shape
carat
color
clarity

Post your Mommy tricks!

meresal

Ideal_Rock
As in, what ways do you cut costs and use things longer than normal:

-I whole heartedly recommend buying the biggest bottle possible from the beginning. The big bottles hold just as much as the small ones, and you don't have to buy new ones once your LO starts eating more.
We started with the 9oz Tommee Tippee bottles and just change the nipple as C gets older. The nipples are much cheaper than buying all new bottles.

-Also, I realized I had TONS of Size 2 diapers left over when they weren't big enough to hold everything overnight anymore. Size 2 still fit him, so... I use bigger diapers at night, and continue to use the smaller ones during the day, just changing them more frequently. That way I don't have a huge box of wasted diapers in my closet.

Add whatever you want! I think we could all learn some great tips from eachother!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I get the baby food (Gerber) and once they are empty, I wash them and refill them with homemade baby food to freeze for later. Perfect size!

taovandel

Brilliant_Rock
I second the buying the bigger bottles only.....It's such a waste of money to buy the little 4 oz. bottles.

You don't have to buy the expensive name brand formula (well, unless there are medical reasons--reflux, our other dietary reasons)!! I wish I could tell everyone this...We buy Target brand formula (Pedi said it was 100% fine) which is about $10.00 cheaper than Similac....we swapped when he was like 4 months old and I regret that I wasted so much money for 3 months!

I'll have to think of some other things we do...

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
For money tips:

We use cheap diapers during the day (as long as they don't cause a rash or anything) because they're changed so often anyway. We use Pampers at night so she doesn't leak through. Always use coupons for diapers. You can sign up for tons of emails and regular mailings. You can also have your mom, MIL, etc sign up.

Obviously buy in bulk, but not until size 3 diapers. They seem to stay in size 3 for quite a while and the larger sizes. Buy wipes in bulk and refill your containers. Or better yet, just use a washcloth.

Ditto bigger bottles and off brand formula.

Pack your own snacks. I used the formula container (with 3 spaces for premeasured powder) to carry a variety of snacks.

Other tips:

I've posted this in the preggo thread and I think the mommy thread but, double up on sheets in the crib. Layer sheet and protector and another sheet and protector. If baby wets through in the middle of the night. Just strip off the top set and you have fresh, clean, and still warm sheets underneath.

Always have garbage bags (even little target bags) in the car. Also carry paper towels and Wet Ones. As you get into toddler years, you'll be SO glad to have those supplies.

Also during toddler years, keep a potty chair in your trunk. If they gotta go, there is no waiting til we get there.

As your child gets older and doesn't want to go to bed, let them "read" for a few minutes with their lamp on alone. This encourages reading, independence and eliminates bedtime battle. You tell them how you know they are responsible and will read for a few minutes and then turn off the lamp and go to sleep.

And, possibly the biggest tip of all (not really a trick) discover what kind of a learner your child is. JT has to see and do before he gets it.

That's all I've got for now.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results