shape
carat
color
clarity

hair cut help....

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going in on Monday to get my hair cut for the first time in over 6 years. I've only got a vague idea what I want (length cut to mid-back, gently layered) so I think I'm okay there.

How do I tip??? How much do I tip?????

Last time I wasn't sure exactly what to do with the tip and kind of held it out until someone took it :oops: and since I didn't know how much was customary, I erred on the side of generosity and left something like $30 for a $100 perm/cut.

So......
How much should I tip? --- the usual 15-20% more?

Who do I give it to? --- the woman who cut my hair immediately after she finishes? Th

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I generally make it a rule to tip the 15% at least, and after that it truly depends upon the service provided to me. Did they talk to me? Was it quick and efficient while still giving me a GOOD haircut? Were the services provided reasonable?

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I typically tip between 15-20% (I always go to the same girl)...I give it to the person who cut my hair after I have paid for my bill at the reception desk. They usually have little envelopes at the desk to put the tip into that you can then go put down at her station :)

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I tip 20%ish

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
I tip 20%. Tonight I'm trying a new gal for haircuts who is a lot closer to my house. She's only charging me $5 :shock: which she says she does for all new clients. I'll tip her based on her normal rate of $30 though 8)

Aryana

Shiny_Rock
I tip the stylist 20% and the hair wash girl several dollars. At the salon where I go the stylists have assistants (people in training) and I tip them at least $5. I had no idea how much to tip the assistant so I actually asked the receptionist what was customary and the response was that some people don't tip them and others give about $5, so that is what I do. (I always wonder if I should tip the assistant more since cut and color are expensive and $5 is not even 5% of the total...)

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
I tip around 20% for both cuts and colors (separate salons/stylists).

Re: hair washers, assistants, someone who blow dries if my stylist is busy... I'm always torn on this one. My colorist who I've gone to for about 15 years (wow I've been highlighting for 15 years, that's ridiculous!) said that someone who does a wash/blowdry or whatever gets paid per service rendered, in addition to usually the main stylist giving a portion of his/her tip to the people who helped them out that day/shift. So she essentially told me it's way too much to tip them too. I think it is customary (based on hair professionals I know) for the hair stylists tip out the people that help them (similar to waitresses tipping out the bartender, bus staff, etc.) but I'm for sure not a stylist and I'm sure it varies everywhere, so what do I know!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results