shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions from a naive newbie!

cjm

Rough_Rock
Hi,
I've been trying to research in my spare time. I am coming up on a 20 yr. anniversary and would like a different ring. I'm trying to figure out if I should trade in my ring and get a new one - from the B&M store or order online. I know I can get a much better deal online, but I have a few questions.

1. If I were to order JUST the diamond online, can I have it set by any jeweler?

2. Can appraisal be done by any other jeweler?

3. Do the online companies offer warranties in case I lose or break my stone? I've heard that the jewelers where I'd have the ring set won't offer any warranty either (since the diamond is from a different co. other than the setting). Is jewelry insurance for this purpose?

I aplogize if I sound REALLY naive here. The only experience I've had was with a mall B&M store! It seems that the nice thing about the B&M stores is that the ring/setting would be all covered by the lifetime warranty (of course for a free) - repairs, chipped/lost stone, bent prongs, replating, sizing, etc. It may be more expensive, but maybe more worth it since I wouldn't have to deal with appraisals, dealing with insurance, mailing out my ring anywhere, etc. I'd like to get your opinions. I've been reading about how the CUT is so important, but is it really worth it to order a diamond online? I can't find the setting I like online either (3 stone with center stone raised, side pave/bead set stones, milgrain, matching wedding band).

Thanks for any help! :wavey:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Welcome and congrats on your upcoming anniversary. If you were to buy the stone from an online vendor, you'd need to find a jeweler willing to set the stone in the setting, because not all are willing to do so. If you've bought the setting from them, they may be more helpful.

I'm not sure that I understand your 2nd question. Are you wanting to purchase a stone that doesn't have a certification? If the stone you purchase comes with a cert. (which I highly recommend), then you can always have an independent appraiser verify that it's the same stone, though you may be able to do so yourself, depending on the characteristics of your stone.

The reputable online companies do offer warranties as well as upgrade policies, though you'd need to check that it's still valid if you have someone other than them set the stone. I believe that jewelry insurance could cover this, though I'd imagine that it depends on the company.

What kind of stone are you looking for? You are correct that cut is the most important factor...after that, you have to decide what's more important to you: size, color or clarity. Do you know what shape you want? App. size? Budget? And a photo of a setting that you like is a great start. That way, we can make some suggestions.

Hope this helps!

cjm

Rough_Rock
Wow, thanks for your quick reply!

I will have to "scour" all the online vendors to see if I can find a setting I like. I haven't seen one yet that comes too close to the one I really like at the mall store (where my husband bought the orig. e-ring and wedding band). I would prefer NOT to work with them since I know that I can get a much better deal - and better quality diamond/setting somewhere else. I'm still a little nervous about not seeing the rings in person and having to deal with the mail with these online vendors.

I will also check out the online vendor warranties/policies to see what would be covered if I used a different vendor's setting. Does anyone have experience with this??

I am looking for a center stone around .45-.65, with .25 side diamonds. My budget is $3500 total. The ring I found at the mall store doesn't have it pictured on their website, and I haven't had any luck finding a similar setting. Basically, the center stone is raised in a 4-prong, 2 side .25ct diamonds, and 4 small bead-set diamonds on each side. It also has a milgrain edge. It seems like a "basic" design, although I've only seen it with one main center stone - not the 3-stone design.

Also, I know the importance of a cert. stone, but has there ever been discrepancies with these online vendors? Has anyone ordered a stone, taken it to the appraiser, and found out it was a different stone than they ordered? Just wondering how common that can be.

Thanks! I really appreciate any comments. I don't know of anyone who has ordered a stone online - most people I know have gotten their diamond jewelry at the mall or from a few of the freestanding B&M stores.

jbawwou

Rough_Rock
Hmmm so you are looking for a round? Do you care what color? def or are you ok with hij or even my favorite k? Do you want a hearts and arrows cut?

cjm

Rough_Rock
Yep, I love rounds! I don't mind warmer colors either, H-I-J's would be good! I would love H&A, although I don't "need" it. Do the H&A make the diamond any better when you're looking at it with the naked eye? I know there are Excellent cuts, yet not officially certified as H&A, correct? I have not seen a H&A diamond in person, so maybe I'll take a look at Jared's Peerless diamonds to get an idea. Maybe once I see the H&A's in person I'll think otherwise! I love the symmetry look of them though on all the vendor's sites. :love:

jbawwou

Rough_Rock
I would go to good old gold first. They have a great site where you can see a ton of videos on different cuts and colors all in different lighting. Great way to get an idea.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cjm|1293574143|2808225 said:
Yep, I love rounds! I don't mind warmer colors either, H-I-J's would be good! I would love H&A, although I don't "need" it. Do the H&A make the diamond any better when you're looking at it with the naked eye? in this size range, no, in much larger sizes there are many debates on the topic. I know there are Excellent cuts, yet not officially certified as H&A, correct? H&A is an optical symmetry phenomenon. Can have a diamond with lots of light return and little "leakage" that has poor optical symmetry, can have a 'near-H&A' type with misshapen hearts but visible arrow forms that has lots of light return and little "leakage", can have a H&A with poor light return (though this is unlikely in practice because H&A are expensive to produce, so manufacturers will take care to ensure that they grade well in 'cut' and command that premium), can have a 'traditional' H&A with lots of light return, can have a 'modified H&A' with lots of light return like some of GOG's stock...you see where I am going with this. One does not cause the other, and physical (as noted on the report) and optical symmetry (as seen through a hearts viewer) do not necessarily correlate. I have not seen a H&A diamond in person, so maybe I'll take a look at Jared's Peerless diamonds to get an idea. Jared's peerless line is AGS0 I believe but they don't advertise as H&A? So - definitely worth going out and looking at well cut stonesMaybe once I see the H&A's in person I'll think otherwise! I love the symmetry look of them though on all the vendor's sites. :love:

