to be along these lines, square-ish radiants without mention of any patterns, and it’s tough to guess what kind of color/sparkle one would get off these. Do the above criteria sound workable or am I in la-la land for my budget? Where would you look for some of the more “exotic” cut corners, e.g. flanders, H&A, lucida, etc. if you were hoping to find them in a blue-collar price range?

0.85 F VS2 ACA princess $3.9k http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-2594756.htm
0.8 G VS2 AGS0 princess $2.9k http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8009/
1.01 H VS2 radiant $4.2k http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut-loose-diamond-373352.htm

affguy

Shiny_Rock
Yssie|1298069819|2855018 said:
she does not also find the very regular internal patterning of H&A like square H&A cushion too geometric?
Apparently not. She didn't seem to like H&A when I showed it to her online, but she definitely liked it when she looked through a scope at one. I think it's the concentric nature of the emerald/asscher shelves that gets her.

Yssie|1298069819|2855018 said:
yes. If princess then 2chevron over say 4ch - fewer pavilion facets, fewer facets + same size stone = larger facets = more big bold flashes of colour.
Could you explain this more? It sounds like it's probably very interesting to those who know what you mean by chevrons. :oops: :twirl: Honestly, this might be the key vulnerability in my plan to buy online...I don't have the knowledge to imagine how a set of numbers on a grading sheet will sparkle on her hand. It has to be quite pretty to stand up to the company it'll be travelling with. :love:

Thanks!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
princess intro tutorial here: https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/princess-cut-diamond
may as well check out what they have to say on other shapes whilst you're there.

Fancy shape (that is, anything but 57facet rounds) are difficult to buy online b/c the numbers - well, don't mean much. Beyond a few basics, you really need A) a pair of professional eyes, B) to see them yourself in-person, C) to get lots of photos/light reflector technology images, D) video, or preferably some combination of the above. W/ princesses AGS makes your job easier by grading cut just like they do for rounds, so AGS0 princesses are a quick and dirty way to start weeding.. but you'll be paying a premium for the AGS0 "brand" and you might be missing out on some GIA graded beauties - you just don't know.

My recommendation is to talk to a few vendors and have them hunt for you.. hopefully someone w/ more knowledge about hunting for fancies will see this thread soon.

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
I just bought a square shaped august vintage stone from good old gold. Everyone who has seen it has remarked that they have never seen anything quite like it. Its a trademark of Good Old Gold so most likely very few of her friends would have anything like it. The facets create these big bold flashes of light causing it to give off so much fire and sparkle. It may be over your budget but I thought id throw it out there in case you liked it. :) :)

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8044/

affguy

Shiny_Rock
slg47|1298077012|2855109 said:
what about the jubilee or princess of hearts? those don't have the rounded edges like the SCHA

http://vimeo.com/3203399

or the lucere?

http://vimeo.com/19766698

All three seem to be good options, I particularly like the online pictures I've seen of Lucere's. My suspicion is I could only afford one of these if second-hand.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
affguy|1298143274|2855510 said:
slg47|1298077012|2855109 said:
what about the jubilee or princess of hearts? those don't have the rounded edges like the SCHA

http://vimeo.com/3203399

or the lucere?

http://vimeo.com/19766698

All three seem to be good options, I particularly like the online pictures I've seen of Lucere's. My suspicion is I could only afford one of these if second-hand.

maybe call GOG and see what they can get in in your budget/specs?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results