shape
carat
color
clarity

To Kindle or not to Kindle?

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
That is my question....

I belong to a little local book club with a great group of ladies. All are FAR more voracious readers than I am, so I'm trying to catch up.
What often happens is I either delay going to Borders to buy the book or order on-line and it takes a while before I get it. I lose precious reading time. I think half of the time I've gone to meetings it's without having finished the book.

Three times in the last week I've added the 3G Kindle to my cart on Amazon and then I empty the cart. It's the $$ and then it's not the $$. I can spend the same amount on one splurge at Target and feel no remorse (although Bounty and cat food is hardly a splurge!) And I have the extra money, but I wonder is it really worth it if I only end up reading one book a month? I used to love reading but so many other things have gotten in the way and now most days magazines are as deep as my reading gets. At first I thought it would encourage me to read more but then I worry I really will only use it for that month's selection and it would take A LOT of paperbacks to equal the cost of a Kindle, cover w/light and then a zip around protective case for the whole thing so it doesn't get trashed in my bag or my car.

Some of my book club friends have Kindles, some do not. So the Kindle-Kooks (my nickname for them) are saying "go, go, go" and my old-school friends say "why change now?"

Today I went to Staples and happened across the standard wireless model- I kept going back and picking it up. It's amazing how thin & light weight it is. I keep thinking about how this month's selection would've been free (The Last Man by Mary Shelley,) but instead I found a copy on ebay this morning and paid for expedited shipping so I wouldn't get it 3 days before our next meeting. I imagine all the things I could get instantly & read at a moment's whim and then think of un-used exercise equipment, the knitting kit I bought, cookie cutters for those great treats decorated with royal icing that go unused and I wonder if there's a pattern here of buying things for a life I simply do not live.

I know there are FAR worse problems to have but does anyone care to weigh in with an opinion?

TIA!

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
Kindle! and don't look back :bigsmile:

I love mine and take it everywhere. I only wish that I had bought one sooner.
I have RA and I find it easier than reading an actual book. lightweight and no fumbling with pages :wacko:

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Kindle! Kindle! Kindle!

I was the anti-Kindle until my FI received one for Christmas.

It's been 6 weeks and I can't imagine life without it. I downloaded more than 400 books, converted them to Kindle format and have been racing through them ever since. I take it absolutely everywhere! I even bought a new handbag so that my Kindle can fit into it comfortably. I read while waiting in the doctor's office, while having my morning coffee, while waiting in a queue at the traffic department/the post office... The list is endless!

I never knew how much free time I actually had until I started reading on the Kindle.

Get one! Trust me, you won't regret it!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I have a question regarding the screen. Does it strain your eyes like a computer monitor would? that's my main concern in getting one since i'm on my laptop so much as it is...

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
ForteKitty|1297064380|2845422 said:
I have a question regarding the screen. Does it strain your eyes like a computer monitor would? that's my main concern in getting one since i'm on my laptop so much as it is...

Unlike your laptop, which is backlit, the Kindle uses e-ink. It's amazing, it really is like reading an actual book. You can even read it in direct sunlight.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get one! They're awesome! :bigsmile:

I didn't think I needed one either . . . and then DH got me one for Christmas. Now, I don't think I could live WITHOUT one! They are soooo convenient! Many books are free, and they literally download in under a minute (usually more like 10 seconds or so). The e-ink screen doesn't strain your eyes at all. And I have the lighted cover you mentioned as well. I got the blue one and I love it! Keeps the Kindle from getting banged up and the light is plenty bright so that I can see to read in bed, but dim enough that it doesn't bother DH while he's trying to sleep. Definitely recommend! =)

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, ya' all sold me! I'm ordering one tomorrow. Thanks so much (and my book club says "thanks" too, now I'll actually have the books read in time for our meetings.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
fountainfairfax|1297829751|2852907 said:
Ok, ya' all sold me! I'm ordering one tomorrow. Thanks so much (and my book club says "thanks" too, now I'll actually have the books read in time for our meetings.
:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

You'll love it!
I don't know how she does it, but my sister signs herself in on my kindle, downloads the books of *hers* that I want to read, signs out, and then when I sign back in HER books are on MY Kindle. It's amazing!

