shape
carat
color
clarity

Pink Diamond vd Pink Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

limey

Shiny_Rock
Hi

What are the visual differences between a same size and similar intensity pink diamond vs pink sapphire? (Apart from the money left in my bank account) Assuming the pink diamond is eye-clean?

cheers

Limey

HA! VD should be VS...

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

----------------
On 5/15/2004 12:20:31 PM limey wrote:

Hi

What are the visual differences between a same size and similar intensity pink diamond vs pink sapphire? (Apart from the money left in my bank account) Assuming the pink diamond is eye-clean?

cheers

Limey

HA! VD should be VS...
----------------

Hi Limey:

Diamond has a very high refractive index and strong dispersion, which gives it great fire and brilliance. The refractive index for Pink Sapphire is lower and it has less dispersion, which translates to optically not performing as well as a diamond. /www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

A gem quality Pink Sapphire well cut is a very brilliant gemstone, but will not possess the same fire as Diamond. In describing fire I am referring to the colors of the rainbow seen viewing from the top of the crown looking into the stone in natural daylight. When viewing sunlight hitting a diamond, the colors of the rainbow will appear on the surfaces around you.

I think the most vivvid intense pink diamond can't touch the color saturation pink sapphires can possess. I think it depends on your priorities. If your looking to say you have a very rare pink diamond which will ultimately have greater dispersion thats great. but if it's color and the intense saturation of color your looking for, pink sapphire is your best alternative.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Josh,

Well said! You are becoming quite a gemmologist.

I think this is the file I want, will see when the picture prints...

If you ever see a diamond with this kind of intense color, you are probably at the home of Royalty.

Wink

Pink-Sapphire1_57cts.jpg

pulp_princess

Shiny_Rock
*Sigh!*
love.gif
Very pretty, Wink!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, even that intense, pink diamonds are often forgiven for color detractions (gray undertone, zoning...) that would not be for pink sapphire. I bet there is an exception to everything, though. However, until I get to see the perfect pink diamond, there is little that can compete with sapphire for pink
1.gif
Just my 0.2, as usual...

Also, even if diamond's optical properties are better the colored ones are not often (if ever) cut to show brilliance, but to deepen the color and, more importantly, keep weight on. Yellows may get cut for brilliance, but a strong pink ? Not that I know of.

If one wants to hunt down the ultimate in color intensity and brilliance in a pink gem - that would be pink spinel. With some hair-splitting physical advantage (less birefringence than sapphire), spinel get more fiery and the pinks are just as pink
2.gif

limey

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the great advice everyone. I will keep looking and thinking and learning! I am still leaning towards a pink diamond. This will be for a right hand ring, a very special something for my wife to give to our second daughter eventually. A smallish pink diamond coupled with a very white and "rare" H&A D, IF/VVS of the same size in a 2-stone ring similar to a british style e-ring.

Limey

mogok

Shiny_Rock
Hello,
well I perfectly agree with Ana and Josh.

Just to remind you how a pink spinel can be, here is one of my favorite burmese spinel picture...

All the best,

spinelsnamya.jpg

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
Isn't Burma one of those questionable countries when dealing with the government and it's exports?

Anywhoo... besides the refractive difference between diamonds and gemstones, aren't there hardness differences just as in CZ's vs diamonds?

katbadness

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 5/17/2004 2:25:39 PM verticalhorizon wrote:

Isn't Burma one of those questionable countries when dealing with the government and it's exports?

Anywhoo... besides the refractive difference between diamonds and gemstones, aren't there hardness differences just as in CZ's vs diamonds?----------------

VH,
Here's an article about US banning products from Myanmar.

And yes, the refractive index and hardness difference applies to CZs vs. diamonds as well. I don't know the specifics, though.
rolleyes.gif

mogok

Shiny_Rock
That's right there is a US ban on products from Burma...
Its stupid but its like that.
Burmese government can continue to make money, small gem dealer suffer not to see anymore their US buyers.
But the ban does not looks to affect the things that much. I think that if a US customer want to get a fine burmese stone, he will not have any problem to get it. Now it seems that its more headhake for the US people who were wishing to buy in order to sell within the US.
Whatever, bans never stop the gemstone trade. They only kill small traders or make them killed or go to jail when they try to continue their activities...

Anyway...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 5/17/2004 10:31:45 PM mogok wrote:

That's right there is a US ban on products from Burma...
Its stupid but its like that.

----------------

Funny enough, but most dictatorships resist by restricting the free movement of goods and people. Same as trade bans, only from the other side.

One gets a very different view on this from the US academia than the department of trade... for what's each worth.

Anyway, this being a gem forum, here's one Q: do pink diamonds ever get THAT pink? from what I know, such color would be dubbed 'red' in a diamond. Am I wrong?

With these in mind, ging for best color would not lead to a colored diamond - although those clearly have their appeal as the most up-to-date collectable curiosity... of course

mogok

Shiny_Rock
Ana, as usual you are right to the pinpoint...

All the best,

limey

Shiny_Rock
Actually that much color is not important. I am definately going for the "special" factor and I prefer the look of diamonds. Of the colored diamonds Pink (not purple-pink) or Cognac or Cinnamon are colors my wife would adore, how do I know? Well, these are the colors of lipstick she wears
2.gif

I do not like that they are so trendy now - and tied to sport stars cheating (Beckham, Bryant) and of course J-Lo. But without such newsworthy coverage I would not have known they existed. Playing into this is a potential good offer on a pink diamond from a some-time participant on this board. I approached him when I realized he specialized in colored gems. I say potential because I am waiting on a written appraisal after viewing the stone yesterday.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 5/18/2004 3:05:11 PM limey wrote:

But without such newsworthy coverage I would not have known they existed.

----------------

See ?

This is why I am typing all that spinel hype! Maybe one day my favorite things would get the hype too
9.gif

Best of luck with your purchase, of course
1.gif
!

zeytoun

Rough_Rock
Regarding other differences between diamonds and sapphires:

Diamonds are harder than Corrundum (sapphire/ruby), so your diamond would only get scratched by another diamond, and it is easier to scratch a sapphire or ruby. On the hardness scale, diamond ranks 10, and I believe corrundum and some other stones (like topaz) are a 9. So a sapphire usually won't be scratched by normal wear. As for toughness, diamonds are rated only good accross cleavage planes, which means that if you through a diamond against a concrete floor or smack it with a hammer, you might chip, break, or shatter it. Corrundum is rated as excellent in toughness, and stands a good chance at surviving such abuse.

Both gems make great ring stones, but I would say that corrundum is the ideal ring stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results