shape
carat
color
clarity

Purchasing a Flawless diamond online

crazytrain

Rough_Rock
Hello,

Are there any caveats in buying a flawless diamond? I've seen diamonds marked as internally flawless (IF), but I was surprised when I came across a 0.5 carat FL diamond with E color that is being sold online. The cert says that has an excellent cut, polish, and symmetry. The price is decent, in fact it's a little cheaper than some IF diamonds of similar carat size.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the main consideration is to buy a stone that has a reputable grading lab certificate, and that would mainly be GIA or AGS. The other consideration is that the stone should be ideal or excellent cut, because that has far more to do with the beauty of the stone than the clarity. You can easily go to VS1 and see virtually no inclusions at 10 x magnification. So unless you just want IF because that is your preference, you can go lower (VVS to VS1) and see a perfectly clean stone.

It's always a good idea to post the stats on a stone here so that you can get some advice as to all the qualities of a stone.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1294780450|2820020 said:
I think the main consideration is to buy a stone that has a reputable grading lab certificate, and that would mainly be GIA or AGS. The other consideration is that the stone should be ideal or excellent cut, because that has far more to do with the beauty of the stone than the clarity. You can easily go to VS1 and see virtually no inclusions at 10 x magnification. So unless you just want IF because that is your preference, you can go lower (VVS to VS1) and see a perfectly clean stone.

It's always a good idea to post the stats on a stone here so that you can get some advice as to all the qualities of a stone.

Hi crazytrain,

Ditto diamondseeker, also if I remember rightly, once a flawless diamond is set it would then be considered internally flawless ( IF) due to the setting process. Do post all the information you have of the diamond here to include all the proportions from the grading report and type of grading report etc, plus any images if you have them. Then we can offer advice on the cut of the diamond to help you.

As DS also mentions, if you want flawless or IF for purity or cultural reasons that is fine, but you could lower the clarity and still have a very clean diamond, but that is a personal choice and if you want the highest clarity, then stick with that.

crazytrain

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply.

Here are the stats:

Price: $2,600
Shape: Round
Carat Weight: 0.52
Cut: Super Ideal
Color: E
Clarity: FL
Measurements: 5.20 x 5.18 x 3.18 mm
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Depth: 61.2%
Table: 57.0%
Girdle: Thin - Medium, Faceted
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None

I've also uploaded a copy of the GIA certification.

Thanks for all your help!

gia.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are welcome!

I wouldn't set a lot of store on the description ' super ideal' cut title as these adjectives are often used by vendors and don't always mean a diamond is cut to the very highest standards possible. However that does not mean to say it isn't a well cut diamond, but unfortunately I can't read the report, sorry to be a nuisance, but could you enlarge it or post all the info from the report here or link it please?

Also, do you have any images of this diamond such as Idealscope?

crazytrain

Rough_Rock
Thanks Lorelei. I must have messed up something when trying to upload the cert. Here it is again. (if that doesn't work, you can try here too.

Sorry, I don't have an idealscope. Would it be essential to get one before purchasing?

gia2.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you tell us the crown angle and pavilion angle? I just can't see the cert well enough. Looks good so far, though!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why do you want an FL diamond? If you are buying it as a collector item to sit in a velvet padded drawer - well, cut doesn't matter at all, beyond GIA's grading, so there is no point in worrying about it. The draw of a stone like that is the sheer rarity.

If you are buying it to set the novelty of having an FL will last only until the setter first places the stone into the cast, then clarity immediately drops to IF and IF is no more clean to eye or performance than a VS in this size range, so all stones can be evaluated the same way. Numbers are fine, if you are concerned about the nuances have your rep check it over/get scan & reflector technology images if you can. It's definitely eyeclean to whatever specifications you might have :rodent:

crazytrain

Rough_Rock
Yeah, it's hard to see. I zoomed up and it looks like the crown angle is 35 degrees, and the pavillion angle is 41 degrees.

What should these values be in general?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
crazytrain|1294790915|2820141 said:
Yeah, it's hard to see. I zoomed up and it looks like the crown angle is 35 degrees, and the pavillion angle is 41 degrees.

What should these values be in general?

They're fine.
Can you get more info, an in-person appraisal, pictures, a full scan..?

crazytrain

Rough_Rock
Yssie|1294790312|2820127 said:
Why do you want an FL diamond? If you are buying it as a collector item to sit in a velvet padded drawer - well, cut doesn't matter at all, beyond GIA's grading, so there is no point in worrying about it. The draw of a stone like that is the sheer rarity.

If you are buying it to set the novelty of having an FL will last only until the setter first places the stone into the cast, then clarity immediately drops to IF and IF is no more clean to eye or performance than a VS in this size range, so all stones can be evaluated the same way. Numbers are fine, if you are concerned about the nuances have your rep check it over/get scan & reflector technology images if you can. It's definitely eyeclean to whatever specifications you might have :rodent:

I was initially looking for an IF stone but came across this one. I've even come across some websites that don't even have an option to search for FL stones, only IF. So I was a little skeptical and wanted to consult with you folks.

My main purpose of searching for this stone is for symbolic purposes to signify quality and purity. I'm willing to settle on a high quality and smaller stone that would fit my price budget of $3k. My criteria is simple being that the diamond would be IF and mined in Canada. I've found in general that these stones are hard to come by, especially ones from Canada.

I appreciate the helpful response. I didn't know that setting a FL stone would downgrade it to IF. It's making me reconsider it and perhaps just getting an IF or VVS1 stone.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing wrong with wanting a pure, rare rock - an E IF certainly qualifies on that front 8)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results