cjm|1293566816|2808096 said:
Hi,
I've been trying to research in my spare time. I am coming up on a 20 yr. anniversary and would like a different ring. I'm trying to figure out if I should trade in my ring and get a new one - from the B&M store or order online. I know I can get a much better deal online, but I have a few questions.

1. If I were to order JUST the diamond online, can I have it set by any jeweler? yes

2. Can appraisal be done by any other jeweler? many jewellers do offer appraisal services, but IMO if you're going to get one done it's worth going to a professional (independent) appraiser. There is a list under "resources" at the top of the page, several of the appraisers listed are recommended by many PSers, or you might do a search for appraiser in your location to see some reviews

3. Do the online companies offer warranties in case I lose or break my stone? I've heard that the jewelers where I'd have the ring set won't offer any warranty either (since the diamond is from a different co. other than the setting). Is jewelry insurance for this purpose? most will not offer any guarantees/warranties on an outside stone - in fact, most will apply additional setting charges. Insurance on the loose stone for shipping and setting is a much safer route - Jeweler's Mutual will insure loose stones for shipping and setting with an appraisal that includes a description of the setting and retail replacement value, I don't know about other insurance vendors but something to investigate..

I aplogize if I sound REALLY naive here. The only experience I've had was with a mall B&M store! It seems that the nice thing about the B&M stores is that the ring/setting would be all covered by the lifetime warranty (of course for a free) - repairs, chipped/lost stone, bent prongs, replating, sizing, etc. It may be more expensive, but maybe more worth it since I wouldn't have to deal with appraisals, dealing with insurance, mailing out my ring anywhere, etc. I'd like to get your opinions. I've been reading about how the CUT is so important, but is it really worth it to order a diamond online? I can't find the setting I like online either (3 stone with center stone raised, side pave/bead set stones, milgrain, matching wedding band). there are real advantages to having a trusted local jeweller - and bench - some of which you have listed above. Buying online usually affords lower pricepoints for the same quality (or better) goods, but if you are more comfortable buying in-person locally it may be worth it. You would still have to deal with an appraisal - or at least I strongly recommend getting one done after the stone is set, the appraiser can tell you about the quality of the setting and setting job as well, but of course shipping is a non-issue.

Thanks for any help! :wavey:

cjm

Rough_Rock
Thank you all SO much for your responses. I knew I could count on the great people here on this forum! I never thought I would be putting so much research into upgrading my ring. It's sure confusing at times, but I'm having fun learning in this process!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elle10|1293605063|2808713 said:
Congrats on your 20th anniversary (and on your ring upgrade)! Just want to add that if you are buying your stone online, make sure you buy a diamond that comes with a diamond grading report from GIA (Gemological Institute of America). You'll want this in addition to your appraisal because it helps you understand what you're buying, including the 4 C's and if it's been enhanced or treated in any way. You've put 20 years into a marriage and you deserve to know all the dirt on your rock ;-) Any reputable jeweler, even online, will be glad to get you a report. Good luck in your search!

AGS will work as well.

cjm

Rough_Rock
That 3 stone is pretty, but I'd like the center stone to sit a little higher, and I'd like the wedding band to come up flush with the ring - not sure about how that would work with a trellis - I'll have to see some in person!

Thanks for helping! :appl:

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
You can usually have your stone set higher than what a generic photo would show. Getting the band to sit flush is another story, especially with a 3 stone where the center stone is larger and bows out. You might be talking custom.

cjm

Rough_Rock
I saw the ring I want at a mall store, but I'm not sure if it's just "their" ring or who the manufacturer is. It is a 3 stone with a raised center (.50ct center with .25 sides). Because of the raised center, the wedding band was able to be flush with the ring. I'm really surprised I haven't found something similar in some of the online vendors! I guess I could call them and see what could be done. I wish I had a picture to post to get everyone's opinion! Maybe I'll have to go the mall store route and get the setting there - and get a center diamond through an oline vendor. But then I won't get the mall store warranty and I'm not sure I would trust them to set the diamond.

Hmm....

jbawwou

Rough_Rock
It it is "their" setting you could ask about just buying the setting from them without the diamonds. Just call and ask.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
cjm|1293736441|2810051 said:
But then I won't get the mall store warranty and I'm not sure I would trust them to set the diamond.

Hmm....

Make sure you know what their "warranty" covers. People have been confused about these so-called warranties. Are you thinking it's like insurance where you are covered for loss or damage? Does it cover repairs or lost stones? Read the fine print and ask questions.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results