shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond does not match certificate

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I lost a small stone from my setting. When I dropped it at a local jeweler to have it replaced they measured my center stone. The measurement was off. Certificate said 6.76 measured twice by two different people at 6.68. I asked for appraisal because ring is new and hadn't received second appraisal since purchase in another state. All measurements came back different (slightly). Jeweler said because of setting the stone was easy to measure. More importantly the color grade came back three levels lower and the clarity grade one level lower. Have bad feeling in stomach about stone... Seeking second appraisal. How common for this to all be different..?.
:confused:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
6.76 and 6.68 are not very different.

Rounds can vary that much, it depends where exactly it was measured.

I think "perfectly" round diamonds, at least those that measure the same out to three significant figures, are unusual.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What kind of lab report does it have? GIA and AGS are reliable. Color grade would never be 3 grades lower. So I am guessing this is not a GIA or AGS graded stone???

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
EGL. I am more concerned with the difference in color and clarity. The missed measurement on all three measurements raid my eyebrows a bit. Just sick about this.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An EGL stone being over-graded by 3 grades compared to GIA/AGS standards is not surprising.

Unfortunately they get away with it.
So a search on this topic here.
Tons and tons have been written about it.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are the measurements off too on their certificates? I am getting the sinking feeling my fiancé overpaid for something he didn't get.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mayk|1297569127|2850543 said:
Are the measurements off too on their certificates? I am getting the sinking feeling my fiancé overpaid for something he didn't get.

I assume the measurements are on an EGL report.

Don't worry, EGLs are price under GIAs.
Actually you kind of get what you pay for.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I feel worse than when I knocked the stone out. Thank you. The posts i looked up on egl also made me feel worse. Based on what I have seen today. He overpaid. Not he got what he paid for. :cry:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
So you know what he paid for the stone and looked up comparable EGL stones on the pricescope search? EGL stones are prices lower than GIA and AGS. If your fiance bought the diamond at a store and not online, you need to add 20% - 50% above the online prices you see to know the fair market value. You pay more for goods from B&M stores than from online.

Typically the diameter of the stone is an average of a large number of measurements, and since diamonds are not round, unless the measurments taken by the jewelers you saw were at the same 4 places on the stone you are unlikely to get the exact same measurement. Yours are within the realm of error that I would find acceptabel.. You can confirm that your diamond matches the cert NOT by having others assess the color or clarity when the stone is set (which is HIGHLY innacurate and should be given little or no heed)., but rather by having a trained independent (i.e., does not sell diamonds) appraiser compare the clarity characteristics of your diamond to the clarity plot on the cert. THAT will tell you if the diamond is what you bought. Most likely it is the same stone, switching is very uncommon.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mayk|1297569643|2850548 said:
I think I feel worse than when I knocked the stone out. Thank you. The posts i looked up on egl also made me feel worse. Based on what I have seen today. He overpaid. Not he got what he paid for. :cry:

If it is any consolation many, if not most, people do overpay if they didn't stumble upon Pricescope first.
Like DD said, matching inclusions to those plotted on the grading report is the best way to verify a stone matches a report.
Inclusions are usually unique, like fingerprints.

Cabochon1

Shiny_Rock
I think the diffrence is very big. Even with my household equipment I dont have these huge differences in measurement. I know that EGL isn't very well respected here but I have never heard that they didn't measure the stones correctly.

Doesn't EGL also laser inscribe their diamonds? Isn't it worth checking wether this is the right diamond?

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Traded the diamond in today. Traded up to AGS diamond with the same jeweler. Paid more but feel more comfortable now with better understanding of the significant differences of labs and grading. Diamond buying is not for the faint of heart. Thank you for the unbiased education.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well terrific! Was it an AGS Ideal or Excellent cut??? I am so glad you found this forum while you still could trade in your stone for a better one!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ags #0004004304
ideal.

So excited!!!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
do you have pictures? so glad you have a diamond you are more happy with :)

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not yet....two weeks i have to send it back to have halo changed to fit new stone

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well.. I received the new ring yesterday...it's beautiful.. and I would love to post a picture but clearly I am PriceScope challenged.... it doesn't like my jpeg.... will have to read more about it later and try and post a picture.. :read: :???:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
the results... thank you so much for the advise... suggestions and endless information I was able to gain from this website... I really appreciate the time and passions of the knowlegable people who post here... :appl: :love:

halo.GIF

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats on your new diamond. Looks perfect!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You did really well by finding out what was going on early. Getting the stone traded back for a properly graded and finely cut stone was an excellent move on your part and worth extra money for just the peace of mind, let alone for getting a better diamond. I wish more consumers would wake up and catch the misrepresentation that is going on based on bad documents floating around.

Careful buyers must be made clearly aware that not all paperwork is the same quality and that some retailers will put all the grading accuracy responsibility onto the lab report to avoid totally their own responsibility. Most of these sales people know exactly what they are doing to consumers. It is most unfortunate. When the scam no longer works, the rip-off will slowly end.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results