shape
carat
color
clarity

Stone advise?

RTols88

Rough_Rock
So I'm thinking of getting a custom ring made for my boyfriend I was thinking of doing a tension setting with a garnet is that a good idea? Also is a 5.74mm round stone too small for a mans size 9.5 ring?

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
It depends on the stone. What kind of inclusions are in it? Where are the inclusions?

The size of the stone isn't too small, the band would be at least 6mm which is a comfortable size (that's the size of mine)

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Check with whomever you were thinking of to make the ring to see if they would tension set a garnet. A lot of jewelers will only tension set diamonds.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the size of stone is fine for a man's ring and agree the band should be about the same width. I think it would be safer to have the stone bezel set.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i personally would not tension set a garnet. but that is me.

MoZo, currently in the Land Down Under otherwise known as Australia

Rae~

Shiny_Rock
I would also err on the cautious side re tension setting a garnet, but there are many faux tension settings out there that mimic the "look" of a tension setting, without (I believe) many of the associated risks. Perhaps this might be a happy medium for you? No prongs, no bezel, but still a relatively safe setting.

Let me know if you'd like examples - I have one in particular that is the inspiration for my FI's wedding ring, and it is a faux tension setting. I'd be happy to post it when I can access a copy in a couple of hours. :)

RTols88

Rough_Rock
Rae~|1289704908|2765238 said:
I would also err on the cautious side re tension setting a garnet, but there are many faux tension settings out there that mimic the "look" of a tension setting, without (I believe) many of the associated risks. Perhaps this might be a happy medium for you? No prongs, no bezel, but still a relatively safe setting.

Let me know if you'd like examples - I have one in particular that is the inspiration for my FI's wedding ring, and it is a faux tension setting. I'd be happy to post it when I can access a copy in a couple of hours. :)
yes please i'd love picture

Rae~

Shiny_Rock
Here is the style I am basing my FI's wedding ring on:

favourite_mensring_01.jpg

It has a "bridge" of metal underneath the stone so it's not a true tension setting... but IMHO it certainly is similar.

Hope this gives you some more ideas. :)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's another example for you. From the top, the side diamonds appear to be tension set but if you look from the side, you'll see a bar underneath to give them strength. The centre Chameleon Diamond is tension set without anything under.

Hope that helps.

Diamond Chameleon9.JPG

Diamond Chameleon4 trim for PS.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My local jeweller refuses to even bezel a garnet although my other favourite local jeweller will. However, I'm sure none will tension set a garnet even if it is clean. You can get the pseudo tension setting where it appears like a tension setting from the top but there will be a metal connecting bridge underneath to provide structural support.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results