shape
carat
color
clarity

This new member needs help with deciding on a setting

Rno

Rough_Rock
Hi, this is my first post here but I've been lurking a bit during my search of a diamond. I finally found (and got) what I was looking for: a good cut, good quality stone of .2 ct. My homework paid off when I unpacked the little gem and saw eight arrows and four hearts on it. If the rules allow, I'd be happy to post whom I got it from (online).

Anyway, now I need to have it set in my existing wedding band. I am a male, and I want a very inconspicuous setting. My previous band had a .24ct stone added, and I somewhat liked that setting (pictures below if I find out how to post them), but I lost the ring.

I am between a half bezel, a full bezel (least favored option), a tucked-in setting (how to call it?) like my old ring had, and a 4-prong setting. Or maybe you have a new idea for me?

BTW, my band is 4mm wide and 2mm thick. The stone is 3.83 x 2.33mm.

I would want the stone to be as deeply set in as possible, nothing protruding more than necessary. If the culotte would poke my finger, I'd have something added inside the ring to create distance rather than have the stone raised.

My objective is to cover the girdle to the least amount necessary but still have it solidly set so I can't rip it out. I appreciate any suggestions or advice you could give me.

PS: how can I get that tiny stone cleaned? Whatever I do, there are always dust specs at best.

.2FIF.JPG

brillant setting-l.JPG

tuck.jpg

halfbezel2.JPG

Rno

Rough_Rock
Oops, my favorite 4-prong setting didn't get added to the images. Here it is now, and I also found it here on PS:

4prong1.jpg

Lula

Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the half bezel one the most. Not sure who makes that ring,though. Did you read who the maker is when you copied the pictures?

Rno

Rough_Rock
Lula, I like those, and if I were to have a new ring made, I'd go with one of those designs (my favorite is the third one). However, one of the reasons why I limited myself to .2 ct is that this means a ~2.3mm high stone, and I think I can just about get away with that height without needing a dome. Below is a rough to-scale drawing which shows that the stone will have to protrude a bit on top, but the girdle is still within reach for the ring to grab it (and definitely for prongs or a bezel). If at all necessary, I would rather add a little thickness inside the ring, suggested by the three horizontal lines, to create distance from the culet.

Diamondseeker, sorry, I don't know who made that ring. I would show my local goldsmith and ask him to do something similar.

20E-IF.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had this keystone ring from WF, although there is a ring similar to this on uniquesettings.com
maybe something similar? but raise the shoulder up to towards the semi bezel?

04.26.09%2000112s11.jpg
04.26.09%2000113.jpg

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
D&T, that is my favorite set of yours :)) .

Rno, I vote for a half-bezel setting, and I love the one D&T posted.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks Kittybean - although I did reset it, and got a different diamond but its a nice temp setting while it lasted ::) .

OP - I'm sorry I just reread that you are a male with .2ct ish diamond?

how bout something like this boonering?

http://www.boonerings.com/stone-settings/classicround.htm

Rno

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so far. Yes, I am a male and I am looking for a very, very simplistic, understated setting. Tension rings I like. I had a Pt one decades back and lost two stones from out of it. While I still love that design idea, I'm no longer willing to risk a third loss (particularly not with the stone I just found).

geckodani

Ideal_Rock

Attachments

• niwaka.bmp
    532.7 KB · Views: 566

Rno

Rough_Rock
That last one, geckodani, is one I had also seen (see picture #3 in my OP). Do you know how this setting is called?

The others are more embellished than I would want (or won't work as such with my ring/stone dimensions). Thank you, though!

Rno

Rough_Rock
Below is a sketch of another design idea I had earlier. Since my 18ct Y ring got pyramid-shaped indentations (Pyramids fascinate me), I thought creating a half-square bezel would nicely reflect that idea. The center corners of the bezels would be pretty much flush with the ring surface there and they would then follow the girdle of the stone, standing up from the outer edges of the ring (which has an oval cross-cut).

As a question to the experienced goldsmiths around here: would that be a good setting?

half-square bezel.jpg

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Rno|1295902953|2831706 said:
That last one, geckodani, is one I had also seen (see picture #3 in my OP). Do you know how this setting is called?

The others are more embellished than I would want (or won't work as such with my ring/stone dimensions). Thank you, though!

I am drawing a blank. I almost want to say it's like a single channel set stone. Bar set? Sheesh, after umpteen setting searches, I should know this stuff. :rodent:

ETA: Flush set? Someone put me out of my misery here.

Rno

Rough_Rock
So I spoke with a goldsmith today to discuss options on setting my stone in the existing band. He said he can do what I want: a most simple setting similar to the one shown below. He said he won't need much extra gold but will mostly spend time to get it done perfectly—and quoted $536. Gulp. From what I had experienced in the past, this sounds, er, beyond the high end of what I expected.

Am I way off and he is being reasonable, or did he reach too high, going by what I might have paid for my stone? Please advise!

tuck.jpg

Rno

Rough_Rock
geckodani|1295912310|2831931 said:
Rno|1295902953|2831706 said:

I am drawing a blank. I almost want to say it's like a single channel set stone. Bar set? Sheesh, after umpteen setting searches, I should know this stuff. :rodent:

ETA: Flush set? Someone put me out of my misery here.

So, in lack of the official term I am calling it a "flush half bezel with the band itself being the bezel" :mrgreen:

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I've seen them called faux-tension set rings. I have no idea if that's the techinical term! (Lord, we're really not too helpful today are we :tongue: ?)

ETA: Have you checked out Boonerings? They do fairly reasonably priced tension set rings- while I hear ya on having trouble with tension rings before, a properly made one should be secure; there's only maybe... 3?... companies that can do a real, solid tension setting and from what I hear, Boone is one of them. (Just throwing that out there, in case it's any help.)

ETA again :rolleyes: : It isn't *that* unusual for a major rework of an existing setting to cost about the same as getting another one. You can always try a few other jewelers, but cheapest work isn't always best, if you know what I mean. I'd probably try one or two other places that do have good work for quotes, and shop around for a new one too, to compare.

Rno

Rough_Rock
Oh, now I finally understand what ETA means, other than the original meaning of ETA ;-)

Yes, tension rings. I love their personality, and mine was probably not a well made one. Anyway, I am bound to have the diamond set in my existing wedding band, and that won't lend itself to a strong tension setting. So I have to "fake it", and therefore, your 'faux tension setting' is not far off really.

Rno

Rough_Rock
For the (happy) ending, click here.

For a teaser, see below.

set5-7.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results