shape
carat
color
clarity

Not sure if I got a good diamond

jsarratt

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I picked up a round 1.28 ct G SI1 this last weekend for $3900. the depth is 59% but the table is 64%. I new about depth but did not know about table. I think maybe I got taken. your thoughts.

Jeff

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even for an EGL graded diamond, the price seems fair. The cut is definitely no good. What are you expecting for your $3900, exactly...? An ideal cut, GIA/AGS graded G SI1 is going to cost more than double what you paid.

jsarratt

Rough_Rock
Thanks. But your answer seems quite snobby. "even an EGL..." I am looking for someone to explain what one can expect from a 64% table and if the average person can really tell.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She did not mean that they way you may have taken it. EGL stones are known to be loosely graded, so you can estimate that it is a couple grades lower in color and clarity. A 64 table is very large compared to an excellent cut stone, and I believe it will mean brightness (reflecting a lot of white light) without a lot of sparkle. If you saw it and thought it was beautiful, then that's really what counts! =)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto Julie, in the primary market you always get what you pay for in this industry - if there were once fantastic deals to be had, they're all long gone by now!

Could I see the difference, and would it bother me? Yes, and yes, because I have a personal preference for as small a table as I can get. Can you see the difference, and would it bother you? We can't answer that. Take your stone to your local jeweller and compare against stones of various proportions, ask to see some GIA EXs and AGS0s, and let your eyes judge if they like what they see.

Without more info we can't tell you much - a stone w/ 64table may have proportions eligible for AGS0 cut grade.

jsarratt

Rough_Rock
Thank you. I looked at many stones at many different places and this diamond really looked nice. It had a lot of fire and brightness.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
You get what you pay for, and in this case you got lots of carat for your money most likely at the expense of cut quality. Did it come with a lab report? If not then you cannot really know for sure it is a G SI1 and so assessing its value is difficult.

jsarratt

Rough_Rock
yes it is an EGL cert.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
jsarratt|1296856858|2843292 said:
yes it is an EGL cert.

So then you know it is an EGL G/SI1 and can look for comparables to know if the price is fair.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jsarratt|1296849027|2843140 said:
Hi All,

I picked up a round 1.28 ct G SI1 this last weekend for $3900. the depth is 59% but the table is 64%. I new about depth but did not know about table. I think maybe I got taken. your thoughts.

Jeff
64% don't look good... :knockout:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results