Oh, and I highly recommend buying a nice, fabric cover. It will make it feel so much more like reading a "real" book. I really disliked my Kindle until I got my cover.
I bought a cover from Elizabeth David Designs on Etsy, and I think a couple other PSers bought theirs from her too after I posted about it. They're beautiful! I think they're a bit pricier now . . .
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ElizabethDavidDesign

mrswahs

Shiny_Rock
I *love* my Kindle 3! And I agree the cover really makes it feel more like a book. It's so easy on the eyes and so convenient to have a little library with you at all times :)

ladidalola

Shiny_Rock
I used to be such an old school purist when it came to books, but ever since I my friend got me a Kindle, I can't imagine my life without it! I carry my entire library around with me! It's just so AWESOME! :)

I upgraded to the new paperwhite and I'm loving the lighted screen :) It doesn't strain my eyes like a computer screen does but it's convenient for reading everywhere, especially in poorly lit areas! :)

Bella432

Rough_Rock
That is awesome, you will love it! I'm an old nut when it comes to trying new technology, but my husband ordered one for both of us back when they first came out, just the cheapest version. I love it! I bought a rechargable light to go with it (so much better than constantly going through batteries). I just came home the other day to a package in the mail, hubby spoiled me again and bought the new kindle paper-white or paper-light version? I don't know, but he assured me it was the cheapest one again, but it's backlit.. but not like a comptuer screen it's so weird, I can read it at night time with no light but it's not bright! It's finger-touch like an iphone, and since I read in bed it's a win for my hub since there is no clicking beside his head with every page turn, yet it's a not-so-win for me because I read lying down and it's a little difficult to hold now becuase if I fall asleep reading I rub my fingers against the screen. I'm sure I will get used to it!

So... anyone looking to purchase a lightly used first gen kindle? :lol:

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Yes yes yes.

As a tech and reading junkie, I'm on my 3rd Kindle because I can't help upgrading (yes, I love them that much - each new model more than the last). I had the Kindle 2 with the keyboard, then the Kindle 3, and now the Kindle Paperwhite. Only the Kindle 2 had 3G; the other two are Wi-fi only models.

So my reasons for the Kindle:

1) The newest one is super super light, and is front-lit. What this means is that you don't need a separate reading light which will cast an uneven glow on the screen, but because it's front-lit, not backlit, it doesn't strain your eyes. The screen is still e-ink, and you can adjust the light strength through about 20 gradations.

2) I personally love the Amazon case that comes with it, because it has a magnetic clasp (no cords), and it puts your Kindle on standby when you close the cover. I swipe across the screen after opening the cover to wake it up. Super fast, super easy.

3) Wi-fi is sufficient for me. I generally download my books beforehand (or get them on my iPhone Kindle app first if I'm in a place with no Wi-fi access). You don't really need the 3G unless you don't have a ready source of Wi-fi at home or work.

4) I was one of those hardcore "I love hardcopy books" people, but the convenience and weight of the Kindle totally converted me. I'm a big rereader, so having 400+ books on hand is fantastic. Also, you can do Audible and have audiobooks on there.

No I am not an Amazon or Kindle spokesperson, but I do love my Kindle THAT much. :)

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
I'm glad this thread was revived!

I love my kindle, and it doesn't need to be upgraded- it's great! But eventually, I am sure it will need to be retired and I really love not have a backlit screen. I find it much better to read, so I was concerned that all the new model had backlit screens like tablets. So glad to know that's not the case!

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love my Kindle!!!! Glad you took the plunge - I got one for Christmas a few years ago, and I have to say it took me a year to really start using it. I couldn't get used to the feel of it - it just didn't feel right. But I also got a cover for it, which did help, and I think I just kind of got used to the feel of it. The convenience of it is unbeatable!

I have the kindle app for my ipad too, but I much prefer to use the kindle for reading. I have the touch (which seems to be the older paperwhite) and I love that it isn't backlit and it's just so lightweight! I think now that I can order a book in a few seconds at any time of day, I would have a hard time returning to the idea of having to drive to the bookstore to get a book. That sounds pretty ridiculous even as I write it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results