carat
color
clarity

Ruby treatments-glass filled

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi All,

I have about 10-12 rubies I purchased 5 yrs ago. I sent 2 to AGL-one came back ruby-heat treated, the other, came back composite,
glass filled.
So I have been pondering what to do with the 10 I am uncertain as to the exact treatment. I feel they are most likely glass filled. Several of them are quite nice looking. Here is the question:

Do you think I could put these in a jewelers cleaning machine. The glass would melt and come out of the fissures and white streaks may show. This by itself would tell me which ones are glass filled, and I don't have to pay for more reports.

If per chance there was another one that was heat only(these were all sold as heat only) then perhaps the stone would remain in tact without any obvious fissures.

These were very inexpensive, but look good. But I don't think I would make jewelry out of them,, unless they were heat treated.

Is this a good solution?

Annette

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If they look good and were inexpensive AND you suspect a high amount of treatment then I'd just say to enjoy them as they are! There's no need to spend money on getting them tested unless you want absolute surety and I certainly wouldn't test them by sticking them in jeweller's acid. You'd ruin a nice looking stone that you could otherwise use in a "cheap" but pretty project at some point.

I guess, if it were me, I'd either save up and get them tested but only do it when I had spare money OR just enjoy them.

Edit: If they were sold as "heat only" then do you have any recourse to the original vendor? I would certainly persue getting the costs back for the testing for the one that proved to be composite. You could always ask if they'd pay for the remaining 10 to be tested - if you don't ask, you don't get! :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results