shape
carat
color
clarity

It came from the '80's....

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
and needs to be brought into the 21st century. I got this for a steal back when I was still wearing yellow gold. I would really like to be able to wear it again, but can't spend more than about $250. It's a tourmaline measuring (according to the appraisal) 10.12 x 7.9 x 4.82. I was thinking of a danielm u-prong setting in white gold, like this:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/56657840/garnet-u-prong-ring

Any suggestions, comments or ideas are greatly appreciated. (And please excuse the horrible photography.)

P1010004.jpg

P1010010.jpg

cemrn

Brilliant_Rock
He does nice work and it will definately update the ring. That setting looks like it might have some weight to it. Good time to sell your gold. I did and it funded my pink tourmaline.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I doubt the color of that stone would open up in a re-set, but from the dimensions I would expect there to be a window; as it is the stone looks to be so dark the window wouldn't matter. I would leave it as it is, a marvelous historic artifact of it's time.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Sooooooo Vapid, are you saying the stone's not worth spending any money on? You won't hurt my feelings; I can always sell it, there's a ton of gold. It's just been sitting in my safe because I can't get the stupid thing on.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry that might have seemed harsh. I can't say if it's worth spending money on or not all I've seen is these 2 pics. But between those two pics I saw only one facet flashed with color. You know the stone far better. Do you love it? Does it have sentimental value? Do you have any other pictures?

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
No, no, not harsh at all. I knew very little about jewelry when I bought it and it was an impulse purchase from a really bad year of my life........and oh, good grief..........now that I really think about it, I think I'd like to get rid of that bad karma. (Remember The Munsters episode with the fregosi emerald?) Thanks for helping with that mini-ephipany.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Since you really don't wear the ring, why don't you unset the stone and sell the gold? Then, with the stone in hand (and lots of ictures for us :naughty:) you can decide if it is worth resetting or if you should look for a new stone, using whatever you get from the gold as your budget?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Ah the Fregosi Emerald. I've always wanted a gem with a curse, like the hope diamond. Maybe I can find a cursor(?) to curse one of the stones I already have. Hmm, theres an emerald here...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are not attached to the stone, I’d scrap the setting for the gold value. In the face up picture, the tourmaline is almost black except for a hint of green flash. From the side view, the body colour appears to be black. ;(

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not think that the setting is bad... It is slightly vintage, but has certain style, just needs a different stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results