shape
carat
color
clarity

Sugarloaf 3

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
I know, its lame! 8) It has been a long while and I just can't seem to find a pyramid stone with color (first I wanted cornflower blue, followed by spessatite garnet) and size to match my sugarloaf rings. Now that I have broadened my search to other shapes and color, I found this silver white clear moonstone! What do you gals and guys think? Would this work?

sugarloaf05.JPG

sugarloaf01.JPG

sugarloaf02.JPG

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
I think its pretty but not as dramatic in coloring as the two you have now.

lelser

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I agree. It's pretty, but not a good mate for the others.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Im not seeing the adularescence I want in a moonstone. the rectangular footprint makes it look more like a contrast to, rather than a mate with the others.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gaw! I'm still stuck on admiring the settings of your two rings - those are gorgeous!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
The stone is pretty and picks up the color of the others, but I would prefer a square instead of a rectangle.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
herekittykitty and VL,

I know I can depend on you guys to see whats missing! :bigsmile:

What do you think should be the dramatic color and shape for the 3rd stone? Any suggestions?

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
lelser|1294003686|2812547 said:
I agree. It's pretty, but not a good mate for the others.

Hi Lisa, welcome back! Read about your trip to Tanzania in GO. Can't wait to see all the goodies in your next mailing list!

What do you think in your opinion would be a good mate for the spinel and tsav? (I am still feeling bad about the spess)!

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1294005541|2812565 said:
Gaw! I'm still stuck on admiring the settings of your two rings - those are gorgeous!

Thank you, thats sweet of you!

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
I think a spess. There is a sugarloaf spess on Swala right now, have you looked at that one?

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
jstarfireb|1294006356|2812577 said:
The stone is pretty and picks up the color of the others, but I would prefer a square instead of a rectangle.

I know! I just can't seem to find a square with the appropriate size especially in the depth! :((

Anyone knows where I can find a square white moonstone with adularescence? It needs to have a depth of 6 - 6.5mm. :wavey:

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
herekittykitty|1294006701|2812585 said:
I think a spess. There is a sugarloaf spess on Swala right now, have you looked at that one?

Yes, one is too small and the other is too big! Both the spinel and tsav are from Eric too!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I love the stone but I don't see it as a match to your incredible sugarloaf's :love: Who did the setting on those?

My toe is for a spess or an ammy.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
these are what I mean by landscape jaspers

jasper1.jpg

jasper2.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I was also thinking that a loaf of unheated Tanzanite with strong pleochroism perhaps blue green and pink would be nice.

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with the others. Maybe spess, amethyst, or tanzanite... a sapphire would be nice. :naughty:

Have you thought about tourmaline? Maybe a nice indicolite. JKT helped me source mine, the vendor she works with had lots of tourmalines and one was a sugarloaf if I remember correctly (it's been almost a year).

The moonstone is beautiful but I don't think it really goes with your sugarloaves.

I hope you find what you're looking for. I got sick of trying to source a third stone for my project after two months (thankfully Julia came to my rescue). I can't imagine how you must feel!

Does the size and shape of the third stone have to match the others?

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I love moonstone but that shape/color isn't working with the others. Doesn't Swala have a spessartite sugarloaf?

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
I also think tanzanite, amethyst or sapphire would look great with your two gorgeous rings.

Have you contacted Eric to see if he has any other stones that could match your existing ones? It's worth asking him, as he may have more items in his inventory.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s not bad but doesn’t create an impact with the (lack of) colour. I’m not sure if the different shape matters or not.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I like the shape!

I would just pick a different colour.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for chiming in ladies!

Ok, from your responses, I gather moonstone is not the one! Luckily, it is a cheapie from Thailand, just for trying out the color! :lol:
However, I know that I want a transparent stone. I have tried with an opaque stone and its a no go! Thats the reason why I dropped the cornflower blue sapphire idea. A Q is tanzanite a transparent, translucent or opaque stone?

I think I will have to contact Eric of Swalagems again and see what he has in his inventory.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just as there are translucent sapphires, there will be opaque sapphires. The same goes for tanzanite. It’s a matter of what you will be able to find.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
I have more chance to take another pic of all three stones under normal dining room lighting, I still cant seem to capture the brightness of the spinel and tsav. They look a bit too dark, IRL the colors are very bright and transparent. The moonstone came out to be closer to what I see. So if you just imagine the spinel and tsav are as bright and transparent like the moonstone, would that change your mind to the match?

moonstone03.JPG

moonstone01.JPG

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Sarahbear621|1294017221|2812715 said:
I love the stone but I don't see it as a match to your incredible sugarloaf's :love: Who did the setting on those?

My toe is for a spess or an ammy.

Sorry, I almost missed your question. Sarah, I got them set with a jeweller local to me a year ago. Meanwhile, I have moved to another city about 3 hours away. Will probably not use this jeweller again for this project.

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
megeve|1294074672|2813225 said:
I think I will have to contact Eric of Swalagems again and see what he has in his inventory.

You should definitely contact Eric. I have a tanzanite cab from him. :))

ETA: I just saw your new pictures. I still feel the same about the moonstone. It's pretty but I personally would try to find a tanzanite or something else before settling on the moonstone.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Burberrygirl|1294086020|2813355 said:

ETA: I just saw your new pictures. I still feel the same about the moonstone. It's pretty but I personally would try to find a tanzanite or something else before settling on the moonstone.

Thanks Burberrygirl! Was going to answer your other responses! Yes, thats probably what I am going to do. However, I was thinking that since I will be in South Africa for 4 weeks in Feb. I might look/shop around to see what I can find there.

Love your new avatar! Your new rings are soooo gorgeous! I definitely have to see a tanzanite cab with my rings together, just to get an idea!

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
megeve|1294086536|2813363 said:
Burberrygirl|1294086020|2813355 said:

Thanks Burberrygirl! Was going to answer your other responses! Yes, thats probably what I am going to do. However, I was thinking that since I will be in South Africa for 4 weeks in Feb. I might look/shop around to see what I can find there.

Love your new avatar! Your new rings are soooo gorgeous! I definitely have to see a tanzanite cab with my rings together, just to get an idea!

Thank you! :))

That's a good idea! I hope you have lots of fun in South Africa.

You also might want to think about the size of the third stone and how it's going to stack with your other rings. If it's too big the rings might not sit flush.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Burberrygirl|1294027344|2812852 said:
I hope you find what you're looking for. I got sick of trying to source a third stone for my project after two months (thankfully Julia came to my rescue). I can't imagine how you must feel!

Does the size and shape of the third stone have to match the others?

What stone was your third stone? If nothing come up after SAfrica, I might try Julia too, only I have heard, she has a long waiting time!

Size could be the same like the other 2 or slightly bigger but I would prefer the depth to stay about the same.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results