shape
carat
color
clarity

too much?

irosales77

Rough_Rock
I am getting my FI ring appraised and I was quoted at 200. Is that too much for an appraisal?

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I think it depends on who is doing the appraisal and what they are doing. It is an independent appraiser or a jewelry store? It it a loose stone, set ring, antique?

irosales77

Rough_Rock
It is an independent appraiser and it is a set stone..

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well how expensive is your piece, and how detailed will the appraisal be, and how reputable/established is the appraiser/service? Depending on all of these it does not sound unreasonable to me.

I paid about $200 for my last set stone appraisal (about a year ago), I anticipate paying the same or more when I get my ring back in a few weeks.

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
I paid $120, 2 years ago, and my guy put together a great presentation. (he spent over 2 hours, answering my questions, looking at my ring and center stone and even took a photo). He worked for GIA, so he was very knowledgeable and a blast to talk to. He even put it into a plastic sleeve for me.
$200 sounds a little high. but not terrible.

2.03 appraisal 3.JPG

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
It also depends on where the office is. An appraiser in a big city with higher overhead is going to charge more for the same service than one in a small town.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1296675605|2840902 said:
Well how expensive is your piece, and how detailed will the appraisal be, and how reputable/established is the appraiser/service? Depending on all of these it does not sound unreasonable to me.

I paid about $200 for my last set stone appraisal (about a year ago), I anticipate paying the same or more when I get my ring back in a few weeks.

yssie where is your ring?

also, OP, $200 seems reasonable for a detailed independent appraisal

Luminous-MB

Rough_Rock
Trade
All the factors stated above will play into the price you pay for an appraisal. So now you have to look into what that appraiser is offering and see if it is up to par with what you need and want and if it's comparable to the price he or she is charging. An appraisal is an important document specially if you're planning to insure your ring.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
slg47|1296680952|2841006 said:
Yssie|1296675605|2840902 said:

yssie where is your ring?

also, OP, $200 seems reasonable for a detailed independent appraisal

slg - it's back w/ WF for a mini-makeover - thinning out the gallery (I learnt that that's what those crossbars across the sidestones are called today!) and a few adjustments to the prongs, nothing drastic. And possibly a matching wedding band, the colour difference is *still* bugging me, if the quote is reasonable! ::)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results